No announcement yet.

Listen to this stupid pawnshop crap....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Listen to this stupid pawnshop crap....

I lived in Austin for eight years and, frankly, I really miss the pawn shops there. When I was there, most of them were on either South Lamar or Airport. It was great in the mid-80's because if it didn't say Fender or Gibson on it, they thought it was junk. Therefore, we Kramer and Jackson fans made out like bandits!
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

PowerTube...it's still that way, Bro'. I picked up 2 different Charvel Model 3's this year for only $80 each...both in very good shape. And do you remember this part: If it DOES say Gibson or Fender on it, it's going to be $1500, no matter the condition. That part also has not changed. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone:
        PowerTube...it's still that way, Bro'. I picked up 2 different Charvel Model 3's this year for only $80 each...both in very good shape. And do you remember this part: If it DOES say Gibson or Fender on it, it's going to be $1500, no matter the condition. That part also has not changed. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        Dana <~~~
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep! I distinctly remember a Gibson SG in one and they were asking $800.00. It was in pretty sad shape. The shops around here (Knoxville, TN) aren't too bad, but they don't have NEAR the selection the Austin shops had.

Comment

yeah dana it's on s. lamar, doc holiday's. i saw a charvel model 3 somewhere down the street a while back. south austin music about 4 years ago had a san dimas pointy that was routed to resemble the grand canyon. i guess so the owner could pull up on the whammy bar. anyway, unfortunately i passed on this one. i went back to get it and it was gone. never seen another one since. there's some good deals on jackson's around here i think.
          austin loves fender. i've encountered much snobbery in this town about charvels. i tried to get an estimate on a evh striped strat head(for insurance purposes) and the guy at the music store(guitar resurrection)said it might be worth $400.00 - $ 800.00. He said those graphic paint jobs from the 80's are so ugly and aren't worth a thing.
          i could go on, but, ya get my point.

robert

Comment

Robert...yeah you're right, it's Doc Holiday's. They often times have a pretty cool selection, better than some of the other shops.

Guitar Resurrection?? I HATE that guy! That dude is the most dishonest guitar dealer I have EVER come across. If he doesn't sell it, he'll tell you it sucks. Back in the early 1980's, that dude ripped me off so many times it wasn't even funny, because I didn't know much about equipment. One example in particular...I had an early 60's Fender Super Reverb Blackface, and I needed a practice amp. He did me the "favor" of doing an even trade of that amp for a brand new little bitty Dean Markley Spectra practice amp that was going for $125! He also on numerous occasions took advantage of my ignorance and took other guitar trade ins from me for other guitars that were worth far less, and I had to pay cash in addition to my trade in. I know all that now, but at the time, I trusted the dude. Sure, if you want to be cruel I guess you could say I was a dumbass and I deserved it, but heck, I was really young and just didn't know much about gear at that time. He screwed me every chance he got, which was every time I wanted a new guitar, because I would have to trade in whatever I had at the time to get a new one. What an unethical S.O.B.! I tell you what; ever since I got older and started making better money, that dude has lost thousands and thousands of dollars that I would have spent in his shop had he been honest with me when I was younger. I've got one thing to say to him and anyone else who does business that way: [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img]

There, I feel better now.
            Dana <~~~
            '85 Rhoads Custom
            '86 SD Str*t
            '86 Model 4 (5)
            '87 Model 1
            '87 Model 6
            '88 Model 3DR
            '90 650 XL
            '94 KE-3
            '97 DR Amberburst
            '97 Dinky BOFlames
            '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

lmfao! dana, i agree with you and i know other people that dislike that guy as much as you do. i really dislike the way he looks me up and down when i go into guitar reserrection. he has lost lots of money do to the way he and some of his staff treat people. i bought a guitar there and they wanted to set it up for some absurd price. i'd just laid down 1200 and they won't set it up for free? maybe this is regular practice, but to set a guitar up, i could it. so i did.....

anyway... glad you feel better! i do too....

robert

Comment

If you guys are talking about the skinny bald guy, his name is Jim. He's the owner, but I mostly dealt with the two other guys at the time, Dave and Chuck. They probably aren't there anymore. They always had some decent equipment, though.

Comment

PowerTube...yes, I am talking about Jim. I just didn't want to mention his name here. I do remember Chuck..the long-haired guy, and he was always pretty cool to me. But Jim sort of has this condescending attitude about him, especially if you ask him about products that they don't carry. According to him, they suck and aren't worth anything. One thing I found really ironic about this is that I remember back in the mid-1980's when I started using Jackson, I once asked Jim about the Jackson RR guitar. (I had recently bought one) He proceeded to tell me that they were only a "fad" guitar and would not be around for long. (of course, they weren't carrying Jackson at the time) Lo and behold, I went in there once in about 1995, and what did I see? They were carrying Jackson guitars now, and of course, NOW Jacksons were the best deal going according to him. He didn't remember me, of course. But I damn sure remembered his words and still do to this day. Really, if you're in business particularly, you should watch what you say to younger buyers. They don't stay young and they remember what you do and say to them. Myself and Robert are prime examples of that, and of how much money can be lost.
                  Dana <~~~

[ December 23, 2002, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
                  '85 Rhoads Custom
                  '86 SD Str*t
                  '86 Model 4 (5)
                  '87 Model 1
                  '87 Model 6
                  '88 Model 3DR
                  '90 650 XL
                  '94 KE-3
                  '97 DR Amberburst
                  '97 Dinky BOFlames
                  '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Yep. Now you see why I mainly dealt with Chuck and Dave. Jim was actually pretty cool once he got to know me after I became a "regular" there. Chuck once installed a pickup for me and he was a really good amp mod guy.

Believe it or not, I miss those old Spectra amps. They were a dealer for them before and after the Dean Markley buyout. I had a 225 I bought used from there and I wish I had one of the old tube heads, tweaked by Chuck, of course.
                    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

GuitarForceOne,

By the way, does MusicMakers still exist, on South Lamar? The last time I was in Austin was 1993 and they were still there. They became my favorite store pretty quickly after they opened. Nice gear, nice folks.

Comment

PowerTube, yes MusicMakers is still there on South Lamar. I used to go there in the early 90's, but I haven't been there in years. Actually the pawnshop I was talking about in my original post is right next door to MusicMakers. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        Dana <~~~
                        sorry it took me so long to answer...I've been away from the computer
                        '85 Rhoads Custom
                        '86 SD Str*t
                        '86 Model 4 (5)
                        '87 Model 1
                        '87 Model 6
                        '88 Model 3DR
                        '90 650 XL
                        '94 KE-3
                        '97 DR Amberburst
                        '97 Dinky BOFlames
                        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment