Loose Truss-Rod Woes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Truss-Rod Woes!!

Nearly bought three killer Jacksons recently....a 90s Custom - a 2000s Custom Shop - & a recent USA Select....passed on all three for the same issue....necks were too straight/slightly back-bowed & their truss-rods were loose....the fuck??

The search for a killer Jackson w/a FAT neck continues!!

Damn, I just picked up 2 com the 80's. 1 was a road dog until the late 80s the other spent its life as a wall hanger. Guy used them to decorate his walls, I shit u not. Neither had been touched in 10yrs so he claimed but they looked it and both necks were fine. The bolt on needed an 1/8 of a turn, the NT nothing.
    Where are you finding them, where they in a non climate controlled storage at sometime? Sucks.

Comment

Found one local & the other two found online from two different dealers....all three were in 8/10 condition too....sux indeed!!

Comment

Yeah, that issue can be a pain. Makes ya wonder if they are cutting fret slots too narrow for the frets they are using (unintended compression fretting).

BTW, I thought they switched to using two-way truss rods a few years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          Yeah, that issue can be a pain. Makes ya wonder if they are cutting fret slots too narrow for the frets they are using (unintended compression fretting).

BTW, I thought they switched to using two-way truss rods a few years ago?
          Back bow from compression fretting is more common when frets are hammered in vs pressed. I can't imagine that they're hammering frets in. I'm also really surprised that they didn't use dual action rods back in the day.

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            Back bow from compression fretting is more common when frets are hammered in vs pressed. I can't imagine that they're hammering frets in. I'm also really surprised that they didn't use dual action rods back in the day.

Sully
            I wonder what the cause is, then? My Soloist had this problem too. Thankfully, a luthier was able to steam the neck and bring in some extra relief. It was made around 2002 and has a single action truss rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
              I thought they switched to using two-way truss rods a few years ago?

They did indeed....unfortunately that USA Select was not THAT "recent" !!

Comment

Chuck! Darn glad to see you.

I think the dual action truss rods have been in use for quite some time...like in decades! Do I have that wrong?
                www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I've got 2 that had that problem. My luthier also was able to steam the necks and get a little relief. That only works if they are very on the edge. If they need significant adjustment, steaming won't do it. Beyond that, it's pull the fingerboard and plane the neck.

Comment

That sucks big time. I go straight to the replane/refret on that issue. I've never seen a 2-way truss on a 80's model (no clue about the later stuff).

Comment

I'm a little confused.

Is a 2-way truss rod different than a double expanding one? I thought they were one and the same, but maybe I'm wrong.

This Charvel ad I attached below (if it shows up) is from 1988 with a 3DR describing a double expanding neck rod.
                      If there are the same, does that mean that the Japanese made J/Cs had these well before the American counterparts?

Also, I’d like to pin down a year on when the change happened.
                      Attached Files
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
                        Chuck! Darn glad to see you.

I think the dual action truss rods have been in use for quite some time...like in decades! Do I have that wrong?
                        It's for sure been a while. I know Ernie Ball Music Man's been using them for a long
                        time, going back to at least when they were making Eddie's sig. model. Probably
                        before that. I know Stew-Mac was selling them at least 15 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                          I'm a little confused.

Is a 2-way truss rod different than a double expanding one? I thought they were one and the same, but maybe I'm wrong.
                          That's what I thought, as well. I'm also confused.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Assuming our terminology is consistent 2-way is the same as double expanding with the "2 way" and "double" referring to pressure placed on both sides of the neck. When the rod is tightened the bar bows putting placing on the middle of the neck and the ends of the rod anchoring (and placing pressure) on each end. Old style rods are just a single rod without the bow.

I believe old style single rods and double actions are installed slightly differently, as well.
                            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Good resource! Thanks Google. http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/necks/trussrods.aspx
                              Last edited by slo100; 04-11-2014, 11:55 AM.
                              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X