Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RR2772 View Post
    When??????
    Working on it....still some details to nail down. I want to make sure it is as ACCURATE as can be.

Soon.
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
      Working on it....still some details to nail down. I want to make sure it is as ACCURATE as can be.

Soon.
      Looking forward to it...

Comment

• + 1
        What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

• GREAT thread....much coolness....thanx Curt!!

Comment

TALES FROM THE SHOP...Part II

Chris Holmes, a larger than life survivor from the 80's. It's a miracle he's still with us. VERY EARLY on he was a Charvel/Jackson player... The Blood Star, The Harley Star, The Bud Star and of course...The 'Yellow Shit' Star. The fact that this 'guitar' still survives is even more amazing than Chris being alive!! Did you ever wonder HOW it came to be in the state it's in now??

Here's a recent pic! I mean...damn it's missing the entire lower bout. Most people would have chucked it in the trash by then.

Early on this guitar was a Charvel Custom Yellow Star body with a reverse Strat Headstock and later was replaced with a matching Yellow pointy neck. It soon took a real BEATING as seen here. Abused beyond belief but the guitar is still *somewhat* in one piece. It's had at least 5 different necks on it over it's lifetime.

Here's the story from an employee at the C/J shop as he saw the guitar when it came in for 'repair'....A mere 'bus stop' in it's colorful life!

YELLOW SHIT
            Sometime, somewhere in 1987 during the 'Electric Circus' tour Chris was doing the regular afternoon soundcheck and wasn't happy with what he was hearing. He and the soundboard guy were going at it...Chris was in a BAD mood and his frustration reached a boiling point...He finally says to the sound guy 'You know WHAT...FUCK YOU!!!" as he was pulling the 'Yellow Shit' off over his head. In a split second before anyone could react he had TOMAHAWKED the guitar across the room, end over end, at the sound board...the sound guy instinctively ducked as the guitar crashed against sound console platform with a sickening *CRAAACK*

Fast forward a week later and the guitar...or what was left of it...arrived back at the Charvel/Jackson shop for 'repair'.

There really wasn't much left to repair. The guitar had already been abused before this latest incident, and had a rather large hole in the face near the volume knob. The impact of the recent 'toss' had carried away the whole lower bout and the neck was completely beyond repair. Still Chris loved the guitar so much....he INSISTED that the guitar be fixed. After some serious consideration Mike Shannon settled on a steel 'prosthesis' for the lower bout...pic below. Unreal.

...and of course it was fitted with a new neck ...this one a matching color regular pointy Jackson-logo'd neck...pic below

Chris arrived at the J/C shop to pick it up and it was being given a final setup when he arrived...when finished the J/C employee handed Chris the guitar and said "Here give it a run and see if It needs any adjustment...' Chris smiled a demonic smile and said 'Hey man, you work here and....this is what you were hired to do, so it must be perfect...right?'

P.S. As a side note...it is rumored that the Ibanez Destroyer that Ed Van Halen cut up into a kinda 'Star' shape and used on 'Women & Children First' originally belonged to Chris Holmes.
            Is the pickup melted??? Good god. And here I wipe down my bass after every use, place in securely back in the case.. Silly me. LOL

Comment

'Big White' And The Little Hole'

This one for me is just for fun. Not especially earth-shattering but still an interesting episode in the early Charvel/Jackson history with RATT.

************************************************** ******************

After the major label release of RATT's “Out Of The Cellar” and their smash hit video for “Round & Round”. The band was on a worldwide roll...'Ratt & Roll' to be exact!

Grover Jackson naturally, was pleased with their success and offered both guitarists an endorsement deal... and now both of the new guitar heroes were playing HIS guitars front & center in live shows across the United States. A tour of Japan was the band's next destination and would elevate them to even greater popularity, in fact Japan was where RATT were to become beloved like no other country in the world. All of the members of the band would agree that Japan was their favorite place to play.

Warren & Robbin were thrilled with their new Charvel/Jackson guitars and several more for each were already in the works...several bolt-on 'Strat' style guitars for Warren (with Glenn Matejzel designing the graphics...more on these famous guitars later in Part III!) and a brand new Neck-thru-body model for Robbin, tentatively called a 'Double Rhoads'. Basically a Randy Rhoads model with both wings being the same longer size. This seemingly 'small' change made the overall guitar MUCH bigger, but in Robbin's hands it was a perfect fit.

Robbin had briefly played a white Randy Rhoads 'Student' model (1st pic below) on loan from Grover Jackson while his first Jackson was being built, a Black 'Roundhorn' Flying V (2nd pic below). While he liked the Rhoads, he felt it was too small for him. He was 6 foot 6 inches in height and described that 'It looked like a toy on me!' So in discussion with Grover Jackson it was agreed that a 'Double Rhoads' would be much better proportioned for him.

