Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO neck thickness listings? Why/where

Hi,
    Every catalog that I've seen for Jackson doesn't conveniently list the neck thickness of the guitar. The store catalogs, online stores, etc. don't have it either. How can I get this information?
    Fortunately ESP make some sort of classification along with Schecter, but Ibanez is the best for that giving you specs for each neck type.

I thought every Jackson would be amazingly thin, but then I walked into a Samash and picked up their Dinky DK3QM and was wtf is this a baseball bat?

Since most of the good Jackson are all online, in a galaxy far far away and can never hope to try them each of them out in person, I really need to know thickness of necks before buying.

I did a search here and very vague searches came up for "neck thickness" and on Google. Thanks if u guys can help!
    Last edited by DanzoStrife; 05-27-2017, 01:03 AM.

if you want a thin neck from jackson, search out a late 80's/early 90's usa dinky...i'm unsure of the new neck specs but my 89 dinky has an almost ibanez thin neck...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Fusions are the thinnest ever if you're willing to look around used.

Comment

I don't think the neck specs have been listed since 2006.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I also really need a
          1. Neck through OR
          2. Contoured heel

How is the Jackson DK2M from the mid 2000s? It has nice specs, but not sure if its thin. I'm talking about the MIJ one.
          The RR5 as well as MIJ Soloists are the other 2 considerations.

I like Kelly's and the basswood seems to improve it quite a bit, too bad they are only the cheap versions. I had Kelly performer that I parted with due to the extremely heavy weight and heel. The neck seemed thin and flat tho.
          Last edited by DanzoStrife; 05-27-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Necks tend to be inconsistent throughout the years, even during the same year. A DK2M should have a pretty thin D shape. I have a 2011 DKMGT and a neck from 2007 DK2T. They are almost exactly the same; kinda' D shape, thin, but not absurdly thin. Both are Speed Necks if I'm not mistaken.

An RR5 or SL3 is listed as having a slightly larger, rounder, profile than the Speed Neck. My USA SL2HT has that profile...rounder and only slightly noticeably larger than the Dinky. The USA RR1 has the same as the Soloist.

All that said, I'm certain there are examples that go against my examples. I've heard of DK2's with much thicker necks than the norm a number of times.

*any Dinky will be bolt on neck if you weren't aware.

I sometimes use the 2006 catalogue for measurements among all the models, but I always make it known there are many exceptions to the rules.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

MUDLARK: Thanks for the useful info! The 2006 Catalog is most helpful. It seems the Soloist and RR5 have too thick of necks to me. Too bad as they are neck thru. Odd since the Jeff Hanneman LTD jh600 which I have is a copy of the SOLOIST but has a Ultra Thin U neck (20mm) or .78" I wouldn't go thicker than the DK2m but prefer thinner. The Dk2m isn't neck through but its neck is thin enough at .810 and it's contoured at least. THE RR3 has a square heel with no back contour to allow access to upper frets.
              Did Randy prefer the thicker necks? Is that why the higher end ones are thicker? I kinda expected the super sleek RR shape to have the thinnest neck available but haha i guess just looks are deceiving.

Comment

The DK2M may be thin on paper but to my hands it feels pretty beefy. I would say its thin, but idk, I guess it's the shape.

The KE3 neck is the most Ibanez like that I've played. Super thin and flat. Every other J/C neck I've played has a totally different feel than the Kelly.. and they have all felt smaller than the DK2M neck, to me anyway.
                Not that it's a bad thing as I'm a huge fan of the DK2M. I don't see them as often anymore but I used to see them for sale all the time for $400 ish.

For new, I checked out the juggernaut pro ht6 and it had what felt like a thin, flat, fast neck with a very accessible heel with contours on the rear of the cutaways.
                I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Thanks for your input TKEBlue.

I'm also curious about build quality of recent Jacksons from Indonesia , like the RRXMG or the X series Kelly. I really am interested in a LIGHTWEIGHT, ergonomic heel and thin neck type guitar but love the style of Jacksons. This leads me down the road of Ibanez which they are known for the first 3, but not for the radical exotic "super car" shapes. The RR and Kelly are like Lamborghini and Bugatti haha.

Anyways, at the trip to Samash I felt interested in the feel of the new RRXMG and bass wood Kelly they had. I really wished Japanese Jacksons had something light of this sort. People associate Basswood with a cheap guitar and that's so far from the truth.

Comment

I know they had some neck specs for the USA series guitars on the website a few years ago, but I've also found that the Soloists I've tried have varied quite a bit in nut width and overall shape. If you prefer a specific carve then honestly it's best to contact the seller and see if you can get a description that satisfies you. I personally like a C shape, with less shoulder, regardless of the nut width. I own a couple of Soloists that feel perfect, and I've returned a few that had very broad shoulders and were very flat, much more like an Ibanez feel. I can't comment much on the imports, other than the fact they've been consistently wide and flat feeling, probably more consistent than the US models.

Comment

Working...
                    X