Going from a 6 string to a 7 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from a 6 string to a 7 ?

How difficult is the transition between a 6 and 7 string guitar ?
    I understand having to relearn all the scales and stuff, but are they like night and day ?

basically is it an easy transition or a tough one ?

Re: Going from a 6 string to a 7 ?

I didn't find it to be all that hard, and had been on a 6 string for about 15 yrs when I went to 7 string.
    Additional neck width is not bad at all, and I think the string spacing is the same.
    Go for it, it will open up a TON of tonal possibilities, especially if you are playing with a bassist that has a Low "B"

Comment

I didn't find it hard.

Andy Oliphant
      The Thirteenth Hour

Comment

It took me a couple of hours to get really comfortable with it. It actually helped me to be more comfortable with a classical hand positioning as opposed to the "rock" position with my thumb wrapped around the neck. This actually helped clean up my playing a great deal, and added some speed to boot. Can't beat that.

Comment

Easy as pee for me. That rhymed on time yehaw!

Comment

I think it was a little harder for me than the others here.

After about two months of forcing myself to play it exclusively, the light suddenly went on. Now, it's harder for me to play six-strings.

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I don't find it that hard to play my 7, but the string spacing does seem a tiny bit closer than on a 6, even though the neck is wider. After playing on the 7 for an extended period of time, though, the neck of the 6 seems much smaller and strange when I go back to it.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I played 6 string for 20 years. The switch to 7 string was very easy. Once I played the 7 strings for a few months it became difficult to play the 6 strings.

One problem that some people have had is that they are used to playing high end 6 string guitars and then try to switch to a 7 string on a cheap entry level 7 string, and that's not a fair comparison. However, with a 7 string that is comprable in quality to your 6 strings, is shouldn't be too much of an effort...
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I wouldn't think their would be to much trouble. It would probably take some getting used to until you start blazing away on it though [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  If your looking for some really cool 7 string technique, check out Rusty Cooley, and i know Paul Gilbert does some crazy stuff with one as well. Also, you really don't have to learn the scales over again. Seeing how theirs a "B" string on a 6 string guitar, all you have to do is play that part of the scale thats played on "B" on a 6 string, on the low "B". [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X