Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To 1 Hum or Not 1 Hum - that is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To 1 Hum or Not 1 Hum - that is the question.

I bought another another Charvel today ('06 USA San Dimas) and it's configured with 1 hum as well as an OFR. I've been thinking about doing a Nagel-esque graphic on it but I'm not sure if I want to stick with the single hum or not.

I've got Charvels in HH and HS configurations and with the right pickups, I like either one as much as the other. I could configure this latest Charvel in HSS but I'd worry that would get in the way of the graphic. The same could be said for the HH config as well, but to a lesser degree. That leave either 1H or HS.

Part of me want to go classic and stick with 1H. That was how my very first Charvel was set-up and aside from a Kramer Baretta back in their hayday, I've not had a single hum guitar. Then again, I do like having a neck pickup when I want to get some bubbly tones and a single coil doesn't take up that much graphic real estate.

Chime in and see if you can sway me either way.

If this was your only guitar, then it would be a debate

Go single hum!!!

Comment

Yeah one hums are awesome!. I do miss that soloist but these make up for it.

Comment

I love 1 hums.... I have two CS orders, both are one hum!

edit: Here's one of my favorite 1-hum guitars!

Last edited by xenophobe; 04-28-2013, 05:07 AM.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

is that a legit esp? never seen that logo.....

Comment

Yep. It's a 2008 CS piece with a COA.

I also have a CS ESP Flying V with the same logo on the truss cover here:
            http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/132...Korina-bitches!

Last edited by xenophobe; 04-28-2013, 06:51 AM.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I love 1-hum guitars. It`s really all I need. Harder to find in a stock guitar. Mostly have to order something custom. They are all great looking guitars right there

Comment

I love the look of a single hum and have a fair few of them. And obviously the single hum 'distorts' any graphic much less than multiple pickups. However, I have to say that I'm finding that I play them less and less as I want to use a neck pickup..
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  I love the look of a single hum and have a fair few of them. And obviously the single hum 'distorts' any graphic much less than multiple pickups. However, I have to say that I'm finding that I play them less and less as I want to use a neck pickup..
                  That's my main concern. I like using the neck pickup for that bubbly smooth tone. A single coil in the neck doesn't take up a lot of room and I can get the sound I want from one, assuming it's a side-by-side humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                    This is a good point. I have the stuff to make a Vivian Campbell Skulls Charvel but the body is dual hums. Still trying to decide if I want to fill the neck hum or not.

Comment

Admittedly the raw simplicity of a single humbucker and long volume control is attractive in a bare bones sense - how many different tones can I coax from a single pickup? While it may be true that one can get a lot of variety of such a minimal setup the fact is a bridge pickup is never to sound and react the same as a neck pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                        Admittedly the raw simplicity of a single humbucker and long volume control is attractive in a bare bones sense - how many different tones can I coax from a single pickup? While it may be true that one can get a lot of variety of such a minimal setup the fact is a bridge pickup is never to sound and react the same as a neck pickup.
                        Matt, you could always do a push/pull pot and use it to coil split for some additional flexibility...I've done this in a couple of mine.

Just a suggestion, but I wouldn't change a single hum ever!! But that's just me :-)
                        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
                          Matt, you could always do a push/pull pot and use it to coil split for some additional flexibility...I've done this in a couple of mine.

Just a suggestion, but I wouldn't change a single hum ever!! But that's just me :-)
                          Hey Curt. I'd thought about doing something with the coils (turn one off, run them in parallel) but the option has to be hum-cancelling so that leaves me with running them in parallel which is hit or miss, depending upon the pickup.

I've already changed two 1H guitars to dual hum so what's another one.

Comment

Is it a HH or HS you want matt.
                            Haters gonna hate
                            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

For this guitar I'm either going with 1H or HS. If the later then I'll just have the body routed for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X