Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ive figured out what I really like and now need some suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive figured out what I really like and now need some suggestions!

I played for 12 years when younger then took almost a 20 year hiatus and got into other things, but after 16 different guitars in the last 7 years of getting into playing again, Ive figured out what I really like. My favourite for my X-large glove size hands are my RR5 neck with 44mm nut width. My favourite body shape is my Ibanez RG920. So what would I be looking for to accommodate that? Dinky, Soloist? or are there more.

I really want that 44mm nut and neck profile of the RR5, that is the most important thing. The body can vary some. I dont mind the RR5 body, but it sucks sitting down and standing pokes in you the leg, Im use to it though. I think I would like a King V better than RR5 body.. Just gottsta have that big nut and profile!

Thanks in advance to all who reply!
    Last edited by Erection Jackson; 11-22-2017, 06:51 PM.

There’s a brand you mentioned as your favourite for the body shape which had a model with a 44mm nut and a pretty big neck, but I don’t know if suggesting it here would be a good idea…

It was a top of the line neckthru, with a high quality craftmanship, no more in production.
    A variation of their best selling model.
    It could be worthy for a test if you find one.

Comment

44mm nut? That's 1 & 3/4". Jackson's standard nut width is 1 & 11/16" even on the RR5 (which would be 43mm). I'm not aware they make anything larger.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Luca1973, Well I like my Jackson RR5 neck more than my Ibanez with 43mm nut. I also think the slightly thicker neck of the RR5 I know I like too. Then of course the rest of the neck on my RR5 is divine for me. I just love it to death! and I get squeaky clean D chords too..lol So I dont care really what body as long as it has that neck profile. Even a Kelly shape, just anything but but the Rhoads RR shape. Just Strat style body. You can PM about that other guitar if you like, am always interested! TY

Comment

Just measured again and the RR5 stock nut is 43.89mm and right below the nut on the neck is 43.68mm. This is a 2005 RR5 all OEM.

My 96' RR3 has a 43.18mm locking nut and right below the nut, the neck is 42.51mm.
          Last edited by Erection Jackson; 11-22-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

The DKMG has an "RG" body and a thicker neck than other Dinky models.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              The DKMG has an "RG" body and a thicker neck than other Dinky models.
              If an RG had an archtop, maybe.

Comment

For what it's worth, and this may be tangential to the discussion at hand, but there are archtopped RGs; however, they receive the RGA designation. :dunno:
                Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Oh, yeah, forgot about the RGA, but it's still got more pointy horns and harder edges.

Comment

What is the neck profile on the Mark Morton Jackson? I've never played one but I thought I remember guys here saying they have fatter necks. Wondering if those have 1 3/4" nut width.

Comment

I have a Morton but it's not with me to measure. I think it has a standard soloist string spacing, 1 11/16 if not mistaken. The neck is one of Jackson's fattest, possibly rivaling the PC1. It's not too thick though.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Some ESP Lynch models come with a 1 3/4" nut I believe.

Comment

According to the Jackson website, Dominion page (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/shape/dominion), here are the nut widths for the various currently-offered Mark Morton Dominion models.

USA: 1.6875" (42.86 mm)
                          https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...d-violin-brown

Pro Series: 1.75" (44.45 mm)
                          https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...gerboard-ivory

X Series: 1.6875" (42.86 mm)
                          https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...rd-satin-black

Comment

http://www.biglouguitar.com/Magnumorange.htm
                            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                              I have a Morton but it's not with me to measure. I think it has a standard soloist string spacing, 1 11/16 if not mistaken. The neck is one of Jackson's fattest, possibly rivaling the PC1. It's not too thick though.
                              Yep, 1 11/16". Nice fat back shape, not really round, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X