Need help choosing? Jackson or Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing? Jackson or Charvel

I have a chance to buy a 2006 Jackson DK2S HSS sustainer Pro Series MIJ mint with case for $400 or a 1987 Charvel Model 4 average condition no case for $375. Any thoughts? I like playing 80's rock, Dokken, Skid Row, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden ect... Thanks in advance for any advice.

love the dk2. 400 isn't bad if it is nice with a case. Both cool guitars tho for sure

Thanks paranoid
    Last edited by TKEblue; 06-17-2015, 08:57 PM.
    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

the model 4 if 1987 would be a JT-6 Bridge. I like the feel of the older guitars but with out seeing both and test driving them I would not want to tell you one way or the other! only you will know any ways! welcome to the forum. good luck on your purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
        love the dk2. 400 isn't bad if it is nice with a case. Both cool guitars tho for sure
        It's a beautiful guitar in transparent blue , black hardware and shark fin inlays with rosewood board, but I was wrong, it is the DK2 hss w/o sustainiac which I'm ok with.

Comment

Both are reasonable. I would probably go with the DK2 just because of the case.

Comment

I'd go DK2.
            The Charvel may have close to 30 years of fret wear. Just something to consider.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The guitars are different enough in terms of specs that you may be able to make the decision based on those differences. Model 4 is a full-size strat and has 22 frets. DK2 is 7/8 the size of a strat body and has 24 frets. Do you have a preference on body size & # of frets?

Model 4 has a top mounted trem, which means the string height off of the body and the neck tilt in relation to the body are more similar to a Les Paul than a Fender Strat. DK2 has a recessed trem, which gives it a more Strat-like string height and no neck tilt in relation to the body. Any preference there?

Model 4 uses 3 mini-toggles for switching vs. the more standard switching arrangement of the DK2. Some don't mind the mini-toggles, some hate it. Any preference there?

Comment

dg's points are right on. The only thing I would add is the neck profile. The DK2 has a thinner/flatter profile than the Model 4. Both are nice guitars but it might be best if you can try both out before you decide. BTW, what color is the Model 4?

Comment

It's black. I agree about neck feel as I prefer fender / ibanez neck over the fatter les Paul neck.

Comment

Were the 2006 DK2's a finished neck?
                    I kinda don't like the waxy feel on that necks of lot of these guitars.

But the other thing to consider is color.
                    The flamed top will eventually fade into the wood. Then you are just left with a blue guitar.

Comment

It's hard to pick out a guitar for another person for sure! If it were for me, I wouldn't hesitate for a second...the Model 4. My M4 is my favorite player, even over the ones I own that are generally considered superior. I bought my '87 M4 new and there's still plenty of life left in the frets. Make sure that the JE-1200 mid-boost is still functional.
                      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

The DK2S has 24 frets and the Sustainer which is good fun if not as good as the one on the PC1. If you wouldn't use the sustainer you could sell it for a few $$$ I'm sure.
                        Personally, I'd go with the DK2S for the sustainer and the 24 frets (I have one of those guitars and it's cool).

EDIT - oh, it's NOT a DK2S. Well, I'd still go for the 24 frets but that's just me. $400 seems quite pricey for a regular DK2 though? Does it even have real Seymour Duncans?
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X