Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do what to do, which rhoads?

Hi all. The situation is this..

My main guitar is a gibson SG standard. Up until a few weeks ago I didn't think neck-through-body was much of a big deal, and well, I was wrong. I went shopping for a guitar for a friend, he was pretty sure he wanted a jackson, and we tried the SL3 soloist and the neck just blew me away. (He did get the SL3 and it kicks serious ass) I pretty much knew right then my next guitar would have to be neck-through.

I do want a tremolo, although I'd be making fairly light use of it for the most part. I'm not a huge fan from what I've tried, but still, in a way I want one, after all I have a very good hardtail. The neck-through is an absolute must on the other hand. If I was to go with a hardtail, RR5 suits me perfectly, but on the other hand.. if I do want one, I'd have to get the RR1. What I'm asking really is, is it worth that jump to the RR1. Between the RR5 and the RR1, would I REALLY notice a difference in quality? Pretty tempting to just ditch the tremolo and get the RR5. Big money difference. Kinda annoying too, the trem bar gets in my way. I suppose I could get used to it.

Getting a soloist or something else is unfortunately not an option. I'm a huge Randy fan and it'll be sort of a tribute guitar for me [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] .

What also sucks is all the jackson dealers in my area only carry the low end stuff. The SL3 was the only jackson over $1000 (canadian) we found. I assume I could pretty much trust an RR1 to be top notch without personally testing it. Could I say the same for an RR5?

HALP MEH!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks!

Re: What to do what to do, which rhoads?

Mmm yeah, it would be nice to see the return of a neck-thru import RR with a Floyd.

What you can do is look for used guitars. There have been a few neck-thru imports. Look for a Rhoads Pro (same specs as RR1, Schaller Floyd) or a Rhoads Std (rosewood board w. dots, JT580LP) from the old "Professional" series.

Other than that, you could always get an RR5 and take it to a guitar shop to have it Floyded, but I figure that will drive the cost of the guitar up enough that it would be cheaper to get a used RR1.

'bane

Comment

Whats Up,
      I had the same concern too. I have a Gibson LP Custom. Absolutely, Love it!! RR1 or RR5? Trem or not? Well for me after thinking of the minor differences, I finally made my mind up. A USA RR1, it was simple, its a United States product. And in the unimaginable thought of selling it, the USA would prove to be a better return for my buck.
      Now, trem or hardtail. To the point, I went with a trem model. Simply because, even though I would use it seldom, I have a hardtail guitar -- the Gibson. But before I actually decided I researched and asked players, technicians, etc about the tonal and sound differences. That may be due to the hardtail and the floating trem.
      Hope this helped. Enjoy the Jackson! J.

Comment

ImO, you should get the RR1, and then block the recessed side of the floyd, since you're only going to be doing light trem work... you are talking about regular strat style trem work right?

Comment

Originally posted by Kamo:
          ImO, you should get the RR1, and then block the recessed side of the floyd, since you're only going to be doing light trem work... you are talking about regular strat style trem work right?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, just a little vibrato on bends for the most part. Don't much care for raising the pitch or big divebombs and such. Hmm yeah I'll have to consider blocking that side. However, jumping up to the price of the RR1 would be quite difficult. I really wouldn't mind at all if it was all banged up, cosmetically, so maybe I could find one a bit cheaper than usual. I dunno, still hard to justify spending that much. I'm a bit skeptical of the quality difference between the RR1 and say a rhoads pro or RR5.

The rhoads pro sounds great, pretty sure I'll get one of those if I can find one. I don't mind the resale value at all, I don't plan on selling any guitars (seen too many people who have said "damn I wish I hadn't sold that guitar).

Oh, another question. I tried out the RX10D rhoads at a local shop (only rhoads I've tried) and there was one thing that bothered me. The shape of the guitar doesn't bother me at all for sitting. I play my classical guitar in classical position often and I find it quite comfortable. What I'm concerned about is that on that particular guitar, the input jack was in the way of me playing it in that position because it's on the inside. On the other hand the salesman gave me a straight plug, maybe it would be better with an L shaped plug? I could just wear it really high with a strap when sitting but I'd rather not have to adjust the strap every time I want to play seated. Is the plug in the same position on all the rhoads guitars? So... what do the rhoads players do?

Thanks again for the responses, appreciate it.

Comment

I believe some Rhoads models have the jack on the short wing (lower end models) but the RR1, Professional series (1990's), and RR3 have it on the long wing where it belongs. I think the RR5 does as well.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ah yes, you're right newc. Looking closely at the RX10D pic at jackson's website, the jack does appear to be on the short wing, so that's what bothered me. I suppose it wouldn't interfere at all if it was on the long wing. That was the only thing bothering me about the rhoads. Alright, great, thanks.

Comment

I own an RR5, and RR1T and up until very recently, I owned an RR1 as well, so I can give you a fair assesment of each.

RR5:
                Extremely nice feel, excellent pickups, and balances like a dream. Build quality is excellent, albeit without the "nice-ities" of an ebony fretboard, and neck and head binding. MOP is imitation as well. Jack is on the long wing. In a nutshell, plays great, sounds great, but doesn't have the "window dressing" of the RR1T. Compare it somewhat to a Les Paul vs. a Les Paul Stiudio model; same sound, similar feel, but falls short of being the "deluxe" model. My only gripe? The three way toggle switch is noisy, and could stand to be replaced. Swapping the neck pickup out with a Duncan Jazz is also recommended if you play the odd clean passage, but not necessary.

RR1:
                Owned it for about 5 months, and I hated playing it. The balance is off, with it being nose heavy as a result of the Floyd routing. I would literally stare at the thing while playing my RR5 and ponder how bizarre it was that I preferred the import model over the USA. I traded it even-up to a guy for my RR1T.

