New/updated guitar/family photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/updated guitar/family photos

You've seen the photos of the Charvel Model 1C: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...=1#post1644547

Ten years ago I started a topic (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/568...fore-and-after!) showing my 1998 Jackson SHS1 Shannon Soloist and unknown-year ESP/Edwards E-LP-90-LTC (best guess as to the model name) '68 Les Paul Custom.

Ten years later, other than a bit of tarnish on some of the hardware, these guitars still look as cosmetically excellent as the day I acquired them. Either I take good care of my stuff or I don't play them hard enough. And ten years later, I'm not necessarily a better guitarist nor photographer.

Pics:

Last year I sold all my expensive, all-solid acoustic guitars and quit playing guitar altogether. I kept the Soloist and Les Paul though (just in case). I recently reignited my passion for playing (hence I bought the Charvel Model 1C) and decided I needed at least one acoustic again. Last month, I jumped on a CAD$100 Yamaha FG700MS (no case), the best ever cheap acoustic with a solid spruce top, possibly one of the best bang-for-the-buck purchases I have ever made considering the seller never played it and it was dead mint. Haven't yet gotten around to cleaning it, putting on new strings, nor setting it up, but I took photos anyway:

Very nice - love the Shannon!!
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I'm glad that common sense prevailed and you hung on to the Shannon when you shed your collection. Would be a shame to ever let that go
      Hail yesterday

Comment

These must be the first photos I've taken of the Shannon with the APC pickups (200 single coils and Persuader Lead humbucker) installed in standard 5-way pickup switching configuration. If memory serves me correctly, a bunch of JCFers got together for a group purchase of APC pickups many years ago.

During the time I've owned the guitar, it never had stock pickups anyway; I got it from JCFer jonsgon back in early 2004 and it had Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and a DiMarzio Super 3, wired in such a manner with a 5-way switch that allowed coil-splitting the neck and bridge pickups in positions 2 and 4. Somebody got rid of the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker and SSL-5 Custom Staggered Strat singles. So I don't feel bad about not having the guitar totally stock.

You can't see the trem block in the photos, but at some point I also installed the big brass block from Floyd Upgrades (now called www.FU-Tone.com). Perhaps this was also a JCF group buy? It was so long ago that I can't remember. I still have the stock block, and I'm not sure I can tell the tone/sustain difference, but I like to tell myself the big brass block is an improvement.

Details are murky since I've had the guitar for so many years (it's currently the guitar I've kept the longest) and the upgrades were added so gradually. Everything else is stock.

I think I made the right choice too. I sold my 1998 Taylor K14c, my 1995 Taylor GAMC, a couple cheaper recent Mexican Taylors, and a Bedell TB-18-G, all for a profit and don't miss any of them the way I imagine I'd miss the Soloist and Les Paul. (Couldn't bring my guitars outside today like in the underlined links here, because my grassy area is currently full of dandelions.)

Tomorrow I'm hopefully buying a Charvel So-Cal in polar white from the sixth USA Pro-Mod batch. I've only ever owned black electric guitars and natural acoustic guitars because I'm anal like that. This So-Cal is about to change 15 years of being OCD.

Comment

Very cool guitars there!

I remember those APC pickups being talked about here, and I've been thinking of one of the single coils for the bridge position of my new G&L.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Those Edwards sorely tempt me- especially when ¥ is weak vs dollar, ishibashi makes me drool. How is it?

Comment

Ahhh, I just checked the APC website and they no longer offer those "200" single coils. Best of luck toejam with whatever single coil you choose.

The Les Paul rips. Everyone who has played it has commented how awesome it is. Other than the medium-sized frets (I'm accustomed to jumbos) and mediocre upper fret access (but that's inherent to Les Pauls anyway), I have no complaints. It's probably my thickest/warmest sounding guitar and it doesn't weigh a ton like some Les Pauls. I'm not an authority on Les Pauls, but for about USD$850 (if I recall correctly) shipped from Japan, it's difficult to complain.

I bought the 6th batch polar white USA Charvel So-Cal today. Seller listed it at CAD$850 (USD$646) with Yorkville (made in Canada) teardrop hardshell case, and he was willing to go down to CAD$800 (USD$608). Needless to say I was very pleased. Guitar is not as pristine as was pictured in his ad, but the blemishes are only minor anyway and easy to overlook. I spent the evening setting it up, it plays incredibly well, and sounds huge. It's too late/dark to take photos tonight, but hopefully I'll shoot some pics tomorrow!
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 05-23-2016, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                Ahhh, I just checked the APC website and they no longer offer those "200" single coils. Best of luck toejam with whatever single coil you choose.
                The 300 or 400 might work. I've also been checking out the Fralin Split-Blade as well as a Duncan Little Screamin Demon or similar. I'm so confused as to what I want, but I definitely want hum-cancelling or as quiet as can be in the bridge.

I look forward to seeing your new white So-Cal!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nice Edwards you got there!
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

So-Cal pics here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...in-polar-white

Preview:

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 05-24-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Very nice color on that Charvel...I'm not a fan of the snow white...its Ok but the cream is much cooler.

Comment

Great to see those APCs in your Shannon, I just installed a Persuader Lead in my warrior the other day and love it. I found the spreadsheets I had to keep track of everyone ordering the APCs a while back - I think there were roughly 10 or so JCF guys who got them. It's going back over 10 years now...crazy. Glad to know he's still around making pickups, I was wondering about that. He's a good guy...wasn't much of a phone guy, but nice in person.
                        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                        RIP Dime

Comment

For completeness' sake, here's another new family member:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...l-in-candy-red

Comment

I Have the APC Persuader Lead Custom in the bridge and Malice in the Neck on a 5 way super switch and 250k pots in my Dinky reverse/Maple Fingerboard.
                            my favorite guitar.
                            I added the Custom Audio Labs Redeemer circuit.
                            LOVE that setup all day.
                            so quiet and so expressive.
                            Love that Shannon a lot. Nice guitar.
                            An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
                            A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              The 300 or 400 might work. I've also been checking out the Fralin Split-Blade as well as a Duncan Little Screamin Demon or similar. I'm so confused as to what I want, but I definitely want hum-cancelling or as quiet as can be in the bridge.

I look forward to seeing your new white So-Cal!
                              Hey Toejam! I am in a similar situation to you, pickup wise - my rep at Dimarzio suggested trying the Injector noiseless single coils in a Jackson Soloist style guitar - I am probably going to go with those, I need some noiseless single coil pickups for my 3 TITE soloist custom. Probably gonna use the Injectors for the bridge and neck, and an Area 67 in t he middle position.

Number of the Priest - that is a really sexy Shannon Soloist, and if I were you I would keep it too!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X