Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Smith SDX, Nut Width Issue

Hi All

Had a bit of a search, but nobody seems to have had a conclusive answer.

A couple of years back, I had an AS/SDX, and suffered with the old problem of the high E slipping off the side of the neck, due to the nut being too wide. (I think Jackson fitted an R4, when really the guitar would have been better with an R3)

Anyway, I sold it, cos it just annoyed the hell out of me.

Thinking about maybe buying another "if" Jackson have solved this simple problem by changing the nut size to R3

Anyone know if they have?

Why not just replace the R4 w/an R3 yourself??

Comment

Maybe, but if its still an issue from new, I will just get an Olympic White HSS Floyd Rose Strat, a lot less bother.

Comment

The fret margin issue can be subjective, I just swap them out with an R3 if it's a problem for me and don't think twice about it.

Comment

And, on a bolt-on, the string slippage issue often has to do with the neck being out of alignment. This can happen from jostling during shipping, even. Loosen the screws, jimmy the neck a hair in the right direction, and problem solved. Then tighten her back up. That could've been your problem.

Comment

Just buy an R3 nut. It's two screws FFS. Why didn't you do that in the first place?
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Firstly, shreddermon, the nut issue is widely discussed and documented. Neck alignment is not the issue. The R4 nut that is fitted as standard jus has a strong spacing that is far too wide for the neck.
              Martinbarre, yes that's an option, but the mounting holes need, plugging, new ones need drilling, and I am not so handy at that kinda thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyshredder View Post
                Martinbarre, yes that's an option, but the mounting holes need, plugging, new ones need drilling, and I am not so handy at that kinda thing.
                I thought R3 and R4 nuts have the same mounting hole locations? I've done the change a couple of times without having to dowel and redrill.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I had one of these from NAMM and it was great, later I checked out another one and it was crap. another situation of impress then slide turds on the stores. if you want a good one buy the USA edition, these are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyshredder View Post
                    No they don't. It should fit the existing holes, but even if it doesn't, just get some matchsticks and PVA glue. It's dead easy.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
                      I had one of these from NAMM and it was great, later I checked out another one and it was crap. another situation of impress then slide turds on the stores. if you want a good one buy the USA edition, these are awesome.
                      My SDX had a deformed Floyd bar barrel (as if put in a vice) and the clamp on B and high E didn't fit the nut
                      Luckily I had some spare parts lying around, and the clamp issue was fixed with a file
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                        My SDX had a deformed Floyd bar barrel (as if put in a vice) and the clamp on B and high E didn't fit the nut
                        Luckily I had some spare parts lying around, and the clamp issue was fixed with a file
                        wow that is just crazy that they let that one slip by. Usually the issues are very slight, that sounds like a total mess. how is the fret finishing work on your SDX, any sharp frets?

Comment

Nope, fretwork is actually very nice

the rest of the guitar is as good as flawless (anything I couldn't have fixed myself without effort would have seen it returned)
                          bit wonky neck, as in the most easiest to perform bends with of all my guitars
                          and the metal of the Floyd isn't as sturdy as a real deal Floyd and gives a little when pulled on (which it shouldn't because it's set up for dive only)
                          Guess that's where the cost cutting factors in

What I consider a very big Plus is that, although basswood, it's heavier than my Epi LP custom and doesn't have the pronounced hollow character that all basswood guitars I played had
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Mine was a complete LEMON. Nut issue, trem cavity issue, pickup adjustment issues... Probably the only guitar I've EVER returned. Of 100's of guitars!!

Comment

I had on too, the e string used to slip off the fretboard too. I never though to change the nut! That would have been the right solution maybe.
                              The string guide on the headstock of my SDX jump out of the guitar one day. The wood was too soft I think...

"As high as we are placed, we're still sittin' on our ass"

Comment

Working...
                              X