Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wood is my Charvel made of?

Hi there,

I'm currently getting into building my own guitars, so I'm getting interested in woods etc..
    I have a Charvel I bought in '92 which I really like the tone of, and I wonder if any of you would know what wood it is made of.
    The specs on the guitar is:
    Black-metallic Charvel (I believe it is a 650 Custom) neck through guitar with 24 frets (very much like the Jackson soloist in many respects), bound neck and headstock, sharkfin inlays, Schaller Floyd Rose vibrato system, jackson JE-1200 active mid-boost system, Single(neck)-Single(middle)-Humbucker(bridge), all picks-ups were Jacksons at the time I bought it, 5-way toggle, and three controls: volume, tone and mid-boost, and the logo on the head is writen in the same font as the one that is used on Jackson guitars. Rosewood figherboard. One helluva axe!

It looks ectsactly like this:
    http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/archive...-90-page18.jpg

Does anybody know what wood this is made of (both the neck-through part and the "wings")?

Thanks for any replies.

-Mac Gaunaa

By the way: what is used in the Jackson Soloists?

Re: What wood is my Charvel made of?

I believe it is maple neck through to poplar wings. But someone said at one time that it could also be alder, it was whatever they happen to have laying around. I asked the same question about my 650XL when I hopped on the forum a few months ago and that is what they told me. I also believe the the Soloists use maple necks with alder body wings. Alder and poplar are supposed to be very similar tonally. I believe the tone comes mostly from the maple through neck, however (the wings are minimally involved.) The 650 is a great axe. Mine is definitely a keeper.

Comment

Re: What wood is my Charvel made of?

Thanks for the info.
      Yeah, it is a keeper for sure. My handbuilt sevenstringer is a dream, but somehow I find myself playing the old Charvel more often anyway. Somehow it kind of plays itself. I dont have to think much about what I do; only musically, which is about the best compliment any guitar can get, I think...

Thanks again.

-Mac Gaunaa

Comment

Working...
      X