No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncans louder than EMG's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymour Duncans louder than EMG\'s???

who else using Live Wire? i thought active pickups don't sound good on solid state.

Comment

Nope. You can get good tone with active pickups and a good solid state amp.

Originally posted by diospada:
      active pickups don't sound good with solid state amps?? Is that really true???...
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
      \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

It's all a matter of personal preference. I'm using EMGs on my solid state Marshall and they sound great. My EMG-equipped KE3 is the best-sounding guitar I currently own.

Comment

Hey McD - sweet avatar [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] - is she a friend of yours? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(in case this thread is resurrected someday and he's got a pic of some guy instead of the current one, here's the one I'm referring to)

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I experimented with it for a little while with tube (JCM800). It's pretty cool, I guess. I'd rather use a Boss SD-1 and/or MXR Micro Amp for solo boost (dirty & clean, respectively).

McD

Originally posted by zx12r:
              who else using Live Wire? i thought active pickups don't sound good on solid state.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

On the subject of pickup volume, you can check dimarzio.com for their pickup specs (you're looking for output). I am using the AirZone in most of my guitars and the D-Sonic in my JJ Paul. I went through several pickups until I settled on the AirZone (Dimarzio Tone Zone, Dimarzio Norton, Duncan Distortion, Duncan JB, Duncan EVH, EMG: 81, 85, 89). It comes with high recommendations from me. Provided you've got a similar set up I think it's worth checking out (50w tube half stack, pedals, and Strat's, Y2KV's, and KV2T).

McD

Comment

active pickups don't sound good with solid state amps?? Is that really true???...

Comment

LOL!!!

Comment

I've A/B'd A Seymour Duncan ParallelAxis Distortion in the same guitar, same amp & setup within 10 minutes of each other & the Duncan is louder. EMG's are "clearer" or more "transparent" with the volume of the amp all the way up but Duncans are louder.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
                        Actually, I've noticed this, too, when switching between my Dinky (EMGs) and Kelly (Duncans). The EMGs seem to need a little more volume, and certainly respond better with it. I suspect the actual issue has less to do with volume, and more to do with the EMGs flatter EQ response. That can make them sound "weak" compared to the Duncans.

I'm not an EMG fan either. They're OK, but not "all that". Give me 'cans or 'zos any day. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have noticed that my 2002 SL2 with the stock SDs tends to be louder then the EMG equiped guitars I have, including a KV, and a LP.
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I love the avo mcd

Comment

Do you guys like screamin demans over emg 81???????

Comment

I don`t like the EMG 81 at all, but my favorite pickup is the EMG 85. I never tried a Sreaming Deamon pickup, what are they like as I don`t know anyone that uesze them except for george? jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X