Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Superstrats from the early 90s

Hi everyone,

I'm not familiar at all with Jackson guitars. I'm a big fan of instruments of the late 80s/early 90s era.

I have a couple of Kramers that I love (Pacer USA, Focus 4000/6000 Japan), an Ibanez RG760 1991 ( Fastest neck ever, so far ), a Charvel Model 2 and a few others.

I'd love to know which models of Superstrats produced by Jackson, around 1990, have a good reputation. What is the equivalent of the RG570, 760, 770 by Jackson for example?

I play Black/Death Metal and I'm looking for a Superstrat, shredder type guitar, that was popular amongst Death Metal bands from the early 90s.

But I'm also looking to understand HOW Jackson guitars are named.. USA, Imports, Professionals. Dinky this, Dinky that, Dinky what..?

Basically just looking for a starting point to do searches to find a nice little Jackson to add to my collection, and get to know the brand.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by JivRey View Post
    What is the equivalent of the RG570, 760, 770 by Jackson for example?
    Welcome! I myself own several RG570s and an RG550. I love both brands, Ibanez and Jackson/Charvel, and primarily gravitate towards superstrats from either brand. Hopefully my perspectives shared below will be valid to your exploration of Jackson/Charvel.

Originally posted by JivRey View Post
    I'd love to know which models of Superstrats produced by Jackson, around 1990, have a good reputation.
    Pretty safe to say "all of them" have a good reputation at minimum, and many of them have STELLAR reputations. You have a Charvel Model 2, which I imagine you adore. Jackson's very first non-USA guitars debuted in 1990 as the "Professional Series", made in Japan by the same factory (Chushin Gakki) as your Charvel, so expect a high standard of quality.

History and list of all Jackson models from that killer era: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ofessional.php THAT website is a place to start reading about the exact era for which you're seeking information (1990).

The companion webpage for Japanese Charvels (like your Model 2 and others) is here: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...rt-guitars.php

In 1990, only American-made and Japanese-made Jacksons existed. So that makes things simple for our research. The Japanese Jackson quality in those early years was scary good, and in particular the Professional Pro guitars (such as the Soloist Pro, Rhoads Pro, etc.) were FRIGHTENINGLY similar to American Jackson quality and specification. So that makes things even simpler; ie - you can't go wrong choosing guitars from those early 1990s.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-13-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

for me, personally, if you are "online shopping" and don't get to try-before-you-buy, I would look at the neck thru models. Some of the import bolt-ons have a weird waxy coating (as do some Ibanez models) on their necks.
      I don't pretend to know the difference between terms like unfinished, sealed, oiled, and hand rubbed (or which models use what) - I just know what I like and don't like by their feel. I have never played a USA bolt-on that had the coating, and have only played one import model that did not.

Comment

Probably the easiest way to answer your questions regarding the Dinky is to send you here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Dinky

Then there is the Soloist: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Soloist

Quick history of Jackson: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Guitars

From I think 85 on Jackson bolt on models were referred to as Strat, Strat body or vintage style depending on the year. The neck through was the Soloist. All 80s Jacksons were built in the US.

In 1990 Jackson started building production guitars in the US and Japan. Bolt ons were called Fusion while neck through was still the soloist. The Professional series was produced in Japan. Custom Shop production continued in the US with bolt ons referred to as Strats.

In 1992 the bolt on Dinky was added to the lineup. The Infinity set neck was also added.

In 1994 the Stealth and JTX were added to the Professional line while the US line started to coalesce around the Dinky and Soloist.

Later, DK became the model designation for Dinkys with the DK1 representing US Dinkys and SL1 and SL2 representing US Soloists. Believe it or not there is actually more to the story than this. Perhaps one of our other FMs will come along and pick up where I left off.
        Last edited by CaptNasty; 04-13-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

The Dinky/Soloists are Strat shapes cut down by 8%. This equates to 8% less tone, 8% less sustain, 8% less mojo, and 8% less guitar for the money. Get a Jackson Strat.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              The Dinky/Soloists are Strat shapes cut down by 8%. This equates to 8% less tone, 8% less sustain, 8% less mojo, and 8% less guitar for the money. Get a Jackson Strat.
              Wasn't it 7/8s scale? So 1/8 smaller would be 12.5%, major tone lossage.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post

Bolt ons were called Fusion while neck through was still the soloist. The Professional series was produced in Japan. Custom Shop production continued in the US with bolt ons referred to as Strats.
                Fusions were Jackson Dinkies with 24 3/4th scale
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                  In 1994 the Stealth and JTX were added to the Professional line while the US line started to coalesce around the Dinky and Soloist.
                  I think Stealth Pro's began late 91/early 92.

Comment

Working...
                  X