help me narrow down my next guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me narrow down my next guitar

Hello was hoping you guys could give me some tips on what models would suit me.

I only have one Jackson its a performer (ps4). Obviously on the low end am looking for a nice Jackson.

Ive gotten accustomed to the original wizard neck but i like the big jumbo Jackson frets too.

I want it as thin or close to the wizard neck if possible. Just something super fast and easy to play with low action ect.

Have been considering an early 90's professional soloist because i hear its the thin neck but idk what else is out there in the $1000 or less price range.

What other models should i be considering

Do you care between neck through or bolt on? Dinkys have very thin bolt on necks, and would also be a bit cheaper than a soloist.

Comment

The early Stealth Pro's had thin necks and body. Unless you want a USA? The Stealth is MIJ.

Comment

Well I lied i actually have 2 Jacksons. The other is a dx10 dinky. I hate it so much i forgot i even had it. I played another dinky (not sure what model) and didn't like that either.

Are there any really nice dinkys? I hear dk2 is ok??

Im more of a strat guy so no kelly.but stealth looks cool.

Neck thru would be awesome as ive never had one but not mandatory.

Comment

Usa/mij isnt a huge factor. I hear the mij's are almost as nice and some prefer mij.

Comment

a pointy reissue strats from a few years back. killer guitars, great necks, and they are available around $700-900 if you can wait....some of them with graphics are a bit more.

Comment

DK2M...great necks and very versatile. Can be had for $300 - $400 depending on color and condition.
              "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
              ENGL Powerball II
              Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
              Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
              Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
              1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
              1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
              2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
              2011 Jackson DK2M Black
              1987 Charvel Model 2 White
              2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
              1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
              1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
              2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
              2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
              2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
              2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
              2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
              2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
              2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
              1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Point of clarification: the necks on older DK2s with the H-S-S layout were thinner than the DK2M neck. Haven't tried a recent DK2 with rosewood board, but I have experienced the DX10D and WRs with rosewood, and found them to have the same neck thickness as a DK2M, so I'm assuming that's the current neck profile for all import bolt-ons. The neck of a Dinky Reverse (commonly found with a Fleckstone finish and 2 hums direct-mounted) was maybe as thin as the older DK2, but felt a bit wider due to the rounded shoulders.

The thinnest production model Jackson neck was found on the JTX, and is thinner than the older DK2, very close to the Ibenhad Wizard neck.

Neck thickness has little to do with playability. Randy Rhoads was 4-foot-nothing with child-hands and shredded a baseball-bat Les Paul neck, as well as the Concorde, which had the same neck profile.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Neck thickness has little to do with playability. Randy Rhoads was 4-foot-nothing with child-hands and shredded a baseball-bat Les Paul neck, as well as the Concorde, which had the same neck profile.

True dat...
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Bleeding from black holes
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

its also worth mentioning that some of the dx10d's had horrible thick necks while most were thin. On the cheaper end I always liked the true dinky reverse and the dr3 was nice. newer dk's seem to have a slightly thicker yet comfortable neck compared to the PRO's and early professional series. Of course if you're not into reverse headstocks then my suggestions are worthless ha ha.

edit- the stealth is 22 frets if that makes any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Haven't tried a recent DK2 with rosewood board
                      Those can be hit an miss. Some can be fairly fat (my first Jackson was a mid-2000s DK2 and I never bonded because of the neck fatness). The fatness is in the shoulders sort of like an |___|

If the OP want's thin, does he want short scale also? Fusion necks are always very thin. My Model 6 necks are thin, but my Model 5FX adn 550XL necks are fat. My Model 4 neck is thin.

Comment

I have a DK1, DK2, and DK2M, and the DK1 is by far the thinnest neck of the three.
                        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Ideally id like 24 flat jumbo frets with 19mm at 12th fret. I don't mind 22 frets or 21mm but my dx10 is definitely too fat. I bought it used so this may not be true but the serial is 9703952 on bolt plate.

Also have a charvel mutt that has a very comfy (thin) neck but idk what model.

A nice charvel is definitely an option.

Was just thinking more along the lines of soloist quality but idk all the models out there.

Really appreciate the input, thanks again

Comment

Side note: my ps4 plays great but would like the neck to be a little thinner

Comment

I had a ps4 that had a neck that was as thin as the early 90's dinky rev(one of the thinnest, i think) but had another ps4 neck that was kinda thick so its hard to say if you would find a thinner neck. Of course im only goin by memory, but my old soloist pro neck didnt feel as thin as my dinky reverse. The soloist felt faster(maybe due to being neckthru) :dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X