Charvel body or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel body or not?

I picked this one up this week under the premise that it was a Charvel Model 2 body. I'm not really that concerned if it is or not as it is a great piece. But, if anyone can confirm that would be cool, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2452337
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2452338
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Well. the volume knob has been relocated if its a model 2 body. Also, my model 2, which is a newer jt6 model, has a recessed trem cover too. My 86 kahlered model 2 does not. Those floyd post holes look small for jt6 posts and far apart for kahler posts. If it is a model 2 body, its been worked before it was repainted. Hows the neck pocket fit? Probably an 86 kahler body thats been redrilled for floyd and volume pot moved before being repainted.

Comment

See if you can remove some paint in the neck pocket and see what marks are there.
      Not sure whats with the screw holes on the back. Would be an odd looking trem cover judging by the screw holes.
      Vol knob hole has been moved.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

its not a model series, its either an odd USA or aftermarket. the electronics cover shelf for an import is not the same width all the way around the corners are thicker. it doesnt have a recessed trem cover,& has the smaller route ala SD era, but the contours do look a bit off, it could also be the angle of the pic.

Comment

86 model 2 for comparison. Very different.

Comment

i stand corrected, i thought model series had a recessed trem cover.

Comment

Some do and some dont. My 87-88 model 2 does and my 86 model 2 and model 1 dont. Model 1c does not, model 3a (jt6) does. Im not sure as to the rhyme or reason of it.

Comment

86 were not 87-88 did.Control cavity is different too.
                Front arm cut looks different to me but it might be the camera angle.
                Could be a Chandler or KnE thats why you need to remove some paint in the neck pocket.
                Last edited by straycat; 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

It looks like an 80's USA Kramer Baretta body. The pick-up and trem route look very close. So does the volume knob placement and the cavities on the back.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

KNE uses a different pup route and Chandlers control route has the uneven shelf for the electronics cover. the tummy cut looks more like a standard strats, than a CJ. how wide is the pocket? im thinking its a replica, as only an older body wouldnt have floyd bushing, and the contours are NOT correct for a pre bushing dimas era body.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      86 were not 87-88 did.Control cavity is different too.
                      Front arm cut looks different to me but it might be the camera angle.
                      Could be a Chandler or KnE thats why you need to remove some paint in the neck pocket.
                      I agree - the control route is not a Model series route. KNE is my guess too. Post what you find out - curious.

Comment

Neck pocket is 2 1/4. KNE may be right as the seller mentioned he has some of their bodies. He also sent some KNE stickers, too.
                        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Bet a model series control cover won't fit. Try and see if you have one handy.
                          I have never seen a Kramer body with that control route or belly cut.
                          KnE used stamped serial numbers inside the trem route so look there under the paint or with a strong light.
                          Last edited by straycat; 02-10-2014, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Based on the control cavity holes....looks like a KNE!!

Comment

KNE bodies have a different pickup route, there are so many people making guitar bodies it may be impossible to track down the actual brand.

Comment

Working...
                              X