Help me pick a replacement for the JT6 trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a replacement for the JT6 trem

Title Says it all guys. Really wana replace this bridge. I have it blocked but it's still not staying in tune as well as it should. I plan on keeping the JT6 posts. My choices are the OFR, Schaller or Gotoh. I'd appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction. Thanks

http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-BLAC...EEL_p_510.html

I have one on the way.
    Did a bunch of internet research on it, and the consensus is that it's made by Ping to the exact quality of their LIC Floyd. Which is to say pretty damn good. I've been eyeballing them for a while now, and all of the reviews I've read have a hard time finding any fault with it, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll let you know once is here and installed.
    Last edited by bombtek; 09-03-2017, 11:45 AM.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

That looks promising and it's in my price range. Please let me know how you like it.

Comment

If you are blocking a double-locking tremolo from both directions of travel, and your guitar is still not staying in tune, I can only guess that there are other factors contributing to tuning instability. When you install fresh strings, are you stretching your strings thoroughly? The JT6 locknut is behind the "real nut"; have you lubricated the "real nut" (with graphite, petroleum jelly, or my favorite - white lithium grease)? Do the saddles have any abnormalities that could cause the strings to bind?

Comment

Problem fixed. Locking nut pieces were installed incorrectly. Still not a huge fan of this trem though.

Comment

It might be worthwhile to do a complete teardown, scrub, and lube on the trem to get things moving smoothly again. It shouldn't be that difficult considering it is blocked. But it would free up any fine tuners that are sticky. I would never replace a JT6 if I planned to keep the guitar set up as a fixed bridge. It's not worth the expense, and I prefer the 2" string spacing and vintage vibe of the JT6 anyway.

Comment

Is it just me or is one of the knife edges cropped out of the photos?
              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

That's how it is, one straight knife edge and the other rounded, similar to Ibanez and Gotoh trems.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  That's how it is, one straight knife edge and the other rounded, similar to Ibanez and Gotoh trems.
                  It allows for some variance in the post spacing. I guess the JT6 designers didn't have a lot of confidence in the guy running the drill press.

Comment

I'm starting to lean towards your recommendation. I don't have the bridge blocked completely, just from allowing me to pull up. So I can just dive with it. I'm really digging the tone since I've installed the big block and I'm starting to become very suspicious of those who talk negatively about the this trem. I definitely had my doubts about it when I got it, but I've been impressed with it and my tuning issues have been resolved. I can't help but feel the money is better spent replacing the god awful jackson branded humbucker that's in here. I think it's a j50bc. Debating between a JB and jazz.

Comment

I'd stick with a J50 over a JB any day.

Comment

Yup. Any one of those mid 80s Jackson in house wound pickups are fucking awesome.
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I'm of the belief that any tremolo system becomes "at least generally usable" when set up correctly. Glad you made your JT6 work for you!

Here is the story behind Jackson's in-house pickups. http://charvelusa.com/jackson_pickups.html The legendary Abigail Ybarra wound some of these pickups.

Comment

The JT6 is a pretty good unit. It's made of cheap metal, but never had a problem with them.

Comment

Would anybody happen to know if a jt6 trem would work on a guitar with OFR studs? I have a custom build super strat with a 1984 OFR that I love. But the neck isn't as wide as a charvel neck. I actually run into the high e slipping off the board an I wanted to swap the jt6 onto my other guitar so I can put my original floyd on this jackson. It would also make it so my high e isn't as close the the end of the frets. But it all comes down to whether or not the jt6 will work on OFR studs.

Comment

Working...
                              X