Soloists - Archtops and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloists - Archtops and more

Hi fellow Soloist fans! So, I was scrolling through reverb, and searched about a Soloist that always intrigued me, is the Archtop soloist. Now, I just found one listing other than the import SLAT's, a SLAT but with the usual 6 in line pointy headstock.
    So, I wanted to know more about the Archtop soloists. How rare are they? What configs did they come in? Are there any Archtop Soloists with a Floyd Rose or Kahler out there? What other Soloist models exist other than the SL1 and SL2H?
    The perfect soloist for me would be an Archtop with a quilted maple top, Floyd Rose, in a Cherry Burst or some kind of Trans Red finish, with gold hardware. Preferably the classic Jackson Alder/Poplar, Maple, Ebony combination with Sharkfin inlays.
    What would your dream soloist be? And if you have it, show it
    Post your soloists down below, with the specs and the string gauges and tuning as well
    Show me some Soloist love ^^

When I think of carved-topped Soloists with a Floyd, I immediately think of the following prime examples:

Charvel 750XL: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...0xl-guitar.htm

Jackson Soloist ATT Pro: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ries_1990-1995 (scroll down to the Soloist model section and find the Soloist ATT Pro)

Both of these are high-end Japanese made but discontinued long ago. These would probably be your best chance to get a neck-thru carved-top superstrat with tremolo, sharkfins, ebony fretboard, and 6-in-line headstock. I believe both were short-scale (24.75"). The hardware isn't gold but you can make the swap yourself. The early ESP Horizons with Jackson-lawsuit headstocks also come to mind, because by their very nature a Horizon is always an archtop neckthru superstrat from ESP.

Since you're also aware of Japan-market brands like Jackson Stars and Grover Jackson, take a look: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/support/import-catalogs In particular, notice the ASL-J1 Soloist in the 2004 catalog, which also seems to meet your requirements except for the gold hardware. I am not as familiar with the Japan-only brands (they are uncommonly seen in North America where I live) so I leave that up to you to explore.

If you want to know what other Jackson/Charvel Soloists exist besides SL1 and SL2H, there are perhaps dozens of models, most of which are primarily flat-topped and excluded from your criteria. A rough timeline:

Jackson Custom Soloists and Student Soloists were USA-made, one-off, and the customization possibilities were essentially endless.

Production models (mass-produced) began in 1986 with the Charvel Model 5 and Charvel Model 6 (and their sub-variants), which are essentially the first ever Japanese Soloists. The Charvel Professional Series, which includes the coveted 750XL, is also part of this early "Japanese Charvel Soloist" range: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...apan_1986-1991

Production models continued with the introduction of Jackson-branded Japanese guitars under the new Professional Series in 1990: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ries_1990-1995

From there, it would probably be best to browse Soloists seen in the catalogs, and choose what you like: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppo...hived-catalogs. There are too many to list, and none of them come to mind that specifically meet your requirement for carve-topped Soloists with tremolos/ebony/sharkfins.

In the early part of this decade, Charvel had the Chinese-made Desolation Series, which included carved-topped Soloists: http://charvel.com/support/catalogs-and-pricelists/ There were tremolos, but the fretboards were rosewood, which may be a disqualifier for you if you really wanted ebony.

We currently have Soloists made in USA (SL1 and SL2H) and Indonesia (Pro Series and X Series).

My dream Soloist is simply a two-humbucker variant of the normal 1998 SHS1 Shannon Soloist seen below. Essentially this would be the SL2HV which was a limited run.

I also would love to own one of Doug Aldrich's Soloists: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...=1#post1665377 The owner of this guitar lives in the next major city over from me... so close, yet so out of reach.

I missed my chance to buy a SLATQH in the 2000s decade, and I would certainly buy one on the used market at the right price. This model has what you want except they have TOM bridges, not a tremolo. Also, they only have 22 frets, but you didn't list fret numbers as a prerequisite.

Finally, on the affordable end, I wouldn't mind owning an SLSMG from the 2000s decade. One of the top Japanese Soloists of that decade. Great specifications, but deviates even further from your prerequisites, and additionally, it is thin-bodied as per the SLS (Super Lightweight Soloist) designation which are never full-thickness-bodied Soloists. I missed my chance to buy one for CAD$300 last year from the same neighbouring major city that seems to be my black hole for desirable Soloists.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I always thought Jackson SLAT3-6s were cool, no ebony though.
      Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Wow, lots of great info there. Thanks I myself quite dig the SL2H-V model. It's pretty rad. But, yeah, should have listed the 25.5" scale length and 24 frets as a must. I almost never consider a guitar with 22 or 21 frets. What this post taught me was that not all Soloists have 24 frets, I thought ALL soloists are neck through and 24 frets, so I didn't mention it and took it for granted. Also, check this out. THIS IS ONE BADASS GUITAR AND I WISH I COULD PULL THE TRIGGER. But I love KV's more than that and am close to cutting a deal for one (as mentioned in my other thread)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Sta...gAAOSwwYpayASH

It meets all criteria except the Ash body and being an archtop instead of flat-top. But I totally wouldn't mind an ash body

Comment

oh yeah the Chris Broderick model is an archtop
          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Soloists with 22 frets are far less common than 24 frets. But it's true, when you think of a "stereotypical Soloist", it will most likely have 24 frets. The original design ideology of a Soloist was to build a guitar that improved on a Strat in many ways, with more frets, great upper fret access, different pickups, stable tremolos, etc., but as we've come to realize, none of these attributes are compulsory for the definition of a Soloist.

