Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Jackson guitar should I upgrade for recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Jackson guitar should I upgrade for recording?

Hello, I am brand new here. I have played guitar for years but just got back into it recently. I am looking to get some new pickups for one of my Jacksons but not sure which one. This guitar will be used 100% for recording. My style is progressive rock with a touch of metal with some softer stuff now and then. I don't divebomb at all and if I do change tunings, it is drop D. I will be running through an old Crate head and two marshal/Marshal knock off 4X12 cabs with a large condenser mic and sm-57. That being said, here are my two guitars I am considering...

Flying V: I "think" this is a KVX10 with a string through tune o matic (serial is 9724995) 1 volume, 1 tone knob and 3 way toggle.

or

Kelly: I again, "think" this is a KE3 with a Floyd rose tremolo (serial is 9709766) 1 volume knob and 3 way toggle

I have heard many people say that string throughs are better for sustain but the FRs are better for staying in tune. The neck on the V kind of feels faster and the frets are less intrusive but it's a pain to play unless I am sitting on a stool. The Kelly has the tone knob which would be more versatile but it is usually cranked all the way up anyways. They both have the stock seymour duncan pickups and sound similar plugged in. One may have an alder body but I am not sure. I think both are Japanese made mid range guitars but I don't know if I am comparing apples to oranges here. So does anyone have any suggestions on which guitar to upgrade and which pick ups would be good for recording and my style? Thanks in advance!

The KE3 has real Duncans while the KVX10 has "Duncan Designed", so I'd upgrade the KVX10.

Comment

The model numbers should be stamped on the neck heel. Remove the necks and see what they say.

It's been my experience that Jackson tuneomatics have intonation issues, though I may have just found the oddballs. There's been quite a few of them, however, which is beyond coincidental.

Both should have the JB and Jazz, IIRC.

The JB is good for more than metal, and the Jazz is good for more than jazz.

I'd recommend a Gibson 498T for the bridge of the Kelly, based on one I had some years ago. It had a great punchy rhythm tone. Very tight-sounding.

I'd also suggest looking into the Custom, Custom5, and Custom Custom for either axe.

Alternatively, you could set up one guitar for dual EMG 85s or 89s with push-pulls to split both. The 85s will cover most bases without being too over-powered or under-powered, and the 89s will give you the widest range of available tones. As well, EMGs will pick up more string frequencies with minimal coloration, and allow you to reshape the tone more easily in post-production.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! If I decided to go active emgs, would I have to do a lot of routing and work to make them fit? Also, being that I like the neck better on the KE3, would it be a horrible idea to swap necks or are they not made to do that? Lots of good reviews on the Gibson 498Ts hmmmm....

Comment

As long as both necks have the same number of frets, you can swap them easily. I've done countless neck-swaps over the years and IMO each time I found a better neck than what the guitars came with.

However, with the KE neck being Floyded, you might want to look into a non-locking replacement nut. I forget who makes them, but they get good reviews.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

uggg.... I almost feel like just saving up and getting a KEXMG since it has the 81/85 emgs with a floyd rose (not to mention the silverburst looks way awesome!) but some of the reviewers are claiming that the KE3s are better. It also seems that I am one of the few people out there that doesn't like the jumbo frets as much.:dunno: Both the Kelly and V that I own have the words "Duncan Designed" on the pickups so either one could do with an upgrade. I hate parting with guitars but I really don't have room for another guitar. I'm going to have to think on this one awhile it seems.

Comment

If the KE3 was made in Japan, you're going to hear that a lot. Whether it's true or not is another story. My Indonesian KVXMG is a much better player than the KVX10D or KV3 I had. As well, it's got the "must have" features of a KV - neckthrough and ebony board with fins.

Comment

please do not buy gear on the because I read this is better then that or what ever. It is best to purchase what you like not what some one else does. there are no rules in making music!!! if you like it and it feels good to you that is what to do. I have spent a ton of money on gear that others said were great, and after buying I was not seeing it! find a way to demo the stuff!!!! it is so easy these days with the internet to find gear in stores in the area or gear with a return period or some one near you with that gear. maybe even a member of this forum is near you with similar tastes!! good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  If the KE3 was made in Japan, you're going to hear that a lot. Whether it's true or not is another story. My Indonesian KVXMG is a much better player than the KVX10D or KV3 I had. As well, it's got the "must have" features of a KV - neckthrough and ebony board with fins.
                  Didn't the X series had a rosewood fretboard?

