Cleaning a new used guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a new used guitar

So about six weeks ago I picked up a mint MIJ San Dimas Pro Mod from a cat lover and I'm really allergic to cats. When I got it home and started playing it I could immediately tell I was allergic to the guitar. I took the strings off, wiped down everything with a damp cloth, took a detailing brush to clean the bridge and brush out whatever I could reach in the pickup cavities too , used some Dunlop polish, and restrung it with new slinkies. Played it the rest of that week but could tell I was having a reaction still. I put it up on the wall hanger thinking it just needed to air out and just played my other Charvels, Jacksons, and EVH's in the meantime. Fast forward to today....a couple minutes into rocking some Whitesnake I could feel my throat tightening, and my skin itching....allergies. WTF!!!! Still happening!!!! Any advice? Maybe another wipe down, use a steam cleaner on it, vacuum it, let it air out outside overnight? And no, its not for sale or trade!!!! It's keeper!!!!

I've bought and traded at least 30 guitars if not more. This has never happened to me.

You need to use a more aggressive cleaner. I would suggest a Lysol/Clorox wipe or something similar. Maybe follow that up with Naptha to remove any residue from the wipe left over.

Comment

I would blow everything out/off with an air compressor. Good luck Brother.

Comment

Watch out for the case or bag if you have one, it is surely contaminated.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post

I sincerely doubt you are getting a reaction from the guitar, unless some kind of (uncured) paint or solvent is present
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Case has to go if it came with one. My cat will try to lay in mine if I leave it open for seconds. You can probably try to scrub it but I'd just sell it and move on.

Otherwise the compressed air idea is a good one. It's not fur that gets you. It's the dander and the residue from saliva from the cat's mouth. Compressed air and a wash off.

Comment

I use a portable air compressor to get all the hard to reach spots. Works great.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Cat Dander allergy. Ouch.
                As mentioned before,
                Replace the case, the dander will not come out, not worth your time to attempt.
                wear surgical gloves, change out often between steps.
                Tear down the guitar.
                Blow off body, neck, parts with compressed air.
                using absorbent paper towels sheets, wipe down with naptha, q tip and tooth brush parts with naptha.
                repeat till symptoms subside.
                it will take a while.
                >^v^<

Comment

I would try some carpet cleaning powder (for the house) in your case. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then vac it with something powerful. Then vigorously shake it out away from your house as the final step. I had to do this (among other things) in the past for several of my nice empty cases which I had foolishly left in my non climate-controlled basement for a few years. Moisture had infiltrated them and you can guess the rest....I keep them in a spare bedroom now...

Any kind of treated wipe such as those with Clorox it adequate for cleaning your guitar, although you could partially disassemble if you are really paranoid about it causing problems. After cleaning, make sure to apply polish/lem oil as you would normally. Cat dander won't remain a problem forever if it is not being renewed anyway. If you still have the problem after all of these things, it's not coming from the guitar....
                  '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                  '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                  '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                  '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                  '90 Charvel 475 XL
                  '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                  Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                  Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                  Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
                  X