No announcement yet.

Need help...planning to buy a pre owned charvel guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That almost looks like a Charvel Model 4 neck with replaced tuners (original had Jackson-labeled Gotoh tuners if I am not mistaken, but not Gotoh-labeled Gotoh tuners), but the body doesn't look like anything Jackson or Charvel offers. If you could secure a photo of the back of the body, that would help. Often the trem route and electronics route on non-J/C bodies is shaped differently and thus be a strong giveaway of authenticity or not. Just judging the front of the body, the bridge looks way too close to the butt of the guitar compared to anything J/C ever offered. I also don't recognize that control layout.

Even if the neck is a truly a Charvel Model 4 neck, the body is not the original match.

That whammy bar looks suspiciously long and I can't quite put my finger on why it is.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-21-2017, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah, even though the body seems to be a reasonable shape, the guitar appears tiny or something.

I second posting a pic of the cavities. A tremolo that far back on the body is odd to me, too.
      It's way back where you'd expect to see a bass guitar bridge.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

here's the back photo of the guitar.....

https://scontent.fmnl6-1.fna.fbcdn.n...72&oe=58D27A14

https://scontent.fmnl6-1.fna.fbcdn.n...d8&oe=59567D60

thanks for your comments
        Last edited by intexintex0; 03-21-2017, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Mutt!

Not legit!

Comment

That oblong-shaped control route did appear on some Jacksons but I'm not aware it appeared on any Jackson/Charvel superstrat-shape bodies. Superstrats from J/C typically have a triangular "San Dimas route" or the large kidney-shaped "Ontario route". Your mystery guitar definitely does not have a Jackson/Charvel body, but I still feel the neck is from a Charvel Model 4.

Here is the oblong-shaped control route on a Jackson Kelly. I owned a mid-1990s KE3 with that route. I remember there being almost zero room in there for a 9V battery for the EMG pickups I installed in that guitar. The cavity cover actually bulged up.

Here is the oblong-shaped route on a Jackson Death Angel, though it does look longer than on the Kellys above. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/152...any-signature)

San Dimas route:

Ontario route:

A couple new routes debuted recently but I don't know the name for them:

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-21-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I'm no Charvel expert, but I've never seen that control route on a Strat shaped Charvel or Jackson.

I'd suggest removing the neck and checking the pocket/neck heel for date/model stamps. If the neck or body is Japan made there should be markings, or at least Jacksons have stamps, again, I'm not sure on Charvels.

I can't get past the tremolo location. That's waaaaay back.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
              X