Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under 18 payment plan...

I was wondering...

I am under 18, and my parents' credit is shot. Payment plans are not an option at a store. I need some gear, but can't afford to pay it all up front. Is there NE one here that could help me out? If you got gear to sell, and are patient enough for a payment plan, look me up. If it's over $1000, I could pay it off in probably 6 months or so. $2,000, I could pay it off in a year. If anyone's interested, drop me an e-mail, I don't get to visit this place much anymore (lucky for you guys!)

Need a good amplifier. Preferably a Peavy XXX, 5150, Bandit 212, or Mesa boogie single Recifier half stack. As far as axes go, I'd be happy to buy a Jackson(duh), BC rich, Schecter, Peavey, ESP, or even a Kramer.

Thanx! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: Under 18 payment plan...

If you are implying that someone would give you the guitar up front, I think that is very unlikely. If I was willing to do a payment plan, I would hold the guitar untill it was paid off. If you have a job, even part time, there are starter credit cards you could get. I think you must be at least 17. You could also take a small lone ($2000) from the bank you do business with and put down "to build credit" as the reason for the lone. Otherwise, you'll just have to get it the old fashion way.

rich

Comment

I was in the same boat for a while. I would suggest getting a decent job. Then you can buy all the gear you want...

Comment

It was literally half a lifetime ago that I did this, but it might be worth a shot for you. When I was 15 and working my first job, I set up a checking account. My mom had to co-sign, but I don't think that it was for a credit check so much as a legality due to me being under 18. In any case, I received a "Cash & Check" ATM card that also was a Visa. Since it pulled money directly from the checking account, it would only work if I had enough money in the account to cover the purchase right away...but it worked anywhere that Visa was accepted. That was 14 years ago, so I don't remember the details, but it might be worth looking into.

If you don't have a checking account already, get one, or pay with money order. Either way, you need to save some money before you can spend it.
        sigpic

Comment

$2k/year = $165/month (before interest). At that rate it'd take you only a couple of months to save up enough for a nice axe and three or four more for a decent amp. That's really not a long time in the overall scheme of things.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

When I was in high school, I would take advantage of store's layaway policies.

Back then, you could go and put something like 25% down and pay it off over something like four months.... or something like that. Sure, they kept the gear during the time you were paying it off, but they took it off the floor, so I didn't have to worry about someone else buying it (which was, admittedly, a bigger deal then since we didn't have this fancy internet shopping thing. If we wanted something, we bought it locally).

It was a nice deal, especially since, at the time, I wasn't all that good at saving up. I could put the down payment down, and then make a payment toward the purchase any time I had money.

I bought a lot of stuff that way I otherwise probably wouldn't have had the discipline to buy.

Comment

I can hook you up with a 6 month payment plan with zero interest, but you'll need somewhat decent credit to pull off the approval process.

Matt
              Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

....wouldn't he have to be of legal age for that? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Nope, Matt can extend credit to anyone he likes but good luck enforcing the agreement if things go south. Contracts with minors are usually voidable at the option of the minor and of course since possession is 9/10 of the law ....
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I gotta tell you man, a teenager with a credit card is bad news. Im 21 now but i had a credit card with a $2000 dollar limit when i was 19 and boy am i sorry. I got all the gear i need, and all the debt to show for it. Its all about discipline. I have a problem. My problem is that i cant go in to a guitar store and not buy anything. I got paid today so i went (instinctively) to get new strings, but i walk out with a new volume pedal and pot(entiometer).

My point is if you need it and can get credit, go for it. But if you cant pay it off, (and no offense, but it doesn't sound like your folks can help you out either) you'll be sorry. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Good Luck

Comment

Hell, even at 30 (and with a really great paying career) I will still put shit on layaway. My last USA Jackson was bought that way. That keeps the credit clear for important stuff, keeps the wife of my back, and keeps me from having too many impulse purchases...but when something truly ass-kicking shows up on ebay, or a tube amp needs repair, out comes the plastic!!

Most stores will work with you as long as you keep up with your payment schedule (like every 2 weeks). If you need more time you'll get it (within reason)...plus, it'll keep you from writing checks your ass can't cash (figuratively, that is). There is nothing worse than screwing up your credit right out of the gate. I hope that helps.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

There was this guy, that if you had some scratch to put down, and you could pay off like every 2 weeks X amount of dollars, he would let you do a payment plan, and take the guitar.

I bought 2 ESP M2s, a Charvel Model 3, 4, 5 and a 6 from him, a USA strat, some digitech rack shit, 2 Marshall 4x12 cabs.

But I always paid him like 200 every 2 weeks. Some asshole ruined it for everyone...came in, got like 2500 in gear, gave him 700 down, had references and shit, well, he is out 1800 dollars. He had to sue him to get it and shit. Then him and his friends robbed his music store, so he proved it, and sued them too, I mean he got his money, but for all that hassle, he is not doing it again.

Comment

Yup yup, I see the point on the other side of the counter.

Checking is kinda risky, because if there's not enough money in there I get overdraft charges and all of that fun stuff...

Looks like the layaway policy would work best for now. If/when my job proves stable, I'll ask Matt about credit perhaps. The only thing that sucks about layaway at the few local guitar shops here is that it's totally nonrefundable. All of my money (whatever is put down) would go swirling down the porcelain piss hole.

Thanx for the info dudes, it really helps out alot! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I feel ya...

I can hook you up as well with a new Jackson Guitra of your choice.

We offer no interest layaways and no credit checks.

Simply commit to a time frame and make the payments when you can. If it goes over what you est thats ok too. We wont pull the rug out crom under ya.

I have done and continue to do this kind of layaways for alot of players out there for gear. Just drop me a line or stop by my website.

Can be found on the bottom of the JCF dealers page: Vwall Guitars.

Best wishes.

Scott

Comment

When I was in high school, and I needed a good guitar, I went around and bought up friends (and their parents) gear for the cash price music stores offered them when I could afford it. I played some of that stuff and after 6 months or so I had enough stuff to trade into the guitar I wanted. Some of the stuff I had bought earlier had even appreciated a little. They also gave me a little more allowance because it was trade and not out of pocket cash. In the end I paid less than wholesale for the guitar.

The slap in the face is the two Fender Mustangs, Vox Clyde McCoy wah, and Jaguar that were in the lot are worth far more today than the Fender Strat reissue I bought.

Comment

Working...
                              X