Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6 Finished, Amazing Sound! and A Big thank you to BossRock70

Hi All,

I'm pleased to say that after months of head scratching i finally got my Charvel Model 6 wired correctly and functioning as it should thanks to Boosrock70's very helpful EMG wiring diagram.

Also thanks to Carbuff for helping me to post my circuit diagram :-)

My Charvel is now wired with EMG 81, S, SA pups with 9/18v switching on a push/pull tone pot, a Shadow Kill/volume pot and a 2nd tone pot. Each tone pot has a Bare Knuckle capacitor fitted - a 0.013 and 0.022. All electronics/pups cavities/tunnels are lined with copper sheet, and an original 80's brass block flyd has been fitted.

All i can say is WOW! It sounds incredible and plays even better than it did before all of the mods.

I'm currently running through a Line6 Vetta 2 head with 2 4x12 cabs, using my own custom 'all American heavy rock/metal sound'. It's honestly everything i could have hoped for and a whole lot more :-)

I'm also very fortunate to own a USA SL1 Soloist, which is running the exact same electronics and can honestly say that my Charvel sounds better! it's not a massive difference, but noticeable. If i had to describe it - i'd say my Jacko is a 'good attempt' , but it's not quite got it!

i'm amazed! When i first compared i couldn't decide if i was elated, disappointed, or both! I think it's both! Elated that my Charvel has been essentially transformed into a great sounding Soloist. Somewhat disappointed that my Soloist doesn't sound as good!

Can a brass block trem and older wood really make THAT much difference?!?!!

I was initially very tentative about modding my Model 6, because there aren't many around in the Pink mist, and even fewer in suh good condition as mine. But, i'm so glad i went for it!

I'd recommend the mods to any Charvel Model 6 owner.

They seriously RRAAAAWWWWWWKKKKKKK!

9v/18v push pull? That's interesting. Glad everything is going right!
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by vampyresbyte View Post
      I was initially very tentative about modding my Model 6, because there aren't many around in the Pink mist, and even fewer in suh good condition as mine. But, i'm so glad i went for it!
      Your modifications are reversible, and it's not like you carved out wood or refinished the guitar... so definitely no need to feel reserved about modifying it. Even if you did hack up the guitar, it's still your guitar to modify as you please.

Nicely done. Any chance for a video/audio shootout between the Model 6 and the Soloist?

Comment

Awesome, glad you got it all sorted out. Its always a great feeling when you mod something and it comes out just like you wanted. Enjoy it!

Comment

Hi Cabuff, Xenophobe :-)

Hiya,

Xenophobe: the 9/18v push/pull just seemed to make sense as a way of giving the guitar more tonal felxibility, given that i was stripping out all of the electronics anyhow. I've always liked the EMG 81 'compressed' sound, but also found it very 'limiting'. i wanted my Model 6 to be a 'Jack of all trades' instrument, so opening up the EMGs with 18v seemed the best way forward. Given the EMG 81 S SA combination with the option to have all, any two, or all three p'ups on, plus volume, two tones - each with a different cap and the 9/18v option makes my Charvel my most versatile guitar. best bit of all is that it sounds fantastic! i literally couldn't be happier with it.

Carbuff: Me too! I was getting a little sick of all the head scratching, brainache, and no progress! i ended up removing all of the electronics, cleaning them all up and just starting again from scratch. Took me most of a day - but it was well worth it.

Hi Number of the Priest: It's very good to meet your acquaintence. I like your idea of doing an A/B shootout. i was intending to do that anyhow with a mate, with me blindfolded - just so i could be sure this is an actual difference and it's not just my 'biased' hearing. I'll have a go at the video shootout and let you know when it's posted online. Should be a fun experiment - and i'd very much appreciate others thoughts :-)

Comment

Wow I don't think that voltage switching scheme has been done before. Can you really tell a difference? A double-blind experiment is called for here.

Comment

Hi Axewielder

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Wow I don't think that voltage switching scheme has been done before. Can you really tell a difference? A double-blind experiment is called for here.
              Hi Axe Wielder, glad ot meet your acquaintence :-)

Yes I can hear the difference between 9v and 18v very clearly. I did a lot of research on the net before decided to try it - Watching You Tube vids, looking at forums, etc. As expected there were two schools of thought. One stated voltage made a difference, one not. In the end i contacted EMG directly and spoke with a member of their pickup technical team. We had several chats regarding 9v 18v and 27v operation. EMG have done all of the tests themselves - wave form analysis, A/B tests, graphical comparisons, data analysis, etc, etc. The fella i spoke with was heavily involved in the process and could confirm unequivocably that EMGs running 18v produced a much more 'rounded' 'balanced' 'unclipped' 'tighter, punchier' sound - with hugely improved 'clarity' over 9v operation. Essentially what has been called 'headroom' and 'opening up' the pickups/sound. The EMG tech. was also kind enough to provide a 9/18v switch wiring diagram for two 9v batteries.

Having now done this mod is all my my EMG loaded guitars: 2x jackson SLX Soloists, Jackson SL1 Soloist, Kramer SM-1, jackson SLAT 3-7, Charvel Model 6, i can confirm that the mod has made a huge difference to all of them. i can honestly say that i wouldn't use EMG pickups if it weren't for 18v operation - as i was never a fan of that typical 'clipped' EMG sound. I also own a Jackson RR1, which is running custom Bare Knuckle Nailbombs - which sound incredible - and were more impressive than the 9v EMGs. Moving over to 18v EMGs has changed all of that. The Nailbombs sound nowhere near as tight aggressive and heavy.

For the price of a 2nd 9v battery, a battery clip, and a simple switch i'd honestly recommend any EMG player gives the mod a try. The worst that can happen is that you may not be happy with the mod, and so will have wated 15mins of your time and a few bucks!

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

The way you describe your adoration for 18V (the added clarity and headroom), I extrapolate that you might seldom, if ever, play on the 9V setting (because it sounds clipped).

If so, what is the purpose of switching between 18V and 9V modes? Why not just wire the whole thing solely in 18V, without the provision to switch to 9V? You just simply need two 9V batteries in series and the extra battery clip. I am not a wiring expert but this seems intuitively simpler than including a switching scheme.

This is why I imagine Axewielder couldn't have imagined this 9V/18V switching scheme had ever been done. I'd never heard of it either. Every time a user has modified their active circuit to 18V, it's the way I described it in the above paragraph, never the provision to switch between two voltages. It's unique, I must admit.

Comment

Hi Number of the Priest

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                  The way you describe your adoration for 18V (the added clarity and headroom), I extrapolate that you might seldom, if ever, play on the 9V setting (because it sounds clipped).

If so, what is the purpose of switching between 18V and 9V modes? Why not just wire the whole thing solely in 18V, without the provision to switch to 9V? You just simply need two 9V batteries in series and the extra battery clip. I am not a wiring expert but this seems intuitively simpler than including a switching scheme.

This is why I imagine Axewielder couldn't have imagined this 9V/18V switching scheme had ever been done. I'd never heard of it either. Every time a user has modified their active circuit to 18V, it's the way I described it in the above paragraph, never the provision to switch between two voltages. It's unique, I must admit.
                  Hiya,

I guess the decision to have both options was a 'no brainer' really. i was stripping out all of the eletronics anyway, It only adds perhaps 10 minutes to the installation to wire the extra battery, clip and puch pull pot, so why not add that extra versatility?

I play many different styles of music, so i will certainly use the 9v option. Though i must admit to not using it at the moment because i'm still in awe of the 18v sound! :-)

Comment

I remember this was all the rage in 2005, I've since switched to Geico.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Working...
                    X