Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone differnces between a Dinky body and full size Strat body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone differnces between a Dinky body and full size Strat body?

Wood traits aside, anybody have any thoughts on the tone characteristic differences between these two? I haven't had a chance to have both side by side for any length of time. Lets say both are alder, loaded with two buckers & hardtail...

Thanks
    Steve E

Re: Tone differnces between a Dinky body and full size Strat body?

I can't imagine there being a significant advantage for better tone between a Dinky and Strat body. As with all tonal characteristics, there are numerous factors that produce it: your fingers and personal playing style, your amp, your string gauge, your effects, your pickups, and all of about another 20 factors. Even if all of those things were equal I doubt anyone could sonically tell the difference.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I guess we are talking a 7/8's size vs full size body...I know the hardtail vs. trem issue is a big factor...but yeah, there are different variables...I still end up sounding like me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

I found that Dinky bodies produce 7/8's the tone of a Strat which is why I prefer the full sized strat bodies. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I never understood the point of a dinky anyway..a strat body isnt difficult to play [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I´m not so good at converting centimeters to feet and inches, but I think I´m about 5´6" or 5´7"...so I guess the thing about a strat looking too big is just a state of mind [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
            I think Danny's like 5' tall or something like that. A full-size Strat isn't really that much bigger than a Dinky. I'm only 5'5" and both look fine on me. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I tower over you guys at 5'7" - and the Dinky size is more comfortble for me too...that said - I think I'm leaning towards ordering up a swampash Dinky/Strathead GMW...

Steve E

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L:
              I don´t know how short Danny is, but I think a full-size strat looks too big on me...so I guess I´m one of those guys [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Who the heck are you, Billy Barty??? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                I prefer the tone of 5/8" pickup ring screws over 1/2". [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed, but they have to be black. The chrome and gold are too bright! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

a full size definately has a bigger sound than a 7/8th size [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

But what if you make 7 the highest number?

[img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                      I found that Dinky bodies produce 7/8's the tone of a Strat which is why I prefer the full sized strat bodies. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I never understood the point of a dinky anyway..a strat body isnt difficult to play [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think they were trying to corner the Danny Spitz size guy market [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer the tone of 5/8" pickup ring screws over 1/2". [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                          But what if you make 7 the highest number?

[img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then Nigel's amp would be utterly useless, wouldnit?

Comment

Originally posted by speed monkey:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think they were trying to corner the Danny Spitz size guy market [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don´t know how short Danny is, but I think a full-size strat looks too big on me...so I guess I´m one of those guys [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I think Danny's like 5' tall or something like that. A full-size Strat isn't really that much bigger than a Dinky. I'm only 5'5" and both look fine on me. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X