Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did a company own Jackson and Akai in Fort Worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a company own Jackson and Akai in Fort Worth?

And if so, what was the name of that company?

I need to win a bet here my friends!

Perhaps you're referring to IMC (International Music Corporation)?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Grover Jackson sold to Akai (AMIC), then they sold to Fender (FMIC).
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

AKAI was HQ'd in Tx.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I thought Grover sold to IMC, which was Donny Fuckin Wade's venture, then IMC sold to AKAI, then AKAI sold to FMIC?
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            I thought Grover sold to IMC, which was Donny Fuckin Wade's venture, then IMC sold to AKAI, then AKAI sold to FMIC?
            That was my take on it.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Was IMC in the picture? I thought Donnie Wade was with Fender.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                I thought that Grover sold to IMC, but later the complete IMC company was bought by AKAI.

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                  I thought that Grover sold to IMC, but later the complete IMC company was bought by AKAI.
                  Yeah, that sounds about right to me.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Which company injected the most mojo into the woodgrain and wood glue?

(ducks).

Comment

The way I remember it is that IMC(the parent company) owned both Akai and Jackson after Grover sold out in 1989. I think Donny Wade was over both Akai and Charvel/Jackson............. or moved over from Akai to C/J. By the way, we always called him "DFW", Donny Fuckin' Wade.

Comment

If you google a bit, you'll find a press release from a while ago which should also answer the initial question:

AKAI acquires International Music Corp. (AKAI Electric Company Ltd.)
                        On January 2, AKAI Electric Company, Ltd., of Tokyo, Japan, announced the acquisition of International Music Company (IMC). Under terms of the agreement, Akai Electric purchased select assets of IMC, including Jackson/Charvel guitars, Ross Electronics, and all North American distribution systems for Akai Electronic Musical Instruments. Akai Electric has since renamed IMC "Akai Musical Instrument Corporation" (AMIC) and named the following management team: Tommy Moore, president; Tom Linklater, vice-president electronics; Tom Moore II, vice-president international; Mark Glaser, vice-president operations; Jerry Sehi, vice-president sales; Charles Perrino, director fretted instruments.

Seems that a difference between "AKAI Electric Company, Ltd.", "Akai Electronic Musical Instruments" and "Akai Musical Instrument Corporation" causes confusions
                        Last edited by busdriver; 06-20-2016, 11:39 PM.

Comment

OK, thanks busdriver. I knew there was some kind of relationship between Akai and AMIC and that Donnie Wade flipped around between the two. I just got it backwards.

Comment

I've always used the 3 terms (Akai, IMC, AMIC) interchangeably, as if they were one.
                            Which is odd, because I don't refer to Jackson as Fender or FMIC.

Comment

And I am surprised that no one made mention of ----
                              But the guitars were never made in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X