I STAND CORRECTED - APOLOGIES TO JOE {CHARVEL750}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I STAND CORRECTED - APOLOGIES TO JOE {CHARVEL750}

Jeez, I'd take either one of 'em! That blood-red one with the EMG's is the kissin' cousin of the Soloist I had back in the early '90s--without the Floyd conversion, of course. I know it's not the same guitar, though, because mine did not have a serial number. I still miss that guitar and would have beaten Joe to the punch for it if I had only had the $$$.

Glad things have worked out. Doc and Joe are two of the good guys on this forum, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dryer:
      the shop, it's phones and e-mail
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">its

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I never understood that rule. If it was "Doc's phone", you have the apostrophe to indicate the possessive relationship between Doc and the phone, as opposed to "Docs phone", which looks like there are multiple Docs with a phone.

So why doesn't the possessive apostrophe apply to "it's phones" where "it" is the shop? If Doc had said "the shop's phones", he would've been correct.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

It looks like you understand the rule, what you aren't clear on is the exception to it. "It" with an "'s" added forms a contraction. As a result you can't use the possessive apostrophe with "It" since it changes the meaning to "It is".
          The many exceptions to the English language are what make it one of the hardest to learn.

-Kyle

Comment

but then likewise, "Doc is" can be contracted to "Doc's", as in "Doc's not a guy you want to messing with!". I understand that it's an exception to the rule, but what I never understood was why can't "It's" be used in the same manner?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

It" with an "'s" added forms a contraction. As a result you can't use the possessive apostrophe with "It" since it changes the meaning to "It is".

so if you use it in the pointed out phrase,

"the shop, it's phones and e-mail" is correct

translation

"the shop, it is phones and email"

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Also BB's chat and email are considered informal communication where improper grammar is accepted, which is why you don't see caps for proper names and ......separating sentences and [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] show me in the proper English etiquette where [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] fits in...hehhehehe

[ December 31, 2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Shawn Lutz ]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

All right, now as you know I teach Geology and Earth/Space Science, but my grammar and literary skills are there too. Shawn said, "so if you use it in the pointed out phrase,

'the shop, it's phones and e-mail' is correct

No, it's not correct. The only time you use "it's" is when you mean to say "it is." You never can show possession of 'it.' (In best Metallica voice) You know it's sad but true...
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:

so if you use it in the pointed out phrase,

"the shop, it's phones and e-mail" is correct

translation

"the shop, it is phones and email"
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Joe, Shawn had it right. He was saying if the phrase were construed to be correct like that, then its translation would actually be different.

[ January 01, 2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah, yes, I see that now. Good job, Shawn. Save the kidz one lil one at a time!
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

[img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] Here's(heres;hears;heirs) to all you fukkin English majors! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X