Help with ID on (rare?) JJ guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID on (rare?) JJ guitar

So I found a cool JJ used for a great price and I am looking for more info on what I purchased. I haven't found anything quite like it anywhere online in spite of some pretty exhaustive research. Even the folks at Fender could not assist. Maybe one of you collectors/enthusiasts can help.

The guitar is a JJ in Metallic Gold (MG). It has a single EMG actice humbucker in bridge position and no neck pickup. The body is LP double-cutaway style, like a Gibson LP double-cut Junior. It has a Wilkinson Tremelo bridge. It appears to be original factory (not modded), though I am not 100% sure. The MG finish IS a factory finish, and I have read that Wilkinson bridges were sometimes stock. As far as the pickup, I think it is original or else the previous owner did a great job of routing for the battery.

I read that the JJ models do not have a serial number plate, and that the serial numbers were "stamped on the finger board" (according to the Jackson serial number lookup page), but I cannot locate the serial number anywhere.

I haven't seen one quite like this anywhere on line and I have been looking. Also read through all the PDFs of the back catalogs during relevant years. Any help greatly appreciated.

I guess I am hoping to find out the exact model number, year made, approximate value of the guitar, and whether or not this guitar is indeed rare.

Hope everyone is having a great day! Cheers and happy picking!
    Last edited by James davidson; 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM.

Purchased at Guitar Center in Athens GA for $100 btw. I did not know anything about the guitar (neither did the people working there) other than it looked cool and that I figured that the pickup and hard case alone were worth what I was paying. Having done a little research I am starting to think I got majorly lucky here. Hoping one of you experts can fill in some of the information gaps lol. Cheers!
    Last edited by James davidson; 12-19-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Comment

Nice. I don't remember any of them coming with the Wilkinson trem. Some had Wilkinson wrap-around tail pieces, but I can't remember a trem.
        And I'm pretty sure the EMG would not be original to that (and possibly the tone control).
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, I remember the trem one, but the EMG would be aftermarket.

EDIT: That said, the only trem version I can find in the old catalogs had 2 pickups and was a US made guitar so...
          Last edited by neilli; 12-19-2016, 09:04 PM.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Wasn't there a 5-string Custom Shop JJ? Wondering if this could be something similar, like maybe they did a bunch of experimental one-offs similar to the "Let's make one of everything out of ash" run?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Wasn't there a 5-string Custom Shop JJ? Wondering if this could be something similar, like maybe they did a bunch of experimental one-offs similar to the "Let's make one of everything out of ash" run?
              yea, there was a 5 string version. Pete Oklastrat won one in a lead break competition.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I'm not familiar with this particular model, but I know at least some Japanese made JJ's had a serial on a sticker placed on the back of the headstock. Do you see any sticker residue on the headstock?
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That is one seriously cool guitar! Congratulations man.

I'm with neilli, I think the EMG is aftermarket and what Mudlark says about the serial number being on a sticker is also correct afaik because my Japanese JJ has one You can nearly see the sticker in this photo.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    yea, there was a 5 string version. Pete Oklastrat won one in a lead break competition.
                    Yep, the JJ5, but it was a short-lived production model.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. I do believe that serial number may well have been on a sticker and that the reside is just gone. I rubbed that baby with lemon oil when I changed strings and probably wiped it away. Interesting about the EMG; I fgured it was stock just based on the routing for the battery being so professional and clean.

At any rate, I am thrilled with this find. I think I got a steal for 100 bucks including case. Happy to be in the Jackson family, having always been a Gibson player. Great axe, and great people on this forum. Thanks again, and keep the info coming if anyone has anything more to add. Cheers!

Comment

Any markings on the guitar to indicate its country of manufacture? $100 with case is a steal. Normally $100 will get you a used JS Series, which are certainly not Japanese nor American.

The JJ headstock is the one that should really be used on the Jackson Monarkh guitars. Pointy headstocks don't look quite right with an LP body shape, even one as sleek and aggressive as the Monarkh.

Comment

If it is a Japanese made model it may have date/model stamps in the neck pocket and on the neck heel.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Could be a Chinese JJ3 proto? Post number 10 from Kevin Easton in this old thread. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/726...yone-Have-Info

Comment

It could be one of the guitars that Kevin speaks of, but I wonder if he misspoke about the Chinese part? I've never seen or read of any Chinese Jacksons before 2012.

Comment

Working...
                              X