Jackson Single Coils (90s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Single Coils (90s)

Hi there guys, new to this forum, but I've got quite a collection of J/C axes, I do have knowledge about these, but I was always a bit confused about the single coils pickups when it comes to telling some differences between them..
    So.. in the beginning I'm referring to 90s Japanese Charvel/Jackson axes.
    I've bought a set of Jackson pickups. I thought these were J92 (JH-2) and 2x J100 singles. As far as I were right about the humbucker, the single coils have 12kOhm output each! Whereas J100 has around 6kOhm only.
    They're not sealed in the cover like J200, what's more, mine have plain logos, the same as J110 for example..
    Looking through the catalogues I found information about different single coils:
    - J100 - which we all know, typical single coil, 6kOhm.
    - J110 - I always call it a cheaper version of J100, lol. It comes with all low-end Japanese Jackson models (EX/LT Professionals and Concept series, probably a few more)
    - J200 - that's the 12kOhm pickups used typically with active circuits. Sealed in a cover.
    - J200R - rail humbucker, used in typically Fusion models I think..
    And there are 3 pickups I totally do not know. J-100RW, J-120 and J-100VS.. J-100RW being reverse wound J100, but the other two.. I totally have no clue what these might be.
    Anyone has these? I would love to get some information about these pickups.
    Audiozone.dk (which has some mistakes sometimes, anyway..) tells me that for example Dinky XL had J100VS single coils, along with J92, so I think that my set might be taken from that Dinky.

Last edited by Ravenrock; 05-31-2017, 08:39 AM.
    My Jackson/Charvel collection:

Charvel Model Series: Model 2 '87, Model 3 '86, Model 4 '87, Model 6 '86,
    Charvel Toothpaste: 750XL Honey Burst, 650XL, 475 Platinum Crackle, 375 Desert Crackle, Fusion Deluxe,
    Jackson Professionals: Fusion Pro '90, RR Pro '90, King V Pro, Dinky Rev '93, Infinity XL, LSX-III, Concert XL w/ 18V Reflex, Kelly KE3 Custom and JSX-94 Concept.

I actually got into history of those pickups and there was something like J100XL, which I suppose is an early version of J100VS.. J100XL exist in the catalogues (for example J/C Japan Only 1989) just until 1990/1991.. along with J100 and J200, so in 1989/1990 there was nothing like J110/J120/J100-RW/J-100VS. These had to be introduced in late 1991 I think, due to the fact that they started to appear in 1992 Professional series Jacksons and never appeared in 1989-1991 toothpaste logo Charvels. That's tough, lol.

Charvel Toothpaste: 750XL Honey Burst, 650XL, 475 Platinum Crackle, 375 Desert Crackle, Fusion Deluxe,
    Jackson Professionals: Fusion Pro '90, RR Pro '90, King V Pro, Dinky Rev '93, Infinity XL, LSX-III, Concert XL w/ 18V Reflex, Kelly KE3 Custom and JSX-94 Concept.

Comment

Not sure if this helps to fill in the gaps, but here it is anyway: http://charvelusa.com/jackson_pickups.html

Comment

The "XL" is an overwound model to create more output and a "hotter" sound. The "VS" I think is vintage single coil, and uses an alnico 2 magnet instead of the alnico 5.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I love the J200s, and still have them in my Soloist and 475XL. A little mild without mid boost, but they respond to it very well and also give crystal cleans.

And the J200Rs are great for Alex Masi type shred neck tones....
          '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
          '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
          '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
          '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
          '90 Charvel 475 XL
          '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
          Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
          Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
          Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Here's what I mean... on the right you've got a typical old-style J100 taken out of Model 1A.

And on the left there's a single coil, which in fact has two wirings - it has 6kOhm each, around 12kOhm together. J100XL doesn't exist in the catalogues in the Charvel toothpaste era and Professional series Jacksons I think.. but the pickups I've bought (J92, these two 12kOhm pickups) and also two original pots, five-way switch. It rather means it was taken out of a complete guitar and all guitars with J92 in the bridge have J100VS.. so I think these pickups might be J100VS, essentially the same thing as J100XL. But I don't know. Everything would be clear if someone had a Dinky XL, Standard, maybe a Stealth Pro.

Comment

Working...
            X