Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strappage Question

Whatever the wife buys me for xmas. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

She was at GC the other day, and asked them if they had any 'crop-circle' straps (for my Roswell)..

[insert blank stare]

I think she got me a Maltese Cross one for the CS Death Angel..... [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[insert blank stare] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

No, not at GC?!?
      [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use Schaller Strap Locks on all my guitars. That way I just use 1 Strap for all of my guitars. It's a Levy's 2" all Leather strap. I've got 2 more much thicker Leather straps that I used to have for my non-str@t shaped guitars... But now, I no longer have non-str@t shaped guitars! heheheh So now I have 2 very expensive straps sittin' around collecting dust. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Oh well... My last Carvin also came with one of those Dimarzio ClipLok straps and I can't stand it. All these straps just sittin' around.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

This is just my own anal retentive self here so, no flaming please. I hate to remove the original strap buttons from my guitars. I don't know why. Maybe I should see a therapist. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] On my guitars that have an issue with the strap coming off,(LP Customs and Explorers) I put the strap on the button and then put one of those rubber gaskets from the big Grolsch (sp?) beer bottles on next. Worked for me for the past 20 some odd years.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

levys 2" leather straps with schaller strap loks
            you have to tighten the nut really really tight to get it to work but another issue is how you have them facign is the side where you insert the strap button facing the floor or is it facing the ceiling

Comment

The opening faces the ceiling of course! Wouldn't want it to slip out! hehehe As far as the nut, yea, it's a little rough to get it started... I just use Needle Nosed Plyers and squeeze the strap down onto the threads and then screw on the nut TIGHTLY. I NEVER have problems with it coming loose after that.

Comment

We both use a leather strap. What we did to prevent them from sticking to our clothes is we sewed nylon/windbreaker strips to the underside ^.^

Comment

Peabuddy,

You can use this stuff called Locktite, it's available in auto parts stores.

I use Dunlops with a 2 inch wide Levys strap, unfortunately,you can't use it on a strat shaped and a Kelley. So for the Kelley I have this monster wide strap with 5 rows of Pyramid studs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

For some reason, wide straps seem to hold me back and feel like they weigh a ton... I like my thin leather straps...

I'll never buy Dunlop straplocks again. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Just a follow-up/update:

I definitely appreciate all the input. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

It sounds like most folks use a Levy in some shape or size.

I went by one of the local "pro" shops (hey, they sell Jacksons and Marshalls, so it must be a "pro" shop [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) to see what they had that I could see, feel, pull, etc.

I ended up getting a Neotech "Super Ax Strap" (exactly like this one). It felt pretty comfortable, so I figured I'd try it for a while.

I also picked up some Schaller ("AllParts") strap locks while I was there. As JacksonFreak recommended, I tightened down the nuts with a socket wrench. I'm having a hard time imagining anything strong enough to work them loose at this point.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. It was very helpful. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Mer

Comment

I just use rubber Grolsch Beugel rings to prevent the straps from getting loose.

(for you non Dutchies: Grolsch is a beer brand and their 0,5 l bottles have the so called 'beugels', and on it is a rubber ring. After you finished drinking you can use that ring as a substitute for straplocks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ever since I use those, I never had any problems with straps getting loose (Even with my straps that were very unreliable))

Comment

Meridian: See, now I personally had a TERRIBLE time with those types of Straps. Nice and comfortable, BUT, I broke the ends of them SEVERAL times before going to the Levy's like I use now. Of course, I jump around like a d@mn idiot when I'm playing live too. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ December 17, 2002, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Troy from VENTT ]

Comment

Here you go, thats my strap. It's pretty comfy, and it sure looks good!

Here are my strap locks. I strongly recomend straplocks of any kind. I prefer dunlop's.

Comment

Found a few pics of the Grolsch 'Beugels' so you guys can see what I mean:
                              I use the red vacuum rings as straplocks (never had any problems, cause they are sturdy and fit precisely on a nut (as if they were made for them [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )) [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] :

Comment

Originally posted by Troy from VENTT:
                                Meridian: See, now I personally had a TERRIBLE time with those types of Straps. Nice and comfortable, BUT, I broke the ends of them SEVERAL times before going to the Levy's like I use now.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Interesting. Where exactly did the ends break?

Mer

Comment

Working...
                                X