Tribute to the Ex-Collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to the Ex-Collectors

Diego and I were talking last night about the number of collectors that come and go in this hobby for one reason or another. Divorce, bankruptcy, changing interests, etc., have caused a few to sell hundreds of guitars and move on.

Care to name a few?

Of course Rob Lane comes to mind, but I wasn't a collector when he sold out (or a lot of his stuff would be in Texas). Tim Rose is another. While some on this board don't like him, he made his peace with me and one of the (if not THE) most important pieces in my collection came via him, and at a great price.

Who else is there?

Brett

Re: Tribute to the Ex-Collectors

Larry Langell...he had a killer site back in the day not to mention some extremely rare Jacksons.

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

I dealt with Tim and he was a great person to deal with (in my case). I haven't been around long enough to get to know many collectors. I hear names dropped once in a while, but that is the extent of it.

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I didn't even know Tim had bailed from the scene. I just assumed he wasn't actively participating in the Boards.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
          Tim Rose is a decent guy, at least in my dealings with him. I got one of my favorite guitars from him, he even held it for a few weeks for me to come up with the cash, when he could have sold it to others without waiting. I'd been at him for a year or so on the guitar, and he let me knew ahead of time that he was planning on selling it. I thought that was really cool. He also contributed a lot to the board. I wish him well.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">FWIW - as I'm a definite new guy around here and have read some stuff about Tim Rose posted here, I consider Tim a good if not great friend and have spent quite a bit of time with him in the last year...He has exposed me to a ton of different things Charvel / Jackson - I've played and seen some great examples of guitars of his (including the factory scalloped green one...awesome)and felt the mojo from them that either was there because they ARE great guitars or because they somehow transported me back to the 80's...I don't know whats right or wrong with these guitars, but I do know it's hard to please everybody, and Tim's got a huge heart and has helped me a ton.

Back to your regularly scheduled program [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

Brett, how do you determine if somebody is a collector or not? I would think that a non-player with 1 guitar could be considered a collector. I have around 20 and I play most of them as much as I can although I am partial to my 7-up green el-cheapo 275dlx. Am I a collector in your eyes? Probably not. I would be considered a player with G.A.S. What if I totally stopped playing but kept them all. Would I then become a collector?

Comment

Interesting post jg. I have thought about that as well. There are several schools of thought on who is and isn't a collector. I think it all boils down to what you feel you are. I don't see myself as a collector but rather an enthusiast. I think that is based on the negative stereotyping of collectors I frequently encounter. In reality because I search out and prefer to own a rather specific guitar brand (and even a specific era in my case) I am technically a collector.

Comment

Half the "collectors" are actually speculators...

Comment

Originally posted by A.Pulverizer:
                  Half the "collectors" are actually speculators...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haha...good call...I think I fall into the speculator who puts his investments to work for himself. I never try to buy guitars that I don't think I can at least break even on. And if it turns out to be a better player than the ones I already have, then it will stay aroud for quite a while if not ever.

Lately, though I really only play a guitar that I put together myself from parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                    Interesting post jg. I have thought about that as well. There are several schools of thought on who is and isn't a collector. I think it all boils down to what you feel you are. I don't see myself as a collector but rather an enthusiast. I think that is based on the negative stereotyping of collectors I frequently encounter. In reality because I search out and prefer to own a rather specific guitar brand (and even a specific era in my case) I am technically a collector.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am a collecting enthusiast myself. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm just a pack rat....... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I have a knack for collecting dust.

Comment

I'll go with Pack Rat as well [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have delt with Tim Rose a couple of times and he treated me with respect when quite a few on C.C.treated me like SHI*.But that type of thing seems to happen over there.No biggie.I did meet some very nice people there and learned a ton about C/Js which I will be eternally grateful for. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have to say that there are many types of collectors (or whatever other word we want to choose to describe the act of buying (and maybe selling) guitars).

I would say that a collector is not really defined by the # of guitars but by the interest of buying guitars for any reason. If you buy a special series of guitars or special qualities that the guitars may have, then I would say that you are a collector.

I personally like to buy many types of guitars, from fender, gibson, BC Rich, and MOSTLY JACKSON'S. I would consider myself a collector of Jacksons and a collector of guitars in general. I specifically LOVE rare guitars and especially rare and old Jackson's. I even like certain Japanese Jackson's.

I've always had good experience (and talks) with Tim, and even almost bought a few guitars from him... ONE that I really REGRET not buying!!!! :-(

I have to throw in another of your favorites AL Z... ;-)

Diego

Comment

Working...
                              X