Is Jackson next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jackson next?

Fender closed and ceased all production of Ovation USA built guitars today. They closed the New Hartford, Connecticut plant, and will only be building them in China, South Korea, and Indonesia. Which they already are. Sound familiar? Seriously, how long before they kill the USA Jackson production line, and before you jump and react with your heart and not your head. Think, money is Fenders bottom line. Is Jackson so different than Ovation?
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
    Fender closed and ceased all production of Ovation USA built guitars today. They closed the New Hartford, Connecticut plant, and will only be building them in China, South Korea, and Indonesia. Which they already are. Sound familiar? Seriously, how long before they kill the USA Jackson production line, and before you jump and react with your heart and not your head. Think, money is Fenders bottom line. Is Jackson so different than Ovation?
    Wow, that truly sucks. I've actually been in the Ovation factory--West Hartford, though, I think?--at the same time they shared
    a building with Hamer. How's that for coincidence? Funny thing is, I've been in the Martin factory too, and I think there was more
    hand work going on in the Ovation plant. Very small operation at the time, as was Hamer. I think there were maybe 10 guys
    working at Hamer. So, it's sure not to save payroll. And yah, I think you're dead on, in the eyes of Fender, Jackson is no different
    than Ovation--or Hamer--for that matter. But sad to say, I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who buy an all-import Jackson
    line. A sad day for all of us...

Comment

You may be right about the West Hartford part, but yeah it sucks. Everyone out of a job, and why? Sales down? Maybe because they diluted the market with all of the imports.
      "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

People are still buying Jacksons and they can keep those same builders making usa charvels and usa EVHs. I think those guitar brands were in much worse shape the J/C. I think the end game on buying hamer/ovation(I think those where under the Kaman umbrella) was to get the overseas distribution for the charvel desolations and the newer Jacksons, and the EVH wolfgang that are MIC.

Comment

As a devotee to the Hamer line, I've been aware of this issue since 2012. FMIC shut down the Hamer USA portion in Dec. of 2012 but the crew there in New Hartford was still permitted to finish the last custom orders that were placed before the shut down occurred. FMIC got Hamer with their purchase of Kaman, for the sole purpose of acquiring Kaman's distribution network. Hamer was already hemorrhaging money as their ill-considered marketing and business plans had relegated the venerable brand to near obscurity. It was really only a matter of time before FMIC shut it down. They let the Hamer crew stay around and build Ovations, Guild and Fender acoustics as well as finish the Hamer orders on their "free"time. But keeping that shop open was too costly and the market isn't supporting the production of high end acoustics. So, to answer your question- I highly doubt FMIC will do the same for J/C. J/C right now is still reasonably strong. Their USA pro mods, Select and CS are, AFAIK, still selling okay. As long as J/C still turns a profit, FMIC will likely let them continue.

Comment

The question is not whether or not people are still buying Jackson's. I am sure they were still buying Jackson's. The question is profitability. Fender is clearly making choices on where to make the least costly product, regardless of history or tradition. They could have easily downsized that facility and kept a smaller workforce. Their decision was to shut down the entire building and keep the name going oversees. Clearly they must still be selling import Ovations, and you know they are selling import Jackson's. It also seems they aren't doing anything to expand the USA production. At least the custom shop. So... I don't think it's a stretch to think that Fender has a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
              as long as j/c still turns a profit, fmic will likely let them continue.

this!!

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                It also seems they aren't doing anything to expand the USA production. At least the custom shop. So... I don't think it's a stretch to think that Fender has a plan.
                from what I remember, Akai never really did anything to expand USA production. They may have added some new machines, but as far as models and color choices, there wasn't much there. I have been following this crap with Jackson since 1999. I was hardcore into the brand, and at one point exclusively owned ONLY USA jacksons in my arsenal. personally, I preferred the AKAI era because I could get a killer guitar for peanuts. I understand that FMIC had to raise the prices because of production costs, etc. but to have the guitars slowly double in price while losing color/graphic options over the years since FMIC has taken over has put it to where Jackson is one of the LAST options I consider when buying a new guitar.

now, having said that, I DO believe that the guitars made under FMIC management are very high quality and worth the money. but, for me - who remembers buying a black ghost flame SL2H with case, brand new, for $1399.00 - buying the same guitar for anywhere between $2200 and $2400 is not something I am willing to invest in. even my beloved solar PC-1 was $1599.00 BRAND NEW. the top looks better, the fretboard is better, and the finish is better than what is offered on the same guitar that sells for $2999.00 today.

