Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In SoCal -- My 1986 Model 6 needs work, recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In SoCal -- My 1986 Model 6 needs work, recommendations?

Hi -

First time poster on the board. Super excited to see so many fellow Charvel/Jackson enthusiasts.

To the point ... my baby, a purple Charvel Model 6 that I bought new in 1986 with $1100 of hard-earned paper route money, needs some love. Specifically:
    1. Volume pot has gone to pot. Makes scratchy sound. Tried cleaning, no improvement. It's apparently integrated into the circuitry of the guitar. I'm not touching that.
    2. Lock nut is toast. No longer locks the top two strings.
    3. Floyd Rose tremolo. Original "plug-in" whammy bar was a poor design. Broke several back in the day. Recently installed a "screw-in" bar, but the sleeve holding the bar won't stay seated. Vibrato feels like the steering wheel of a U-haul truck -- too much play.

So, I'm looking for feedback and recommendations. DIY solutions are good. Also, a referral to a top guitar tech in SoCal would be much appreciated -- I'll likely need some help, particularly for #1.

Thank you,
    Jason aka "Eighties4Ever"

You didnt mention what part of SoCal, but if you are anywhere close to San Fernando Valley, I would highly recommend Eric's Guitar Shop.

i've had several friends have guitar work done, including one who had a complete fret job done on his 1991 USA Jackson Warrior Warbird for $210. The frets and fingerboard looked better than factory when he got it back. Eric does all types of repairs.

http://www.ericsguitarshop.com

Comment

I'd contact Lee at GMW Guitarworks in Glendora. He does great work and can handle anything you throw at him. And his setup work is the best I've played.

http://www.gmwguitars.com

Comment

I'm actually in OC, so Glendora is close and San Fernando is do-able as well. Thank you both for the heads up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eighties4Ever View Post
          Hi -

First time poster on the board. Super excited to see so many fellow Charvel/Jackson enthusiasts.

To the point ... my baby, a purple Charvel Model 6 that I bought new in 1986 with $1100 of hard-earned paper route money, needs some love. Specifically:
          1. Volume pot has gone to pot. Makes scratchy sound. Tried cleaning, no improvement. It's apparently integrated into the circuitry of the guitar. I'm not touching that.
          2. Lock nut is toast. No longer locks the top two strings.
          3. Floyd Rose tremolo. Original "plug-in" whammy bar was a poor design. Broke several back in the day. Recently installed a "screw-in" bar, but the sleeve holding the bar won't stay seated. Vibrato feels like the steering wheel of a U-haul truck -- too much play.

So, I'm looking for feedback and recommendations. DIY solutions are good. Also, a referral to a top guitar tech in SoCal would be much appreciated -- I'll likely need some help, particularly for #1.

Thank you,
          Jason aka "Eighties4Ever"
          1. Cleaning the volume pot is the DIY solution here. Try different brands of cleaners. Turn it back and forth, move the guitar around in different angles. If it can't be cleaned, then it will need to be unsoldered and a new one soldered in.
          2. Might be able to find parts on ebay to replace the worn parts.
          3. You can drop in a real OFR in there. I'm guessing you have a JT6 right now. It came with a plugin bar.

Good luck. I left OC in 1997. Too fricken crowded and too expensive.

Comment

Give Dan Lawrence at DRL Graphics / GMP Guitars a ring! He is in San Dimas CA and I trust Dan and Glen like no other. Awesome repair work and setups aside from world famous refin's and GMP builds too!

Dan was at Jackson in the very early days and is a master luthier!!

http://www.drlgrafx.com/index.html
            Last edited by vklobucar; 05-26-2015, 05:08 AM.

Comment

1. Try conctact cleaner that has some lubricant in it as mentioned before. That pot has lasted almost 30 years so if it has to be replaced no big deal.

2. Get new Kahler locking nut. They are cheap and direct replacement. No mods necessary. Heres one seller from ebay
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kahler-S...item4d2d9fabce

3. What kind of screw in bar? OFR or copy? How did the receiver fit in the hole? If it doesn't fit properly you need to use small round and remove some of the threads. Another choice is to get OFR collar type arm and install it. It may also need some filing for the receiver to fit properly.

Comment

1986 = Kahler trem, no?
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                  1986 = Kahler trem, no?
                  Yes, I'm confused about that too. Maybe a late 1986 model 6?

Comment

Thirteenth Street Guitars in Huntington Beach. Hugh and Tim are the best in Southern California.

Comment

all the 86's I have are Kahler I have model's 2, 3A, 4 (2x), 5, 6 all with tm logo head stock and tm logo tuners.

Comment

Eric's Guitar Shop in Van Nuys.
                        He does good stuff. I am not a local, nor am I there full time, so if I need something, I just go to the guy down the road.

Comment

I'd definitely recommend Eric's as well. I've never had the chance to get stuff set up from him, but his long list of clients speaks for itself.
                          I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                          ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                          Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                          Blackstar Soloist HT60
                          Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                          Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyApocalypse View Post
                            I'd definitely recommend Eric's as well. I've never had the chance to get stuff set up from him, but his long list of clients speaks for itself.
                            I do business in the area. So, unlike when I am home where I have my roots, I don't have the network of friends, family, and years of experience in the area.
                            I asked one of the guys who they use, they said Eric. That's good enough for me.
                            And it was a good choice -- for the little that I need when around.
                            I can't vouch for him if I was permanently in the area and needed everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X