Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to track some history on my charvel Jake E lee guitar

Hey guys!!
    I am new to the forum so first of all i'd like to greet all the members in this forum. =D

I recently got by hands on an old charvel strat (by Jackson/Charvel) which seems to look like a Jake E Lee signature model. But as far as i have researched, i cant find if charvel actually made the signature model. I just want to know if charvel had a Jake E Lee model, and if they did what years were they in production? and what year could mine be from? and any other info i can get on this guitar. The description is as follows

Charvel by Jackson/Charvel
    Serial number 344454
    address: fort worth
    white strat with black pick guard
    1 volume pot and a 5 way pickup selector
    21 frets
    bullet truss rod nut

Pictures at: www.Photobucket.com/jakeelee
    the guitar might seem yellow due to the lights in the room but its actually white.

No such thing as a Jake E Lee Sig model...never existed.

In fact Jake's 'original' white 'Charvel' is not a Charvel at all...it is/was a re-logo'd, customized Fender Strat.

A couple of builders have made forgeries/copies of some or all of Jake's guitars....most notably GMW Guitars.
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

That looks sweet. Might be a 'replica' from the Asias. How does it play?

My GMW with an OFR twist: [logo is aftermarket by previous owner]

Comment

Its probably a Japan only model. None of the imports that were offered here in the states had a strat headstock.
        Lets see a pic of the fingerboard.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Definitely a replica, but I'm trying to be an optimist and trying to figure out which Charvel the neck is from. I have heard of people picking up Fender's and making them into the Jake strat like he did.

Comment

I've never seen a bullet trussrod on any model.
            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

They did make a Jake replica for the Japan market. No idea on the year(s) these were made. Our man in Japan, Quantumrider, may have some info on them. Here's one on the Japanese J/C fan site:

http://www.jacksonguitar.org/gall/gall141.html

Last edited by dg; 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

looks like we have a winner... thats cool. i always liked the Jake pickup setup but just cant do hardtails.

Originally posted by dg View Post
                They did make a Jake replica for the Japan market. No idea on the year(s) these were made. Our man in Japan, Quantumrider, may have some info on them. Here's one on the Japanese J/C fan site:

http://www.jacksonguitar.org/gall/gall141.html

Comment

Yes, that's a MIJ Japanese J.E.Lee model made in the early 90's.... somewhere around 91-93-ish. Those are pretty rare and really nice. Late 90's import stratheads don't have the skunk stripe. If you scored that for under a grand, you did pretty well. I've only seen like 3 of them, including yours, my whole time here for 12-13 years and on ebay.

Not sure if this was a small production run, a limited batch for a Japanese Jackson dealer or if they did a few custom one-offs. Either way, great score. The Japanese factory was putting out stuff as good or better than USA at that point.
                  Last edited by xenophobe; 03-25-2012, 06:01 AM.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

D'OH!!

You'll have to excuse my ignorance...

I'm a USA C/J snob.

I have given ZERO attention to anything outside the USA made stuff.

I stand corrected.
                    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

i payed 400$ for it. I know for a fact that this guitar was imported from japan to my country as the hardcase has a shipping sticker that has details when and how it was imported here. i'll try making a video of the guitar later this week with sound demos for the guys here.

Comment

At $400 you got a steal. I think it'd sell for maybe double that on ebay. Economy is rough so you won't get full value if you tried to sell it now unless there was a bidding war. It's definitely one of the rarest imports you'll ever see, however rare doesn't always mean valuable, but in this case it kinda does. In the early '00s, this guitar would easily have hit $1000+. I knew at least one other bidder other than myself back then that would have gone higher. These were basically identical reproductions of 21 fret SD Stratheads, bathtub route, correct pickguard screw placement for SD strats, etc... just made in Japan.
                        Last edited by xenophobe; 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Oh your GMW looks EPIC!!!
                          the neck feels really good on this guitar and the sound is awesome too. i just need to give it to my guitar tech to rewire the pickups but apart from that, its a great bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Xubxub View Post
                            Oh your GMW looks EPIC!!!
                            the neck feels really good on this guitar and the sound is awesome too. i just need to give it to my guitar tech to rewire the pickups but apart from that, its a great bang for the buck.
                            Yeah, you lucked out. It's easily the equal to the Pro Mods in quality and I'd value it as much as a USA strathead. Some people would die for that 21 fret neck.

Comment

What were the neck and middle pickups on this?
                              I have one but the pickups don't appear to be original.

Comment

Working...
                              X