Tony Bacon book on Jackson/Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Bacon book on Jackson/Charvel?

Was searching around internet and came across this.

------------
    http://www.amazon.com/Superstrat-Jac.../dp/1617131008

Superstrat: Jackson, Charvel, and the Birth of the '80s Rock Guitar [Paperback]
    Tony Bacon (Author)

This is the story of a guitar born of frustration with instruments available in the late '70s and early '80s: some guitarists wanted a Fender-style electric, but with more powerful pickups, a vibrato system that could survive punishing use, and often, a thinner, flatter neck. The result was the superstrat, suited to the intense demands of the extreme-rock players of the day. Superstrat centers on two interrelated stories. One is the new style personified by Eddie Van Halen, who teamed up with Kramer for a line of superstrat-flavored instruments and with Floyd Rose for a new kind of vibrato system. The other concerns Charvel's Jackson guitars, which, along with such key brands as Dean and Ibanez, defined much of the style of the superstrat instruments. Jackson provided players with improved access to the highest of the superstrat's 24 frets, thanks to a through-neck and deeper cutaways, and offered some out-of-this-world graphic finishes that vied with the music for shock value and sheer flash. This book, the first to cover the superstrat, features interviews with the leading guitar-makers and musicians who pioneered the instruments, and a plethora of images, along with a reference section detailing important superstrat brands.
    ------------

Might be interesting. I am not really into "vintage guitar" books all that much, anyone recognize this Tony Bacon guy?
    '94 Grover Jackson Soloist Standard (EMG60/81)
    '94 Grover Jackson Soloist Custom (J-50BC/50BC + JE-1200 midboost)
    '91 Grover Jackson Dinky AXE HSH (J-50BC/J-100XL/J-80C)
    late 90s Jackson Stars Soloist (Gibson '57 classic/J-80, Khaler trem)
    '87 Charvel Model3B (Jakcson P/Duncan Hot Jazz Stack + JE-2000 preamp)
    '87 Charvel Model2B Fretless (EMG PJ)
    late 90s Charvel EM-3B

I believe Tony wrote some of the best references on LP's ever.
    Maybe Fender also.

Henrik ought to write the book!
    He even has a pic of my 88 on his site.

Comment

Yeah as Cyg said..I have his LP book and it is very well written ..not to mention a ton of Pron in it as well

Comment

Would love to have this, but I couldn't find it available anywhere yet. Even the publisher Hal Leonard doesn't show it yet.

Comment

I have his "Ultimate Guitar Book" and it's excellent. Good mix of photos, history and explanation. I'm definitely interested in this new book

Comment

Originally posted by yoko5000 View Post
            Was searching around internet and came across this.

------------
            http://www.amazon.com/Superstrat-Jac.../dp/1617131008

Superstrat: Jackson, Charvel, and the Birth of the '80s Rock Guitar [Paperback]
            Tony Bacon (Author)

One is the new style personified by Eddie Van Halen, who teamed up with Kramer for a line of superstrat-flavored instruments and with Floyd Rose for a new kind of vibrato system.
            -----------------

As I understand it, EVH started out with Charvel-logoed necks and bodies he got from Lynn Elsworth, long before the Kramer deal, and Floyd Rose developed his tremolo for his own personal taste, with no input from Ed.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm totally into the book, just have to FIND a copy to buy...!!!
              I hope they really dig deep into Charvels too, and not just Jackson....

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                As I understand it, EVH started out with Charvel-logoed necks and bodies he got from Lynn Elsworth, long before the Kramer deal, and Floyd Rose developed his tremolo for his own personal taste, with no input from Ed.
                not a very encouraging start, is it? I wonder if it talks about how he teamed with Kramer to develop a guitar to facilitate this new two-handed tapping technique he invented
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Without mentioning the fact that Kramer modded his Strathead into a hockeystick? Surely not!
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X