RR1T:
                This is the sh*t, my friend. Everything I liked about the RR5, plus an ebony fretboard, real mother of pearl, and head and neck binding. It also balances like my RR5. As a bonus, the RR1T came with EMG 81 & 85s, which work very well with my signal chain.

My summary? The RR5 and RR1 are totally different beasts. I loved one, and hated the other. If a trem is not important to you, and a well balanced guitar is, then go with the RR5. If you need a trem and can cope with an off-balanced guitar (I can't, and I will be the first to admit that is my fault, not Jackson's), the RR1 will probably do you well. And, if you can score an RR1T for a decent price, all the better.

- E.
                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                  I believe some Rhoads models have the jack on the short wing (lower end models) but the RR1, Professional series (1990's), and RR3 have it on the long wing where it belongs. I think the RR5 does as well.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newc is correct. The low end, bolt-on professional series Rhoadses had the Gibson-style jack in the lower wing, such as the Rhoads EX and the JRR-94. As far as I know, all the neck-thrus had the Fender-style jack in the upper wing tho'.

My RR-X is a european low-end model and also has the jack in the lower wing. I use a 90 degree tele plug on the cable and it works great for sitting and playing. =)

'bane

[ September 29, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL:
                    My summary? The RR5 and RR1 are totally different beasts. I loved one, and hated the other. If a trem is not important to you, and a well balanced guitar is, then go with the RR5. If you need a trem and can cope with an off-balanced guitar (I can't, and I will be the first to admit that is my fault, not Jackson's), the RR1 will probably do you well. And, if you can score an RR1T for a decent price, all the better.
                    - E.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, seeing as how my main guitar is an SG, which is known to be a neck heavy guitar, I very much doubt an unbalanced guitar would bother me. I never take my hand off the neck because I'm paranoid (even though I have straplocks) so I don't really have a problem with the neck dipping.

I think in the end what it's going to come down to is what I can get a good deal on. I figure whether I get the RR5, the Rhoads Pro, or the RR1 (pretty sure if I was to get a jackson USA guitar I'd get the tremolo, otherwise I'd just get an RR5) I'll be getting a very good guitar.

The binding doesn't much matter to me, really the cosmetic features don't, so I doubt I'd get the RR1. What's so much better about the RR1/RR1T that would make it worth the large amount of money? Just general higher quality workmanship? My friend's import SL3 soloist felt pretty damn awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellinas:
                      What's so much better about the RR1/RR1T that would make it worth the large amount of money? Just general higher quality workmanship? My friend's import SL3 soloist felt pretty damn awesome.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Like the Les Paul Studio vs. the Les Paul, it just boils down to looks, as in a more "finished" appearance. My RR5 and RR1T play very similarily, but I now love the RR1T because it just looks a bit more elegant. But, the RR5 is still a very, very nice guitar for the money. Is an RR1T worth twice the amount for nearly the same guitar? Nah. But you can feel/see the difference between the two and the USA model has the edge.

The only real difference, from a playability point of view, is the rosewood fingerboard of the RR5 vs. the ebony fingerboard of the RR1T. If you've been playing SGs, you're probably used to the Rosewood. Either one works for me.

To somewhat answer a question from your original post, I bought my RR5 having never picked up a Rhoads, and ordered it over the internet from Online Stage Gear, and instantly loved it. I would have no resevations about ordering one if I were you.

And for the record, I am not a trem-hater. I have a Floyd on my PC1, which I love. Trems just don't work for me on Rhoads models.

- E.

Comment

That's pretty much what I figured AlexL. Well that narrows it down to 2, RR5 or Rhoads pro. The RR5 is hella awesome looking anyway, hehe. Well it seems all my questions are answered and then some. Now it's just a matter of keeping an eye out.

You've been very helpful everyone. This has to be the most friendly and flame-free board I've ever seen. *sniff* *sniff*

Comment

The RR5 is hella awesome looking anyway, hehe.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got the black one, and bought some gold humbucker rings from Warmoth to finish the package off.

Looka kinda naaaice. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- E.

Comment

Damn, I gotta get myself an RR5. Too bad the Jackson neck-thrus are virtually impossible to find used over here. -_-

'bane

Comment

We've got some great dealers in Canada - go with an RR5 or RR1T or better yet .... CUSTOM!

McD out

Hi all. The situation is this..

My main guitar is a gibson SG standard. Up until a few weeks ago I didn't think neck-through-body was much of a big deal, and well, I was wrong. I went shopping for a guitar for a friend, he was pretty sure he wanted a jackson, and we tried the SL3 soloist and the neck just blew me away. (He did get the SL3 and it kicks serious ass) I pretty much knew right then my next guitar would have to be neck-through.

I do want a tremolo, although I'd be making fairly light use of it for the most part. I'm not a huge fan from what I've tried, but still, in a way I want one, after all I have a very good hardtail. The neck-through is an absolute must on the other hand. If I was to go with a hardtail, RR5 suits me perfectly, but on the other hand.. if I do want one, I'd have to get the RR1. What I'm asking really is, is it worth that jump to the RR1. Between the RR5 and the RR1, would I REALLY notice a difference in quality? Pretty tempting to just ditch the tremolo and get the RR5. Big money difference. Kinda annoying too, the trem bar gets in my way. I suppose I could get used to it.

Getting a soloist or something else is unfortunately not an option. I'm a huge Randy fan and it'll be sort of a tribute guitar for me [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] .

What also sucks is all the jackson dealers in my area only carry the low end stuff. The SL3 was the only jackson over $1000 (canadian) we found. I assume I could pretty much trust an RR1 to be top notch without personally testing it. Could I say the same for an RR5?

HALP MEH!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                              Thanks!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                              \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X