So while RATT were preparing for their first Japanese Tour, just a week away, Robbin & Warren again visited the San Dimas factory to pick up some new guitars. When they arrived they found that the guitars weren't quite finished and were being worked on '….as we speak, they will be ready very shortly'. While Robbin was in Grover's office talking shop, out on the shop floor, a young employee named Willy Houston was charged with installing the electronics on the first 'Double Rhoads'.

He remembers being 'stressed out' and 'rushed' because Robbin was here in the factory to pick up the new guitar and it wasn't quite ready. With Glenn Matejzel standing nearby watching, Robbin & Grover walked up just in time to see Willy drill the first pilot hole for the bridge volume control...IN THE WRONG PLACE!!! Glenn instantly knew what had happened, Willy had drilled the hole according to a standard 'Rhoads' volume placement template...not taking into account the larger bottom wing and the relative geometry!

While Willy Houston turned absolutely deathly pale white with the drill in his hand.... Grover Jackson turned a fine shade of Purple/RED in the face and was CLEARLY horrified at this seemingly major error...he probably envisioned having to fill the hole and re-finish the entire guitar which meant Robbin would NOT be taking this guitar on tour.

Robbin Crosby, well known for his easy going, good natured attitude took it in stride and chuckled at the mistake and said 'No big deal, it's just a little hole....' In short order the guitar was drilled properly, wired and set up to his satisfaction. He left with the guitar and played it on the Japanese tour. It was also featured in RATT's next video 'Lay It Down'. The 'Little Hole' was forgotten and never fixed and Robbin played the guitar all over the world.

Go back and take a look at ANY picture of that guitar and focus...you will see that extra 'little hole' between the first & second knobs!!!

Here's a few...

One taken in Robbin's Hollywood Hills home circa 1987.

Fast forward and Here's what the guitar (Serial J0139) looks like TODAY in 2013. For the first time in more than 25 years, pictures of the guitar in it's current state.

'No big deal, it's just a little hole....' - Speaks volumes in regards to Robbin's good nature and incredible selflessness. Only adds to his legend as not only a stellar guitarist, but as a first class dude. A rarity these days, unfortunately.

Could you imagine if that guitar was for perennial douchebag Ritchie Blackmore??

Comment

• Wow. Great thread.

I haven't been here much lately...so happy to see this.

Thanks Curt!

Comment

• So are all the actual Double Rhoads guitars accounted for? Not including JCF02's or 25th Anniv DR's. I think I know who has the original Big Red and Curt must have at least four or five of Robbin's. I thought I read somewhere that there were around 10 total DR's made from 1983 - 1988? I'd take out a bank loan if an original ever surfaced for sale.

Comment

• Just reviving this thread...hoping more stories are coming soon!
                    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

What's the story behind this red V? Looks like an early 80's Gibson with an Explorer headstock...I remember seeing a few of those back in the day.

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      So many "Loaned to George Lynch" stories seem to end with "Never to be seen again."
                      As a huge Lynch fan, I find it surprising that I've never heard of any stories like this one...care to share a few?

The only things that remotely come to mind are George scheming to keep Aspen Pittman's purple plexi (he didn't), and walking out of Warren's house with some old Marshall heads while trying to borrow "the" Marshall that Warren refused to loan him (done good in good nature and all of which were returned).

Great thread...thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

• WE NEED MORE!!!!!!!!
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

P.S. As a side note...it is rumored that the Ibanez Destroyer that Ed Van Halen cut up into a kinda 'Star' shape and used on 'Women & Children First' originally belonged to Chris Holmes.
                          I heard Ed bought his Destroyer after Chris lent his to him, then cut it up. After he realized he "destroyed" the tone, he borrowed Chris' Destroyer to use for some recordings. I can't recall where I heard this, so I'll try and find the source.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                            I heard Ed bought his Destroyer after Chris lent his to him, then cut it up. After he realized he "destroyed" the tone, he borrowed Chris' Destroyer to use for some recordings. I can't recall where I heard this, so I'll try and find the source.
                            MetalHeadMat is right. He borrowed Chris Holmes guitar and after returning it bought his own.
                            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

• Just wanted to bump this because hellraiser's stories about robbin and ratt are fantastic! Any chance of a part 3?
                              sigpic

Comment

• Tales from NAMM 2005

I have a Hellraiser story.

After the show everyone was filing out of the building. Out front are walls with plants and trees in the middle. Sitting on the wall with some girl is Eddie Ojeda from twisted sister. Hellraiser being a really funny guy decides to have some fun and walks over, sits down next to Ojeda. At this point Ojeda must think Hellraiser recognizes him.

Eddie looks over at him and Kurt say "Hey, know where I can get a good taco around here?
                                Eddie with a puzzled look replies "What???????"
                                Kurt repeats .. Know where I can get a good taco around here?
                                Eddie blurts out .."How the fuck should I know, I'm from brooklyn .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2447578
                                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Working...
                                X