I should correct myself. The 750XL and Soloist ATT Pro were not only short-scale, but also set-neck, but the way the heel is sculpted is reminiscent of a neckthru. Even the common minimum definition of a Soloist as a "neckthru superstrat" is inaccurate. Funny how the original two best candidates for your requirements that I found for you aren't even truly neckthru Soloists!

Perhaps a new definition of Soloist is needed. "Neckthru-like superstrat" is conceivably the most broadly inclusive definition... all else ignored.

That Jackson Stars JPSL-170 you linked looks amazing. Very similar to an SL2H but made of ash, with EMG-HZ pickups and a Schaller tremolo.
            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-27-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
              oh yeah the Chris Broderick model is an archtop
              Oh, yes, totally forgot that. But it's body shape is quite different. Does it count? Semi-Soloist? haha

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              Soloists with 22 frets are far less common than 24 frets. But it's true, when you think of a "stereotypical Soloist", it will most likely have 24 frets. The original design ideology of a Soloist was to build a guitar that improved on a Strat in many ways, with more frets, great upper fret access, different pickups, stable tremolos, etc., but as we've come to realize, none of these attributes are compulsory for the definition of a Soloist.

I should correct myself. The 750XL and Soloist ATT Pro were not only short-scale, but also set-neck, but the way the heel is sculpted is reminiscent of a neckthru. Even the common minimum definition of a Soloist as a "neckthru superstrat" is inaccurate. Funny how the original two best candidates for your requirements that I found for you aren't even truly neckthru Soloists!

Perhaps a new definition of Soloist is needed. "Neckthru-like superstrat" is conceivably the most broadly inclusive definition... all else ignored.

That Jackson Stars JPSL-170 you linked looks amazing. Very similar to an SL2H but made of ash, with EMG-HZ pickups and a Schaller tremolo.
              Yeah, noticed the Set-neck construction only after I read through it all. So, let's define a soloist? To me, its a neckthru superstrat with 24 frets, a bridge humbucker, at the very least. The typical would be of course the SL1 or SL2H. But yeah, the idea for an Archtop with all maple body, neck, and a quillted top, with FR bridge and 2 humbuckers sounds yum :P

Comment

Originally posted by Yash View Post
                But, yeah, should have listed the 25.5" scale length and 24 frets as a must.
                There is one archtop soloist that fits this bill (maybe more, I only like the traditional look). The Sam Ash "SL2H" made around 2007 from Japan. Two versions, a blue maple burst with JB/59 and a flat black? version with EMGs.

When they came out, most people (including me) were ho-hum about them when compared to the AT's of the late 80's/early 90's. Rosewood fretboard instead of ebony, MOTO sharkies instead of MOP.

I picked one up in 2013 (the blue one with Duncans) and really like it. The thing has a "punch" different than my 750XL or AT Pro.
                Last edited by DonP; 04-27-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  There is one archtop soloist that fits this bill (maybe more, I only like the traditional look). The Sam Ash "SL2H" made around 2007 from Japan. Two versions, a blue maple burst with JB/59 and a flat black? version with EMGs.

When they came out, most people (including me) were ho-hum about them when compared to the AT's of the late 80's/early 90's. Rosewood fretboard instead of ebony, MOTO sharkies instead of MOP.

I picked one up in 2013 (the blue one with Duncans) and really like it. The thing has a "punch" different than my 750XL or AT Pro.
                  That Sam Ash Soloist is the perfect one. I'll be on the lookout. Totally fits the bill. Thanks DonP. What do you mean by liking the traditional look? Haha

Comment

Not sure if this AT-1T archtop soloist is still for sale, but I saw it listed on the Phoenix Craig's List. Thought I would pass it along in case someone wants to look into it. Nice looking cherryburst flame top.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/m...542212070.html

Comment

I am not really looking for something I just wanna discuss such guitars. The soloist and it's variations. By the way, what about the very old custom ordered one of a kind soloists back from the 80s. How many do still exist and float around?

Comment

There are plenty of 80's Soloists around. and they are some of the best made. I have a 7 or 8 in my collection, each a one off.
                        I love archtops. Here are 2 of my favorites.

Comment

The finish on the second one is pretty awesome!

Comment

Working...
                          X