Current Jackson Pro Series Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Jackson Pro Series Quality

I spend a lot of time over on sevenstring.org, and being a Jackson fan that usually makes me a minority around those parts . However, I was wondering what you guys here think of the new pro series. I've been really happy with my SL2Q, and I have a friend looking at them as well. However, I've seen a few people with some non-trivial QC issues on them. Mine is flawless (or at least it was before I chipped the finish taking off the back plate and lost two of the screws!).

One person over on SS.org returned an SL2 because the frets had cracked the binding, and his replacement had exactly the same issue. Whereas, I've seen several SL2s and none had this issue.

I've heard numerous people complain about sharp fret ends on the MIM Dinkys. I don't really consider this a flaw because nearly every guitar you check out at a store has sharp fret ends and you can fix this in about 15 minutes.

So, to get to the point. Does anyone here have experience with these? I want to give my friend honest advice based on more than just my experience, which has been good.

I've played a few right handed models and they're pretty nice for the price tag I'd say. Your advice is honest as long as you don't lie about your experiences. If you've had no issues you can't tell someone otherwise. I have had a lot of issues with Gibson guitars since 93 but just about everybody else I talk to loves them. I personally think most of them are over priced junk but to each their own. I have played a few pro series Rhoads models and a King V and I thought they were great for the price. Mind you they were right handed but they still played well and sounded pretty good in my opinion.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

There are so many great MIJ guitars why wouldn't you look there?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        There are so many great MIJ guitars why wouldn't you look there?
        My buddy really digs the no pickup rings and oiled neck on my SL2Q, which are options that were never available on the old MIJ pro series. Not to mention the finishes, which have more variety as well.

Comment

I fuggin love my SL2 Pro! Rough going at first, bit of trouble with one of the Floyd studs, got new parts from Jackson and its better than new.

No issues so far .. I live in an apartment in shanghai with no heater, it’s gone from 0c – 35c / 25% to 99% humidity and the neck hasn’t moved a bit thanks to the graphite rods.

I would recommend the guitar under the follow circumstances.
          A, try it before you buy it, do a good inspection
          B, drive a hard bargain, as at retail it’s a bit expensive for an indo

I play mine every day, It’s a shred machine!

Last edited by LaoWai; 03-20-2014, 09:08 PM.
          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

LaoWai,

That's been my experience as well. I had a stripped locking nut which required replacement after setting it up. However, that to me seemed like a freak thing to happen. More to do with the declining quality of Floyd Rose parts than anything on Jackson's end since nobody would've known that it was detheading until taking the locking nut pad off and on a few times. However, since getting this straightened out the neck has been rock solid and it plays great aside from some buzzing at the first fret on the lowest string, which I could have fixed but I don't think it's really worth the time or expense at the moment.

I've heard it compared to the Ibanez Premium line. Not just in looks, but in quality. Meaning they are a mixed bag on good, great, and awful. I heard from the local Jackson dealer that the guy who set up production of the new pro series was originally from Ibanez, no idea if that's true.

Comment

This is something I've been interested to know as well. I really like the new pro models, I like the features, I like the way they look. But there's nowhere near me where I might be able to try any of them. Heck, seems like the models I like best are out of stock just about everywhere in the country. So if I want to pick up one (or more) I'd probably end up ordering online and I suppose I'd like to know how likely I am to get one with problems. And generally how the quality is, how they play etc. I'd hate to get up my hopes for a cool new guitar and then get one that was disappointing or I needed to send back.

I fancy the maple fretboard DKs to go with my two Japanese DK2Ms and expand my maple dinky collection, and I like some of the other models enough to put up with the fact that their fretboards are the wrong wood.

Interesting that they're compared to the Ibanez Premiums, because I've got my eye on an Ibby Premium bass as well. Think I've managed to convince myself to practice bass more before I go and buy another one though.
              I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

The Ibanez Premium line is pretty nice but I like the Prestige line better. Just my opinion though.
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I picked up a KVMG Pro recently and I have to say it's a quality guitar. Not "a quality guitar for the money" as that usually indicates it's got problems, but it's a quality guitar, period.

I had a USA KV-2 a couple of years ago, and if you're comparing build quality and end-results alone, the KVMG Pro is equal to the KV-2.
                  I'm sure there's probably an issue with consistency of quality - maybe I got "the one good one" out of 100 or 1000 - but I just spent 3 whole days with this guitar and I can't find anything about it that would make me not like it.

However, that's not comparing specs to specs - the USA wins that fight because of what you get for what you spend - German Floyd with a proven history of quality, quartersawn neck of assuredly a higher-quality maple, better grade of body wood, etc.

But if you're comparing the end-results alone - a black neckthrough King V with 24 frets, a double-locking trem, 2 humbuckers, a black fretboard, binding on the head and neck, sharkfin inlays, and being able to drop the strings to the board for effortless shredding without a bunch of plinky noises and fret-outs - the KVMG Pro and USA KV-2 are equal.

Aside from my short-scale Matsumoku-era Vantage FV575, short-scale Jackson KV2T, and the KV-3 I had some years ago, this is the only other V I've been able to get along with. The neck of the KV-2 was uncomfortable for me, as were the 4 Gibson Vs I've owned (two mid-80s and 2 Fadeds). The KVX10D BGF I had a few years ago would have been so much better with a Floyd, even though it had a rosewood board.

I'm seeing the KVMG Pro listed online (Ebay mostly) from stores asking $1000. Frankly, that's way too high for a guitar without a hardshell case IMO. I'm seeing the majority of listings in the $700-$800 range, however, and even though mine was less than $500 (due to it needing a minor headstock repair), I'd say $750 new without a hardshell case was the absolute top end (though I'd push for the case to be included), and that's got more to do with it not being made in Japan; The Indonesians have yet to prove themselves in the arena of quality guitars for the American market, so I still have reservations about the pricing.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I personally love the "Speed Neck" profile on the USA KV2. Hands down my favorite neck profile of all time with the Original Ibanez Wizard being a close second.

Comment

Personally, the new Pro Series for more is hit or miss. I've played a few great ones and a few shitty ones, but for the most part they're not bad. As Newc said, the Indonesians still have to prove themselves in terms of quality. If you want one, I'd say grab one of the higher MG's or one of the new DK2Ms.
                      I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                      ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                      Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                      Blackstar Soloist HT60
                      Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                      Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Yeah, I guess this is kind of irrelevant now. The friend in question is going to buy my SL2Q, which I know plays great, when I order my custom select SL2H. Everyone wins!

Comment

Working...
                        X