Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star body shape vs Superstrat shape

Hi folks, it is my first post!
    I got a question - I have been always a strat cat and all my guitars, past and present, are superstrats. Now, I have been really gassing for some time to get a star guitar in the style of Charvel Star, Kramer Voyager, etc. I am thinking about a Gus G signature by Jackson but never really had a chance to play a guitar with this shape.

My question is - how does it compare to Explorers and Superstrats? I am rather short, 5 feet 8 inches, and have heard that Explorer-style guitars (Gibson, Epi) are simply too big for me. Now I know that the star body is lighter (a triangular section of its rear end cut out), but I am afraid that the giant rear fin may still be a problem for me. I am also really into lightweight guitars so poplar and basswood are preferred woods. Any thoughts?

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...s32/2916911555
    Last edited by StarBody; 04-04-2020, 02:49 PM.

Welcome to the forum. I've had a Charvel Star and two Rhoads models. I prefer them to Explorers since they are smaller, but an Explorer is not really too bad. I'm also only 5'5". The Star body is very comfortable to play sitting and standing. The Gus G. Star looks great and I'd also like to get one eventually.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

love stars, both for looks and playing. I wouldn't worry about the size. I've seen guys way smaller than both of you play stars and look good.

one thing to note is strap button position. if the strap button is not located on the back of the neck heel, the guitar WILL neck dive. that's just a consequence of the balance of the shape. looks like jackson/gus understand this, as the button's in the right position in that model. on other guitars I've had to move the button which, for neck-thru/set neck, involves drilling a new hole.

Comment

Lita Ford is about 5'5" and played Explorers and Hamer Standards, same as Pete Willis from Def Leppard who was only like 5'2". They looked fine with them.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Lita Ford is about 5'5" and played Explorers and Hamer Standards, same as Pete Willis from Def Leppard who was only like 5'2". They looked fine with them.
          Thank you for your feedback. Seems like Star/Explorer-shaped guitars are not only for tall guys. Gus G doesn't seem too tall. Eddie Van Halen (Ibanez Shark Destroyer or Danelectro/Charvel Star) is 5'8 too, pretty much just like me (he is a better player though). Dave Hill is about 163 (5'4") and he played Explorer for a while (at least it was featured in some promo videos).
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QlEv2oVTWs
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFwXV9cF-k

That said I am not worried about "looking good" but the overall playability. I guess I will have to order the axe from a shop that accepts returns and try it.
          Last edited by StarBody; 04-05-2020, 06:56 AM.

Comment

More to the point, my question should be: is the Charvel/Jackson star body slightly smaller compared to Explorer like let's say the Explorer Pro or Matthias Jabs Explorer 90 (90% the body size of a regular Explorer)? See the pics. Based on side-to-side comparison between a Chavel Star and a Kramer Imperial, it is not. However, given the fact that Gus G is about 5'8 (?), I guess his signature might be actually smaller. Has anyone of you played one of his Jackson Star signatures?

http://kieselguitarsbbs.com/userpix/...lorerPro_1.jpg
            http://kieselguitarsbbs.com/userpix/349_Guits09_1.jpg
            Last edited by StarBody; 04-05-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I love the Kelly shape and find it great to play. That said, I usually tend to go to the soloist.

Comment

That's a pic of my old Charvel Star and my Kramer Imperial. I traded the Star away but still own the Kramer. They were definitely similar in size, maybe the Charvel slightly smaller. Not sure how the Imperial compares to a Gibson Explorer, as I've never owned any Gibson besides a Les Paul. I actually haven't even played the Kramer in a few years since it was repainted and still needs new pickups wired in.

Comment

Isn't the Kelly smaller than the Explorer?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    Isn't the Kelly smaller than the Explorer?
                    It is since Marty Friedman had them size it down. There was the King Kelly originally, then medium, then the Marty size we know today.

Comment

Working...
                    X