I am a firm believer that FMIC isn't going to kill J/C any time soon. I think Hamer was a sad causality of a corporate purchase that was more about securing distribution networks more-so than grabbing more "brands". FMIC owns A LOT of brand names. there are a lot of those than they could effectively dump before J/C in my opinion.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Turning a profit with USA production won't be the single deciding factor, because it can still be more profitable to do it somewhere else and that's the bottom line of FMIC or pretty much any for-profit company, not to cater to some die hards that lust after the glory days of the early Jackson period. They may still make a profit here, but if they can double it elsewhere.....?

While "Made in USA" is a big selling point for some, me included, and I doubt the USA Jackson shop guys relocate to India LOL, I'm sure they crunch their numbers and project lost sales versus future sales and economy of scale, etc.
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

If they did dump J/C someone would pick it up and keep making them.
                    Be nice in a way to have it be a small USA custom shop company again.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I think maybe some of you misinterpreted what I am saying. I am not saying killing J/C, far from it. They didn't kill Ovation. They just killed Ovations made in the USA. That's what I am suggesting as a possibility for Jackson. They opened up production for Ovation in 3 different countries. Got them running, and when they decided they didn't need the USA facility anymore...done! What have they done with Jackson and Charvel in the past few years? Same sort of thing. Don't think just because they turn a profit with J/C they won't do it, think that is EXACTLY why they would do it.

Comment

personally, with the custom select line and the master-built customs i could see FMIC shutting down the USA production line. it makes sense. why order (and sometimes wait) for a compromised USA guitar when you can order one of two different level of "custom" guitars? seems a bit like taking Jackson BACK to its roots, while moving run of the mill production guitars to import status for the player that isn't as "hard core".

with fender already allowing customers to do semi-custom instruments, which can be purchased direct, maybe they will move in the same direction for the custom select Jackson guitars. in all, i can see the changes that seem to be happening as a good thing. lately i see a lot more posts about people receiving/ordering a custom select than people sharing their recently purchased USA select....
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I don't know, I see a lot of movement in the Jackson import world with Pro, MG, XT, Elite, JS and import signature models.....but be damned if they make even 1 trans finish USA Rhoads....they do not. The RR1T is extremely difficult to find anywhere and turn around times for a stock USA model are beyond ridiculous not to mention semi and custom wait times. While the quality under FMIC's watch has bee very good....selections are dwindling. Not everyone wants a black or white guitar. I'm willing to pay top dollar for top quality but it doesn't mean I'm going to wait 2 years. The price increases (don't shoot me for saying this) were 100% necessary for the USA's and USA Customs as I'm sure they lost money on a lot of those builds, but the lack of options may be quite telling.......
                          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
                            this!!
                            Without making this a 'political' issue...
                            How much longer do you think that profitability will remain:
                            1. when it takes them 3 years to build a guitar,
                            2. health insurance requirements.
                            3. governments wanting to double minimum wage. probably doesn't effect a master builder, but it does effect the pencil pushing office worker and janitors on the cleanup crews.

Comment

here we go again with the political non political comments. first office workers don't make min wage neither does the janitor and I'm sure they are on Fender's payroll, the J/C, EVH guys don't need their own people I'm sure to sweep the floor and file. If a person has been full time they have health insurance and give me a fucking break that it's going to cost so much more. There is 5% tax that has been added. rates go up guess what some people will have to pay more.

Comment

Working...
                              X