Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Jacksons?

Originally posted by scotty:
    I have a Jap Jackson I bought off EBAY that is AFU. At the nut the strings are fine but when you get down near 24th frets you realize that the strings almost fall off the top on the fret board and you have too much fretboard down on the high E string. Sure makes playing it a little funky. I havent taken it apart yet, But I dought there is much I can do about it. This was a disappointing purchase.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's a bolt-on, it's a rather easy fix: Unscrew the neck bolts a little, straighten the neck and tighten the screws back down.

Comment

I played a USA SL2H at a local store and wasn't too impressed with it.

The action was WAY too high, the build itself was very good, but I liked the DK2S that was hanging beside it much better. The unpainted neck of the DK2S felt smoother and faster, and it seemed to have more acoustic resonance.

I still want to own a USA Soloist sometime in the future, but I would probably order one from the Custom Shop with an unpainted neck. (Is an oiled neck an option?)

Comment

I'm pleased to see that most of the problems that you've encountered were just down to poorly maintained or abused instuments, or just personal taste issues. That's what I was hoping to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans:
          I'm pleased to see that most of the problems that you've encountered were just down to poorly maintained or abused instuments, or just personal taste issues. That's what I was hoping to hear!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine wasn't. It was just a shitty piece of wood.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Myr first Jackson was a pretty bad one, a PS4, I think it is a well know piece of wood over here. Anyway, those performers are not my piece of work and this one in particular had a bad tremolo (the trembar broke out of its socket after a dive bomb) and had bad pickups, really noizy and microphonic. The neck was not bad, but the debacle with the tremolo was what made me turn away from jackson/charvel for a couple of years and get an Ibanez.
            Now I am a proud owner of a model 6, because I saw a vid of evanescence (bring me to life) and I thought something like: "those guitars still smoke" and I bought myself a "6" and I am still quite content with it.

Harrald

Comment

I fixed the neck thanks to you guys, plays like a champ now. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Ive never owned a bad Jackson or Charvel. I've been lucky that way. Either that or it's my ability to ID a bad guitar when I hear one. As long as the neck is straight and the truss rod works the action can always be fixed. Tone however is another issue. Some guitars are just dead wood and sound like ass flatulants included.
                I have encountered wiring issues, and setup issues and what not none of which I couldn't handle myself. I get the advantage of being able to check guitars out at work b4 buying them which helps big time with dead wood.
                Gil

Comment

The only Jacksons I would never own are the Indian and some of the Korean made guitars. Those things just feel like crap. And that's just about all I ever see at a guitar store anymore.

Comment

played a archtop ina music store in 88 that was horrible, dont rememebr it might have been a professional? but not sure

Comment

If it was 88 it wasn't a professional. No Japanese Jacksons until 1990. Maybe it needed a new set of strings and a setup?

Comment

set up might have dont it, it was insainly stiff, but i still played it for a couple hours

Comment

Working...
                        X