Need help with a shipping box in Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a shipping box in Phoenix

So I bought another kelly earlier this week and the seller preferred a local sale. So I had my brother in law pick it up for me since he lives in Phoenix. Now I need to get it shipped to me. By chance does anyone in the Phoenix area have a shipping box that will fit a kelly along with the standard Jackson hard shell case? I figured it was worth a shot asking here before I start calling guitar stores out there looking for a box.

I initially had my brother in law take it to a UPS store to get it boxed up and shipped. They quoted him $110 to box it and another $215 to ship it via UPS ground. Talk about getting raped! So I'm looking to see if I can find a box so he can take it to another carrier to ship it to me.

I know it's a long shot but any help is appreciated.

John

Have him buy some cardboard sheets and make a box. That's what I do.
    Wrap the case in bubble wrap and then build the box to fit that dimension.
    I shipped my 5A to Mike Learn that way when I had him paint it.

Oh and use FedEx ground... much cheaper.
    -Rick

Comment

Bike stores often have boxes that they're willing to give away. Also call your local GC. They tear down boxes as soon as stuff is unboxed, but usually they'll tell you when their next shipment is, and they usually don't mind giving away boxes. Also, appliance stores are also a good source for boxes.

Beware though, reusing any box can get your package insurance rejected.

Check out prices for Fed Ex, DHL, and even OnTrack.

Jackson Kelly, KV and Warrior cases will be charged as oversize.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

You will get charged an over dimension fee no matter who you ship with.
        Any music store will give you a box for free.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Try USPS too.

A Kelly is the largest case you can get I think. No wonder it costs so much to ship.

Comment

+1 on hitting up a local music store. Everytime I shipped a guitar (or just about anything) I always found the best variety and supply of good boxes behind music stores.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I use my local pack and ship store and they either have boxes or will make boxes for me. Whe I ship king v's, and they are pretty big, those boxes I use are 48x22x6 when I skin them or 49x25x8 to give some padding. I never pay more than $20-$25 and that's for a brand new heavy duty box with fill. Have your brother try there, they can also try a few different shippers to find you some good rates.
              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I worked as a shipping manager for one of the big companies long ago. I don't know if it still true but reusing a box is acceptable if it the original box. yeah yeah yeah, if you had any jackson box from a GC or something i doubt they would question it. Also any package must have at least 2" of packing material on all sides, be able to withstand a (IIRC) 36" drop as well as hold weight. the problem with making your own box is it does not have a burst seal, which is the stamp on the bottom of the box, any box that doesnt have that will have the claim denied. They have MANY MANY ways of denying a claim read to fine print, i also believe either UPS or Fedex now states they will not insure instruments over a certain age, i know they were trying to do it. Granted this was over 10 years ago and they may have gotten more strict. BTW if you use a UPS store, mail boxes ETC to pack your item 99% of the time they will not deny your claim, hmmm that was back when UPS owned MB etc.
                if its got a nice case go to home depot the cheap 1" foam board is very useful. plus it good if your case in form fit, cut pieces for the case so the guitar doesnt shift.

goodluck

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                Bike stores often have boxes that they're willing to give away. Also call your local GC. They tear down boxes as soon as stuff is unboxed, but usually they'll tell you when their next shipment is, and they usually don't mind giving away boxes. Also, appliance stores are also a good source for boxes.

Beware though, reusing any box can get your package insurance rejected.

Check out prices for Fed Ex, DHL, and even OnTrack.

Jackson Kelly, KV and Warrior cases will be charged as oversize.

Comment

They said $110 to box it? And then $210 to ship on top of that? Holy shit...

The few times I've shipped a guitar I just wrapped the hard shell case with card board boxes I cut up and used a shit load of packing tape. It just has to be covered, it doesn't need to be a legitimate box per say. I remember shipping a DK2 with HSC this way for just over $50 via USPS from MA to somewhere in Canada.

Comment

You can also drive around the back of most malls thats where they toss a lot of boxes. Ive done that a few times and have found boxes of all shapes and sizes ,but Ive had the most luck with appliance stores.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I've shipped plenty of guitars over the years and was just trying to make in easy on my brother in law who has no experience in shipping something like this. I don't want it to be too much of a pain in the ass for him but at the same time want to make sure it gets shipped right. Earlier this year when I shipped a kelly in from Boston, it only cost me $26 insured using a friend's Fedex account. So I about fell out of my chair at work when I got the quote for $325. I even called the store to ask them what they were doing special to charge rates this like. The lady on the phone sounded annoyed that I even questioned her if she ever shipped a guitar before and if anyone else has ever paid the crazy rates she was trying to charge.

Comment

the oversized box thing will get you every time....
                        You guitarplayers have it lucky!!
                        Being a bassplayer there are some models that put a guitar to shame for size, and the most shipping I was ever charged was for a Takamine pointy solidbody from the 80's. look at the package weight, the billable weight, and the dimensions of the actual box -- oversized = ripoff --lol.

I wanted the fucking thing bad enough, and was willing to pay the guy our negotiated price PLUS the 170. He felt bad and reduced the total cost by 55bucks ( the oversized charge ) so I would buy from him again since both of us did not know it was gonna be so expensive.

to show you size, here is the bass that would not even THINK about fitting in a standard bass case or anything close:

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

I shipped a boxed up Kelly in a case from NH to OH about a month ago. It was just under $80 using UPS, and that included insurance for around $1000.

The same day I shipped a boxed up soloist in a case from NH to CA . It was $100 using UPS, and that included insurance for about $1000. Smaller box, but longer distance.

Comment

I bought a Pro Mod at Sam Ash and asked for the original box. They were more than happy to hand it over. I actually ended up returning the guitar, but kept the box (tee hee). I keep a stash of guitar boxes in my garage in case I decide to sell any of mine. I talk about selling guitars a lot, but never do.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              I ended up returning the guitar, but kept the box (tee hee).

I keep a stash of guitar boxes in my garage in case I decide to sell any of mine. I talk about selling guitars a lot, but never do.
                              GMTA
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X