Old model series question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old model series question.

A friend of mine said a guy he used to play with had a Charvel model 2a??? I didn't realise there ever was a 2a. So I told him to describe it to me. He said it was a JT6 with hum, single setup and he thought it had a maple fretboard. What I know about the old model series guitars came from here and what I've found on the net. Anyone know what model I'm talking about? Thanks in advance for your help.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

looked through the catalogs...closest thing i found was a super dinky for japan or a model 5a but neither had a maple fretboard...color me puzzled...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Thanks d.m. I'm wondering, did they do any special runs for stores back then? The story I'm getting is the guy went into a store saw it new and bought it. He's looking for pictures of it but they are in storage so I'm sure there won't be any rush on it. I'm thinking it wasn't a model series at all. It sounds more like a toothpaste logo era one. I don't know....
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
        Thanks d.m. I'm wondering, did they do any special runs for stores back then?
        They did several special runs during the original model series. They did many special runs post-89. When we got the toothpaste logo, they were building the same and other variants with the older guitar logo.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'll be damned. I didn't think there was any such thing as special runs back then.

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
            looked through the catalogs...closest thing i found was a super dinky for japan or a model 5a but neither had a maple fretboard...color me puzzled...d.m.
            Not sure, but I assume the OP is talking about a bolt-on neck. The Model 5A is neck-thru, and it's 1H, not H/S. Though, some 5As went back to the factory and got a slanted neck single and toggle switch added and became the 5FX (some also got a tone control).
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Not sure, but I assume the OP is talking about a bolt-on neck. The Model 5A is neck-thru, and it's 1H, not H/S. Though, some 5As went back to the factory and got a slanted neck single and toggle switch added and became the 5FX (some also got a tone control).
              Correct sir. It was a bolt on.

Comment

Okay. There was a Model 1 and 1A. The Model 2 was 1H, but I don't ever recall a 2A. There was a 3 and 3A (HSS and H/H). Who knows, maybe Charvel did a weird one, or maybe somebody put a mutt together.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks toe...i remembered it was a 5 something...lol...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Okay. There was a Model 1 and 1A. The Model 2 was 1H, but I don't ever recall a 2A. There was a 3 and 3A (HSS and H/H). Who knows, maybe Charvel did a weird one, or maybe somebody put a mutt together.
                    Brand new in the store (not sure what store) in 87-88ish era. I'm waiting on the pictures because he traded a small P.A. system for a 5a when he came home from California so he didn't have to figure out how to get all of his stuff in a Ford Maverick. He bought the 5a because the buddy of his had this Charvel.

Comment

There was also a maple neck variant model 3... 3B or 3M, I'm not sure. There was a 3DR also. There was a variant with a black painted neck. The 5fx was routed for the additional single at the Ft Worth TX office.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X