Charvel Desolation™ DS-1 FR (Flat Black) Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Desolation™ DS-1 FR (Flat Black) Questions

Just picked up this beast but had a few questions I can't find the answers to online.

First and foremost, why was the flat black finish discontinued?

Second, I'm not a big fan of actives, has anyone installed Screaming Demons on one of these, and if so how does it compare?

Third, is the body routed out? I can't tell why it's so f******* light, my LP weights easily 3 times as much and there isn't that much of a size difference

Last but not least, I threw it through a 5150 and it sounded sweat, what heads are you guys using with this mingham? I'm thinking of trying out some Orange heads/Cab combos to see the difference. I don't think it paired as well with the 5150 as my previous beast slayed.

Cheers,

#1 - Demand
    #2 - no experience with them, sorry
    #3 - The charvel will probably be lower grade mahogany (Nato or similar) and has no maple top
    #4 - Before blaming the amp, check your battery, wiring, cables, tubes, try a different cab, I would think those blackouts are more than up to the job, the 5150 certainly should be
    Last edited by Nightbat; 08-09-2014, 06:37 AM.
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Cheers, appreciate the response.

Really happy with this guitar, I don't know why everyone complains about upper fret access on it. I was having a blast with how fast the action is on this neck all the way up and down. The sustain is absolutely incredible.

You're right, I should check the battery and perhaps a few other things (my effects chain for example).

I think I'm in love , strange though that the black finish wouldn't of had the same demand as the white. However I suppose the white does pop a little more on stage. The black makes it look really small from a few feet away and I suppose could make a larger guy like myself seem like they're playing a parlor guitar on stage .

Comment

1. Are you sure it was discontinued. There seems to be a lot of things missing from the Charvel site.
        3. IF it is a DS1 (because I have seen a lot of 2's and 3's being sold as 1's), they are neck thru. They are not chambered. Its a very light wood. But also, the body is a lot smaller than your LP which will affect the weight. Even the neck -- you can just feel it in your hands, its very light. Tap on the neck, it almost sounds hollow.
        4. I am ampless with this. I use an HD500.

I think half of the complaints is based on the fact that they are made in China. We're snobs like that. I like mine, other than how small the body is. It will NEVER replace any of my main guitars, but it is nice to keep around. I do not like to say that I own a Charvel when referring to these. They are nothing like Charvel/Jackson guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          1. Are you sure it was discontinued. There seems to be a lot of things missing from the Charvel site.
          3. IF it is a DS1 (because I have seen a lot of 2's and 3's being sold as 1's), they are neck thru. They are not chambered. Its a very light wood. But also, the body is a lot smaller than your LP which will affect the weight. Even the neck -- you can just feel it in your hands, its very light. Tap on the neck, it almost sounds hollow.
          4. I am ampless with this. I use an HD500.

I think half of the complaints is based on the fact that they are made in China. We're snobs like that. I like mine, other than how small the body is. It will NEVER replace any of my main guitars, but it is nice to keep around. I do not like to say that I own a Charvel when referring to these. They are nothing like Charvel/Jackson guitars.
          It is in fact a DS1, there is no doubt about that. Serial number checks out and everything.

Yes, it is very light, tapping sounds almost hollow indeed.

I see no problem with this guitar replacing my main guitars, I play bass primarily now (simply because I got in with a good band on bass) and I noticed that my Warwick with Actives sounds 100000000% better than my Fender Jazz. The Actives totally make everything else null in my opinion, might as well be made of plastic as the Mahogany doesn't really effect the sound at all. I'm happy with it, and the only guitar I would prefer over it is my old 77 SG custom that got lifted from my old jam space. Other than that, it outperforms everything else I have played in my 20 years of gigging. At least, thus far. If the body was bigger with more solid wood I would maybe install some passive's to see how the tonewoods reacted but I think actives are best in this rig on further thought.
          Last edited by cmac84; 08-08-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Also, I spoke with customer service and they discontinued all colors for the DS1 except for white.

Comment

I had a DX-1 in flat black. It was very light as well... Chinese Mahogany... I forgot what the real name is. Sounded decent, played great but there were tons of little flaws everywhere. I did a review here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/132...ack-MIC-review
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
              X