KVPro pickup opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVPro pickup opinion

Ok guys, I have one guitar still in the shop from the flood and the only holdup is pickups. It is my Black KVPro Mustaine. I had Mustaine livewires in it that still worked, but they are corroded beyond cleaning up so after talking it over with Audrich (tech at the shop) I'm switching back to passive. All my other guitars are JB/Jazz with 1 Dimebucker/Jazz and the chibson has Slash Alnicos. I don't play with effects and play thru a 3 channel all tube amp, so the change in output was always an issue when trying to keep the tone/level consistant.

I was thinking of going with a zebra set of Duncans JB/59 for a bit of a different clean tone in the neck position. Thing is, I do want this guitar to sould a little different but I don't know too much about any passive pickups aside from Seymour Duncans so what else out there in zebra would be like a JB but maybe a tiny less shrill and what neck pickup would be most like a 59?
    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

I dunno about you bro, but I'd do the Megadeth thing and stick a Bill Lawrence in the neck and a JB in the bridge.
    But s'all good either way!

Comment

Can't go wrong with either a Jazz or '59 in the neck. How about a '59/Custom Hybrid for the bridge?
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...h16_59_custom/
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My favorite combo by far is SH-4 (or TB-4) Custom bridge and '59 neck. And that is in poplar and mahogany guitars. Plus you could do an easy magnet swap without any wiring to change it up a bit (Custom, Custom5, Custom Custom, Custom8)..
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

So, I ended up going with a Zebra set. Creature of habit I went with the JB in the bridge but opted for the 4 wire '59 for the neck which I'm going to coil tap. Hopefully I'll have the guitar back tomorrow....fingers crossed.
          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Congrats on saving that one! I am sure you will dig your choice. I have, and had several of those, and have tried many different configurations. I came to the same conclusion as you, I don't like the actives in my V's. Actually I have lost my liking of actives all together. If you ever get a chance, try a BKP in there. I LOVE the Miracle Man set in mine. Gives it more punch than traditional passives, and fantastic creamy sustain. To my ears, they have all the benefits that you look for in a active set, but the added warmth or organic feel that you'll never get. They are just stellar! I know they are pricey, but after you've gone through a couple of sets of others, you're right there.
            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
            X