Comment

Let me ask you this.

What is it about the sound of each one now that you don't like? What difference are you looking for? If you haven't already, you should try recording some stuff with both of them right now to see how they sound with all the other instruments. I've known too many guys that picked their gear, pickups etc. all while playing the guitar at home and got it sounding awesome. But when they went in to record or played a live show the guitar didn't sit in the mix well at all.

One of the guys I know that plays for a metal band that I run sound for once in a while hated the midrange bump his pickups had. H would sit at home and try to eq it out on his preamp. The guitar didn't sound that great all by itself. However, I talked him into not massing with it until we did a gig. Once he was playing with the entire band that midrange bump made that guitar sit perfect in the mix. Not too loud but you could clearly here every note and chord. All by itself it sounded not so great, but in the context of a band it sounded awesome.

Just some food for thought.

And just for some added info, the guitar he had was a Squire Strat that had a Duncan JB in the bridge. That cheap guitar played like butter with a fret level and a good setup.
                    Last edited by AdRock; 06-28-2015, 06:47 PM.
                    My Toys:
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                    '94 Dinky HX in Black
                    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Very good points... I can get all my guitars to sound pretty good in the mix or live but part of it is that I'm just not "in love" with either of the two Jacksons. The Ke3 I got used and it just doesn't feel like I broke it in if that makes any sense. Kind of like driving in someone elses car where the seat dips in all the wrong places and the radio stations are all country. LOL. It has some rust in some of the screws and it's worn weird and it just feels like an adopted kid that I am fond of but it just isn't my baby. I dig the dark red crimson swirl paint but it feels more like a practice guitar to fiddle with.

The V plays fast to me but I really wish I would have gotten the floyd rose. It seems like strings break more often and it doesn't stay in tune as good. I also own an oddball DKMGT with the emgs and the turbo boost knob and the reverse headstock and I just love the "ump" of the emgs even though they are not full time active. I feel like a metal God holding my KVX10 but it just lacks the Balls that I am expecting. For song writing while I am sitting, it is not nearly as comfortable as the Kelly. The V also feels so vulnerable with the thin wings and it seems kinda neck heavy so it's just kind of awkward sometimes.

I think I have convinced myself to try out a KEXMG. I like the Kelly shape and the Floyd rose system. I have played on EMG 81/85 set ups and they sound great.It seems like it is everything that I am looking for and I could put my own wear on it and have everything factory fresh. The price seems kinda steep for a mid range guitar but I want a good "go to" that I baby and keep in a case and also keep the others around for versatility. I can get over the Jumbo frets, maybe it's a mental thing since I am one of the few that favors smaller frets. I guess next time I am near a Guitar Center, I will have to demo one and then save up.

Comment

Originally posted by anarkhos View Post
                        Didn't the X series had a rosewood fretboard?
                        Couldn't tell you. I kinda lost track of the import line sometime around 2008, and when the Japan shop shut down, I completely ignored the imports. Got the V for what I felt was a bargain, and was pleasantly surprised with it. It might not be an X. I'd have to dig up my Ebay receipt to be sure, but it's the one with the dark grey sharkfin inlays. If the board's not ebony, it's a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          but it's the one with the dark grey sharkfin inlays.
                          Pro King Vs have the dark grey shark fins and ebony boards. Might be a pro.
                          2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
                          Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
                          Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
                          Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

Yeah, sounds like Newc may have a KVMG pro with the aluminoid inlays and ebony board?
                            Last edited by Mudlark; 07-01-2015, 12:13 AM.
                            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

If you like the active pickups try out the Duncan Blackout Preamp. If you want a fat sound that's hot as hell on the output put a Duncan BMP1 premp on with a Duncan JB in the bridge. It sounds awesome. I had that setup in my Elite Soloist and the sound was fat, clear, and the output was crazy hot. For metal it's a great setup.
                              My Toys:
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                              '94 Dinky HX in Black
                              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                              X