I think I have a DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have a DK2

Hey guys, noob here. I've been a bass player for all of my adult life, and played guitar on and off before and during that time. I've had a MIM strat H/S/S for a few years now, but I was looking for something different - flatter fingerboard, hotter pickups, possibly a Floyd Rose, etc. Went to a local shop that said they had a Kramer Baretta Vintage on a "manager's special" for $400.00. Turns out that it was on special because the neck was bad. The sales guy then asked me if I might be interested in something used. Well, that depends, obviously. He handed me this Jackson Dinky, H/S/S, Seymour Duncan pickups, transparent blue on flame, scarf jointed maple neck, sharkfin(?) inlays, Jackson licensed Floyd Rose. I plugged it in, and was floored by the sound of the bridge pickup, which I assume is a JB. I'm not all that familiar with all things Jackson, but this sounds to me like a DK2. Serial number is 9764430. He wanted $299 for it. He showed me a few other guitars, kind of pushing an Adrian Smith SDX. The Dinky sounded and felt much better than anything else, so that's what I bought. It has a couple of significant dings on the edge of the body, but the neck is very clean, and fantastic.

This is my first Jackson, my first SD JB, and my first Floyd Rose. I don't know if the price was good or bad, it included a Road Runner rectangular soft-ish case, and strap locks. I still have the dead strings on it that were on it in the shop, and it sounds great anyway. Soon I will try a set of Elixirs. I've been enjoying playing it so much that I haven't even gotten around to putting the tremolo arm on it.

Yep, sounds like a DK2. Got a pic?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Without a pic I'd say DK2.
      Black hardware? They switched to black hardware/Seymour Duncans in 2006 from chrome hardware/Duncan Designed.

That serial falls around late- '05- 2006...the neck pocket will have day/month/year stamps if you're curious,

$299 is a good deal if it functions properly. Japanese made DK2's and similar pro series models can be had in many used markets today for $3-400, oftentimes with a hard case.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Pics, as requested:

So there you have it. The area with the damage makes it appear as if it was thrown down a flight of stairs, or possibly used to repel invading hordes. The headstock is very clean, and the pictured damage doesn't look quite as bad under normal lighting rather than camera flash. Frets are good, with just a little grooving, mostly down low.

Comment

They ARE good for repelling invading hordes.

But what kind of strap button is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            They ARE good for repelling invading hordes.

But what kind of strap button is that?
            Dunlop strap locks.

Comment

Good guitar at a good price. Just bought the same one myself.

Comment

Working...
              X