widest nut jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• widest nut jackson

WHat jackson guitar has the widest nut width ..Which one has the thickest neck? What about lightest ?

Re: widest nut jackson

You can pretty much order anything your heart desires, if you can dream it, they can build it. So when you start looking at Custom Jacksons there's no limit.

Having prefaced my reply with that, the stock nut size for most all Jacksons is R3, or 1 11/16 inches. There are some R4 nuts, but they are really the same width, just wider string spacing. Many of the early models were 1 5/8 inches and some production guitars are still made that way.

I would say that the 12 string models have the widest nuts. Jackson also did some Custom bass guitars and their 8 string bass might be fairly wide. They also made a variety of acoustic guitars under the Charvel name in Japan.

As far as thickest necks, you can find those on the San Dimas neck throughs. Those necks are very similar to the Gibson '59 rounded profile. It's not cumbersome, but you really know you're holding on to a lot of wood!

Not sure about the lightest necks. The short scale necks probably don't weigh as much, but the difference must be neglible.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I would think taht the Swee-tone would be the lightest as it is a hollow body.
      (Or are you talking neck weight only)?
      If so, disregard this post. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

As far as typical... i don't know what the widest nut is, but the thickest necks in the early years can be found on the early first and second year Rhoads, and now, on the standard Soloists.

I'm not sure how the sweetones are or any of the SLAT stuff is, but I'd expect them to be thicker, more in line with a LP type neck.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Out of interest How thick ? in laymans terms are the new soloist necks ,cos hopefully this summer I will be looking to buy a SL1 or SL2h .

I own an Ibanez RG350DX with a Wizard 2 neck ..and I almost find that too thin nowdays ,so want something thicker but dont want a baseball bat .Some people say that the soloists almost play themsleves lol (hopefully it might) but as I've never played one just thought I,d ask .I find my Ibanez great fro doodling but if I play Power/Barre chords can get cramp in my left hand..something I never get with my Trusty Charvette [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wolf

Comment

I would not think the new Soloists have the same thickness of those early SD Jacksons. They are clearly more Les Paul-ish than the modern era necks.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

"the stock nut size for most all Jacksons is R3, or 1 11/16 inches. There are some R4 nuts, but they are really the same width, just wider string spacing"

Could someone elaborate on that a bit more? Why would they do that and what does it mean in reality? Less space left between the outside strings and the fretboard's edge?

Comment

Well for sure Michael is the lightest. I believe Tito has the thickest neck. Since Jermaine is the one with the most paternity suits, he may have the widest nut.
                It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas:
                  Well for sure Michael is the lightest. I believe Tito has the thickest neck. Since Jermaine is the one with the most paternity suits, he may have the widest nut.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

ok, you just mentioned one of the jackson's nuts....this is wrong, oh so wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wolf

Comment

Joe, check your 750XL, mine has an R4 nut on it from factory. A Fusion Deluxe I saw last year also had an R4 nut. I'm pretty sure the Archtop Soloist Pro I had was an R3 though. Maybe they liked giving the Fusion scaled Charvels an R4 nut? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm thinking of changing it for an R3 as well....

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                            I would not think the new Soloists have the same thickness of those early SD Jacksons. They are clearly more Les Paul-ish than the modern era necks.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I had J0369, a student Soloist, and it had one of the thinnest necks I've ever played on a Jackson. There was quite a bit of variation, but the newer Soloists and speed necks are much thicker than on that one.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                            X