94's Dinky Rev help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94's Dinky Rev help!

Hi there, I'm Val from Toronto, Canada! I'm new to the forum!

I used to have a 92' Japanese Jackson Dinky Reverse in the cool Stone finish, I loved that guitar but ended up regretfully selling it to fund another purchase around 2000's.

Long story short, I recently found the same one but from 94 for cheap around my area and bought it without hesitation. The problem is, the neck is not in great shape, lots of wear, scratches, dings and uneven frets, seems like it got a rough life. Surprisingly, the body is in great shape, I think the stone finish is very durable.

Bridge has almost no rust, but it seems like 3 of the original locking block inserts are not there, they were replaced with standard Floyd blocks that don't align properly with the locking screws and are breaking apart.

The previous owner changed the pickups too and put some nasty Amazon $20 humbuckers in it and lost the original ones.

Anyways, now I'm looking to give this guitar a second chance, and I may need your help to accomplish it.

Instead of investing on trying to salvage the old neck, I'm planing to get a custom neck made. I'm looking for builders that can pull this off, any ideas? I'm digging those Charvel Strat headstock, so I was thinking something like this to pay homage to the original reversed headstock, here is a quick Photoshop rendition of what I have in mind, what do you guys think?

The second thing I'm looking to get is the right insert blocks, I've been looking around and they seem hard to find, any clues?

And the third and final thing where I need your help is with pickups, I want this to be a good all-around kind of guitar, mostly but not limited to Rock. Which pickups do you recommend for this one based on the wood (I think is Basswood) and the rest of specs? The usual SD JB/JAZZ? DiMarzio TZ/AN? Any other? Or maybe the originals? I don't know the original pickup models, Open to suggestions!

Thank you guys! I'm so excited to be a Jackson guitar owner again, can't wait to have this baby in playing condition again!

Cheers.
    Last edited by valdex; 08-18-2020, 09:50 PM.

I can't seem to view your images. Looks like you're trying to hotlink from a Google Photos account perhaps? Not sure how to do it but you might need to enable sharing. Or, what I would do is upload the photos to another free external image hosting site (https://www.google.ca/search?newwind...4dUDCAg&uact=5) and then copy-paste the generated links back here.

Comment

Thank you NOTP! You are right I was using Google but didn't work! I've just edited my post with some new links, hope it works now!

Comment

Hey valdex

How is the project coming along?
        Nice looking body finish.

I personally don't know of all the aftermarket
        neck manufacturers.

My own particular favorite is the pointed style with
        Sharkfin inlays on Ebony or Rosewood.

Good Luck with your Project!
        I am interested in the outcome!!

Comment

If you go for a reverse strathead neck it is very hard to beat Musikraft. I have a Musikraft on my Jolly Roger that I bought in 2006 and it is KILLER!!!

Yes obligatory pic of said Jolly Roger...

Comment

Razor

Very nice!

Did you assemble the neck to the body?

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
              Razor

Very nice!

Did you assemble the neck to the body?
              Sure did. I wanted the graphic but could not afford the real deal Mike Learn Cloudy Skies Jolly Roger. Damn that and the Sunset Jolly Roger are still my favorite two graphics of all time.

I sent the Model 2 body off and ordered the neck from Musikraft. The neck was perfect and fit perfectly out of the box and it has been my favorite guitar ever since. This is the spec sheet when I bought the neck from Musikraft.

Comment

Razor

You have Great Vision!
                That is a Fantastic piece of Guitart!!
                Tastefully done, and probably Face Melting sound!!

Thank You For Sharing, And Inspiration!
                ​​​​​​​Hopefully valdex will update when the choice is made.
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

Hey guys, so, the project is coming along, still trying to find a good but affordable neck builder, I contacted a couple of people, Butala Custom Guitars here in Canada, good prices but I'm having lots of issues with communication, he is not replying my emails anymore. I briefly used the neck configurator at the Musikraft site and with the basic options we are looking to a USD 450+ neck, which once converted to Canadian dollars is way out of my budget! Do you guys any other option around?

I'm still hesitant about pickup options, I've found an USA made Jackson J80C in my loose pickups box, not sure if it is the same neck pickup model that was installed in a Japanese DK of this era, but I'm willing to try it, I just need to find an equivalent J85 Rail Pickup. Honestly, I don't even remember if the original pickups were any good, it was 25 years ago!

Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated with my findings!

Thanks!

Comment

You get what you pay for. If I couldn't find a legit Jackson/Charvel neck then I'd be buying one from Musikraft. It boils down to how much money you want to spend on a mutt that you'll never get your money out of. That's the joys of making a guitar what you want. It costs more than it's worth.

Comment

Bump! Any luck sourcing the parts you're looking for?

Comment

Working...
                      X