Is this Mustaine King V legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Mustaine King V legit?

Hey everyone. So, I saw this on reverb. There's this guy from Vladivostok, Russia, who's selling a King V, that's similar to the Dave Mustaine King V Musicians Friend run that went in 1996. Apparently, everything about the guitar seems legit, EXCEPT, it says Grover Jackson on the Headstock. Here are some pics, and one with the serial number. Maybe I'd want to buy that guitar, since I live in Russia and he'd ship it to me cheap. Here are some images

The serial number of the guitar is apparently U6 43 33... Seems really odd. Any help?

U04839 it looks to me.

Yes, that is legit. Japanese market guitar.

Last edited by xenophobe; 04-17-2018, 04:42 PM.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      U04839 it looks to me.

Yes, that is legit. Japanese market guitar.

So, is this Japanese made or USA made? Specs I assume should be same as the MF run? What should be the price on such a guitar? It has the Grover Jackson branded tuners. And, the neck joint seems a little weird. Or is it just the angle? It seems a little different than my Indonesian King V Pro.

Comment

I always knew that the "GroverJackson" ones were Japanese...made for a short period of production in the Chushin Gakki factory around 2000-2001.

To me the odd thing is that Mustaine signature, too close to the edge of the headstock.
        Last edited by Luca1973; 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

This one is for sale here in Italy.
          Year 1996.
          Looks identical to yours except for the logo and the Mustaine signature.

Last edited by Luca1973; 04-17-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yash View Post
            So, is this Japanese made or USA made? Specs I assume should be same as the MF run? What should be the price on such a guitar? It has the Grover Jackson branded tuners. And, the neck joint seems a little weird. Or is it just the angle? It seems a little different than my Indonesian King V Pro.

That is a USA Jackson. "Grover Jackson" was used to avoid a trademark issue in Japan. Both USA guitars built for Japan and MIJ Jacksons built for Japan sport either a "Grover Jackson" or "Jackson Stars" logo.

Comment

I posted the same on the Facebook Jackson-Charvel group. Been getting comments that it's fake because of the logo not being pearloid. To get or not to get. I'll wait for more comments for the time being.

Comment

They were Japanese market guitars from the '90s. Some Japanese market guitars were USA built, this is clearly one of then.
                I see nothing to indicate a fake. Nothing.

Not sure on the specs/price because they aren't in our catalogues, but the official Jackson page has a couple of those old catalogues....check the site to see if this one is in those catalogues.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  They were Japanese market guitars from the '90s. Some Japanese market guitars were USA built, this is clearly one of then.

Not sure on the specs/price because they aren't in our catalogues, but the official Jackson page has a couple of those old catalogues....check the site to see if this one is in those catalogues.
                  Not even the logo being different? I think I'll try scoring it for $800-1000.

By the way, why are the Mustaine guitars with a Kahler bridge so rare suddenly? None to be found anywhere. Now that I've kinda saved up for it, there are none around
                  Last edited by Yash; 04-17-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post

Not even the logo being different. I think I'll try scoring it for $800-1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Yash View Post
                      I posted the same on the Facebook Jackson-Charvel group. Been getting comments that it's fake because of the logo not being pearloid. To get or not to get. I'll wait for more comments for the time being.
                      People on FB are generally idiots with no way to tell who actually knows what they're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        People on FB are generally idiots with no way to tell who actually knows what they're talking about.
                        No doubt man, I've been trying to stay away from there as much as possible. This has always been the place to get the most accurate info for years and years. Nice to see its picking up again, just hope it doesnt get flooded with people's kids from Facebook...
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven
                        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

USA models could have a regular or mother of pearl logo. I had a 2000 RR1T with MOP logo and a 2004 without. That guitar is legit.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Legit!
                            Check this out
                            http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/davemustaine/

Guitars -> Grover Jackson King V Mustaine signature

Thanks Jani once again

Comment

Yes, the guitar is legit. But will it bother you that everybody and his mother (outside of this forum) will be telling you its not. And as far as resale goes the initial reaction will be that its fake and make it harder to sell. If you want it purely as a guitar to play, and want to make sure its legit so you know youre getting the quality of a USA made Jackson, then yeah, go for it. If part of wanting it is for a status symbol to impress someone or to collect then Id say pass as most people cant be bothered to research anything and go off their first instinct, which would be that its not real.

Comment

Working...
                              X