Please help identify this Jackson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identify this Jackson...

I'm having trouble finding out exactly what model this Jackson I recently purchased is. Serial number starts with 96xxxxx so I believe it's Japanese manufacture. The guitar has piranha inlays on the neck, one volume and two tones just like the DKMG. Problem is, it has the active EMG pickups (81&85 I assume) and an Aztec Gold finish. It does not have the turbo charger and everything is stock.

A pic would be the quickest way to see what you have. Or, you could remove the neck and check for date/model stamps.

You first need to post your pic on a photo sharing site such as photobucket, tinypic etc, and then copy the link here.

Here's a pre-2006 DKMG. Before '06 all DKMG's that I've seen had 3 knobs... tone, volume and the boost. Did you get the guitar new, from a dealer?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Mudlark; 02-16-2016, 05:14 PM.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I had a DKMG in the past with EMGHZ pickups and tone boost. This guitar blows that away! I got it used from a Guitar Center. It looks like your picture but has active EMGs and is a string through model.
      file:///Users/gilescarlos4/Desktop/IMG_1704.jpg

Comment

I would send a picture but I can't figure out photo bucket...

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

OK. I think I got it... Any idea?

Comment

The DKMG was first made with 3 knobs with the passive pickups. And later with 2 knobs with active pickups.
              So, if it is a DKMG with 2 knobs, it is a later version.

But, face it, they are pickups. They can be changed. So a 3 knob version with active pickups means absolutely nothing.

Comment

Looks like a typical early-mid 2000's DKMGT. I'd recommend checking the neck pocket for the model stamps.
                I'm guessin' a previous owner changed the pups and electronics.

Here's my 2011 DKMGT. Factory 81/85's, no boost. This thing matches my USA Soloist in pretty much every area.

[IMG][/IMG]
                Last edited by Mudlark; 02-17-2016, 02:52 AM.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I'm thinking the pickups are original. I guess it could have been professionally done later but there is a factory cut out in the body for the 9 volt and it looks extremely untouched... Next string change I'll check the neck pocket. I was hoping to get away with not taking the neck off.

Comment

I've seen those battery compartments in other passive bodies.
                    I have no idea as to what it means.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                      I've seen those battery compartments in other passive bodies.
                      I have no idea as to what it means.
                      Some kind of active electronics, like the EMG PA-2 or Turbocharger.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Did some older DKMG's have a separate battery compartment?

I seem to remember seeing the battery in the electronics cavity, but as mentioned, strange things have occurred.

Could be a limited run from a dealer. There were a lot of those in the late '90s-early 2000s.

Comment

I thought they always had a separate battery compartment, but I could be wrong.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This one has the battery cut out in the electronics cavity. On one site I visited they said it was 1996 Japanese manufacture but didn't give any other info.

Comment

I'm curious if the EMG HZ with turbocharger setup has the cut out. I never took the back plate off the one I had... If so, it could be that the pickups were changed out at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X