Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6 Wiring help needed

Hi All,

I'm fortunate to own a lovely metallic pink Charvel Model 6.

I recently decided to remove the original pups and active mid boost, to be replaced with an EMG 81, S, SA combo with 9/18v switching using a push/pull tone pot. I've also ades a Shadow Killpot.

I've also replaced the original trem unit with an 80s brass black Floyd Rose original - a very good move!

The installation of new parts went well and all wiring has gone as expected, apart from the three pickup on/off switches. I thought this would have been straight forward, but i can't seem to figure out the correct wiring to get them to work as they should. The three pots, volume, and EMG 81 tone, EMG S/SA tone work as expected.

I'm hoping someone on here has experience of how to wire up these three switches. If someone could help me out i'd be very grateful.

I can post a circuit diagram of the current wiring if this helps?

best wishes,

Mike

Diagram would be helpful. Do you have the pickups wired to the switches and from the switches to the volume pot?

Comment

https://www.emgpickups.com/skin/fron...-3mt-(new).pdf Maybe this will help.

Comment

This diagram from EMG should help. It only has one tone pot but you can see how to add a second and wire it up the same way.

Comment

Hi All,

Please forgive the very delayed rsponse to your messages. I'm having a few health issues at the moment, which are making life somewhat challenging. I'm intending to have another look at the Charvel today, so i will get a wiring diagram together and post it here over the weekend.

I very much appreciate your replies and input :-)

I'm desperate to get my Charvel sorted out as it has great sentimental value to me.

Looking at the circuit diagram posted by Bossrock70 (Thank you very much) it appears the same/similar to what i've tried thus far. However, i won't know until i have another look inside the guitar.

Expect an update very soon,

best wishes,

Mike

Comment

Hi All,

Ok as promised below is the current wiring diagram for my Charvel Model 6.

I know the wiring for the 9v/18v push/pull switch and batteries are correct, as this is what a techie at EMG recommended.

Currently none of the pots work.

i have all of the pickups working by wiring straight to the output jack, but only if all three pickup on/off switches are in the on position.

All of the pickup on/off switches are working as long as they are all switched on at the same time. If just one is in the off position none of the pickups work.

i want to achieve the following:

9v/18v switching on the push/pull tone pot
            master volume, that works for all pickups
            Middle knob as tone knob for just the humbucker pickup
            Push/Pull tone knob (nearest to output jack) as tone knob for both single coil pickups

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Comment

Comment

Sorry fellas, the image isn't coming up as it should. Here is the link,

Cheers,

Mike

https://imgur.com/a/UIjoM

Comment

Comment

Are you using the recommended EMG 25k pots?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hiya all,

Thanks for posting the pic Carbuff - Nice to meet your acquaintence :-) - not sure why it wouldn't work for me.

Toejam, good to meet you too. Yes i am using 25k pots.

I'm planning to desolder everything in the guitar today and start again from the beginning this week.

Bossrock's EMG wiring diagram provided above should be a good start.

Any input would be helpful,

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

The link that opens in the browser for these image sites usually wont work for imbedding the image in a forum. So I went to your link and right clicked on the pic. I chose image info and it showed a bunch of location links. Usually the one that ends in .jpg will be a direct link to the pic and will work in forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X