Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bought my son a guitar today...

Very cool!!! Where's the pics?!? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Aww hell yes! Ya' son's gonna' be one pleased kid. Guaranteed. One thing, and i'm sure he will thank you for this later on, if he gets into a slump around 15/16yrs or so... work w/ him through it and all. I've lost about 3years due to mental doubts along w/ injuries. None the less, i'll shut up now, and simply leave off with:
      Way to go man, way to go. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Nothing loke walking to the tree and seeing that case, waiting. Then you open it and your like, "WOAH, checkout this sh1t! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] . This is so awesome. I love you dad!!" etc., etc. He's gonna be stoked. All his friends will be so jealous. [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

WAY TO GO DAD! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I could only hope to be as cool a dad as you are man. I have 2 girls and my oldest, 8 years old, watches me play and wants to get into it. She's pretty rough on guitars. I bought her an acoustic that she ended up putting stickers all over it. When she's 10 she will settle down enough to play seriously. I bugged my dad for a guitar from 7 to 14. At 7 I got my first KISS record. I wanted a Les Paul. The JC Pennys catalog had a couple LP copies so I asked for one. My pops forgot or came up with some other lame excuses. Not on Christmas, but in May of 1985 my dad told me if I cut my hair he would buy me whatever I wanted as far as a guitar. I got the hair cut. Stupid me went to this small store in Chula Vista CA and grabbed a frakin Hondo Start rip off in black with a maple board. $125 bucks with a case. That was my Christmas in May. I played that guitar until I realized how much it realy sucked and traded up with the help of some cash. I always told myself, if I ever made it big, I would credit my dad for everything. Still to this day I ask my dad, " remember that guitar you bought me "? It's a cool feeling.

Comment

Wow, this thread got me thinking back to my first "axe". Get this: I got to choose between seeing an INXS concert (shut up, I used to like them a lot!) or getting an electric guitar. So my dad more or less snuck me down to B Sharp Music in Minneapolis, and after about an hour, I picked out a craptacular Harmony...and a BC Rich "Pit Puppy" battery-powered amp. The Harmony was like the unwanted bastard lovechild of a Strat and a Les Paul DC, with an almost-TOM bridge, two single coil pickups, and a white finish that reminded me of the siding on our house. I think the guitar was $85, but that may have been the total for the two. Oddly enough, that store is/was a Jackson dealer, but that meant nothing to me at the time. I was just pumped to have an electric guitar! Needless to say, my mother didn't share my enthusiasm.

I sold that guitar to a friend, and started trading my way through the various stages of GAS. My brother still has a couple of my earlier guitars, a Squier II and a Hamer Standard, and I saw an old Lotus "Dinky" I once owned, still on the wall at a Music Go Round where I traded it for a Peavey amp years ago...still have the amp. Having hit the double digits for guitars, I've stopped buying for myself, but not for others. I got my girlfriend a Yamaha Pacifica Tele-copy awhile back, and my brother a Charvel 550XL for his birthday this year. If I ever have any kids, I hope that they take an interest in music too, one way or another.
            sigpic

Comment

I just bought my son one as well. I got him a Squire *gasp* Mini (he's 9). If only Jackson made a junior guitar [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The strings were too high at the nut so I had them set it up and set intonation as well. I ended up getting the guitar, gig bag, wall hanger and the set up for $119.00 heh. It pays to have a friend that has bought 9K worth of equipment from the store pick it up for ya [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I picked him up a Peavey Rage 158 for $80.00 as well. He's been wanting a guitar since I started playing again a few months ago. I hope he sticks with it, I wish would have started as young as he is. Worst case I'll definatly not have a problem getting my money back. If he keeps at it he may inherit one of dad's Charvel's or Jackson's. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sol

Comment

Working...
              X