Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to change stock pickups in JS1

Hey guys

Id love to change the pickups in my trusty JS1 guitar.Now i know some might not think its worth it but its a sentimental guitar to me and i love it.The stock pick ups are crap,so id love to know which pick ups i could put in.I cant afford too much,and have looked at some cheaper pick ups but hopefully you guys can advise,or maybe even have a spare set of better humbuckers to sell.This will be my first time ever changing pick ups aswell.

Thanks

Lee

Decent options are the trusty Duncan JB or Custom, Dimarzio Super Distortion or Tone Zone...you can find these for a resonable price on eBay or here on the forum.
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Apparently if you turn the stock pickup around, it sounds a lot better. I tried it in a Warrior but the wire wasn't long enough. Maybe try that out with yours.

Comment

I'd avoid the JB, it's probably just a nicer version of the pickup that is in your guitar.

What type of music do you play?
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I just ordered a second gravity storm (literally 5 minutes ago!) for my Jackson Fusion. To me, this is the best pick up I've tried in the bridge position for a long, long time. It seems I'm able to easily get tones I'm happy with these days with this pickup. Less tweaking and more shredding. I would recommend that all of you to check one out when you can. I'll likely be ordering a third my RR3....really great product....
          -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Lee274 View Post
            Hey guys

Id love to change the pickups in my trusty JS1 guitar.Now i know some might not think its worth it but its a sentimental guitar to me and i love it.The stock pick ups are crap,so id love to know which pick ups i could put in.I cant afford too much,and have looked at some cheaper pick ups but hopefully you guys can advise,or maybe even have a spare set of better humbuckers to sell.This will be my first time ever changing pick ups aswell.

Thanks

Lee
            If you want to place a Want to Buy ad, I'd do it in the classifieds if I were you.

First ask yourself "what is wrong with the current pickups?" Then try to find a set that corrects the problems you find with the current set. Are you sure it's the pickups and not the amp or speakers?

Where are you located? I've help first timers change pickups before.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee274 View Post
              Hey guys

Thanks

Lee
              Experiment to your hearts content. I have gone through an amazing amount of pickups in all price points of guitars.
              They are great way to make a budget axe sound like a million bucks. If you like that axe, do what you want. Take the advice DonP gives also. Really figure what it is you like and dislike about your pickups. Then try to find ones that fill in those gaps.
              I actually use APC Persuader Lead custom in the bridge and either a Felony x or Sphinx in the neck. Its passive and quieter then Actives. They work for me well in any guitar I have them in. They are an option among the vast amounts of choices.

Good luck, and take your time wiring and replace the pots and wiring while you are at it. That can make a ton of difference to.
              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
              A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Another thing, DiMarzio has a Pickup Chooser, you should try and give that a whirl, might help you get an idea of what you want!

Comment

Thanks guys.I cant wait to get this started.Im going to purchase somesome locking tuners next week aswell.

I would place a WTB thread but i dont think im allowed to yet.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                  X