Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are not the only ones who like Jacksons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are not the only ones who like Jacksons...

Today I went to a local music store down the street where I live to see any deals they had, as they are closing down soon. I got to look at the stock they had, a lot of ESPs/LTDs, Schecters, Fenders, Ibanezes, Deans, Import Jacksons...

Lo and behold, two USA Soloists, an SL2ht in Natural Flame and an SL2h in Lightening Sky were on the top near the ceiling...

The owner of the store walked in and asked me if there was anything I wanted to see and I said I wanted to see the Jacksons. He said he only reserves those for those who are seriously buying, which I understand. I am out of a job and trying to sell some gear myself, so affording a new Jackson, even with the discounts they were having, would be rough. But damn where they sweet and did I want those two babies...

We began to talk Jackson for a bit and the man had nothing but praise for the company. After a bit he brought down the SL2ht and he let me look at it for a bit, probably the best flame I had ever seen on a guitar. He began to explain a lot of the positives that Jackson does with their design down to every last detail and said "Jackson (USA) Does their guitars RIGHT. They have mastered the art of building the perfect shred guitar. Anybody ridiculing Jackson USA does not know what they are talking about." He also gave more information that corresponds to Racerx's tour of the factory to the letter. He even had a chance to visit the factory.

We began to talk about other guitars as well, as I was also looking into some ESP Standard Series, Ibanez Prestiges, B.C. Riches, Deans, Washburns, and more Jacksons and he said he is not "closing" the store, just moving to a warehouse and is going to start online distribution instead. He said he might not carry Jacksons anymore, unfortunately "No one wants to buy them right now, people are not even buying Fenders. People want Schecters, Ibanez, ESPs, ect. A few years ago no one was buying Ibanez, now everyone is playing them, so who knows what will happen in the future it is just the way the market works, at least for now, but with the way the economy is I cannot be stocking guitars no one is buying. Unfortunate, ESP may be a good guitar, but it is no way near a Jackson."

Problem is he is right. I have friends who just love nothing but Fender, Gibson, ESP, ect. When I bring over my Jackson or Carvin or my Ibanez RG550, they go "WTF IS THIS? This thing is sweet why have I never heard of it?" :think:

He praised me for being the first 20 year old to actually do research, look into and try out different guitars before actually buying them, as most people around my age just buy for the bands who play them. I really liked the man, he seemed to steer me towards what he thought was good, not what was popular and he gave it to me straight and some insights onto guitar parts and the way some are built, and information about a few companies, gave me an overall more positive outlook on the guitar industry and the options we have. But, like everyone other business, people need to make money...

Anyone have any similar experiences with meeting other people outside of here who are fans of Jacksons? I mean I am on a couple of non biased forums where people absolutely love Jacksons, but ever met people who have had such love for Jackson outside of here?

I take theory classes from one of the professors at the local community college. As such I usually meet him over there in the music department. I run into many Jazz or Blues guitar players while waiting. Usually they have never heard of or had little experience playing Jacksons. Like clockwork after letting them play my SL1 they develop a keening desire to own one. The company just seems so small now with such a limited base that its difficult to expect up and coming guitar players to know anything about them.
    1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
    2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
    2008 Satin Black SL3
    2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
    2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Yeah, just go over to sevenstring. Nothing but kids with Ibanez which I don't get one bit. Jackson has much better guitars especially at the high end.
      2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
      Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

I see this alot too.. I have friends that think Gibson is the best everything else is just a guitar.. I call them Headstock players. specially since i have a LP Custom and a 565 dollar Neckthru Agile that plays just as good if not better..

But thats a neverending arguement right there..

I like to pop out a Y2KV or Soloist and 9/10 times i get the same response.. super nice but never heard of them. Guess they didnt pay much attention to OH Half the hair metal and death metal bands in the mid 80's and 90's LOL

Its really all about hype and marketing i think. Get the big bands playing Certain guitars and almost all the fans will buy that guitar because there band plays that guitar.. Im guilty of it..

Honestly i think Jackson is on the verge again of a major breakout. Starting to see more and more of em. Even went to a local band not to long ago and dude was Playing a RR2. About fell over when i saw that..

I think the next 5 years will be some interesting times for guitars and companies..

Comment

Gibson are making mostly shit these day. If I was going to buy Gibson I'd buy "old".
          2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
          Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

It's pretty funny to read that over there in the States very few people know about Jackson when pretty much everybody i've ever hung out with (or been in a band with, jammed with, etc.) over here in Europe has either played, owned or at very least has heard of Jackson. In Europe mind, where Jacksons aren't as easy to come by as in the US. I dunno, maybe it's the music i listen to, Jacksons are pretty much commonplace alongside BC Rich in extreme Metal. On the other hand, it definitely is all about hype and marketing like Corpsegrinder88 said - if Jackson manage to grab some big names, which they have done with Megadeth, then people will start to take more notice.
            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I have no doubt that Jackson will rise in the next few years. We have new artists on the roster, some are more popular.

All I hope that it will be enough we wil have new USA Models.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                It's pretty funny to read that over there in the States very few people know about Jackson when pretty much everybody i've ever hung out with (or been in a band with, jammed with, etc.) over here in Europe has either played, owned or at very least has heard of Jackson. In Europe mind, where Jacksons aren't as easy to come by as in the US. I dunno, maybe it's the music i listen to, Jacksons are pretty much commonplace alongside BC Rich in extreme Metal. On the other hand, it definitely is all about hype and marketing like Corpsegrinder88 said - if Jackson manage to grab some big names, which they have done with Megadeth, then people will start to take more notice.

With this new bullshit Djent phase it's all about Ibanez it seems, probably only becuase that Bulb dude played one. Same with Ass FX.

Comment

Originally posted by Animus View Post
                  With this new bullshit Djent phase it's all about Ibanez it seems.
                  Misha, the man behind Periphery, has just started endorsing Jackson and is using a custom shop Soloist and an Adrian smith this tour.

Comment

Interesting, all his GW videos he's playing a Bernie Rico Jr.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      Interesting, all his GW videos he's playing a Bernie Rico Jr.
                      He is still with them too, but he JUST got with Jackson and the guitars he is using.

Comment

Originally posted by church2224 View Post
                        Misha, the man behind Periphery, has just started endorsing Jackson and is using a custom shop Soloist and an Adrian smith this tour.

Finally got some taste then. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by church2224 View Post
                          I have no doubt that Jackson will rise in the next few years. We have new artists on the roster, some are more popular.

All I hope that it will be enough we wil have new USA Models.

I don't think they will rise again. I think they are great guitars, but honestly can't touch my PRS' in terms of playabillity and quality. I have a CS KV2 and the maple top, however, trumps most PRS' I have ever seen.
                          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                            I don't think they will rise again. I think they are great guitars, but honestly can't touch my PRS' in terms of playabillity and quality. I have a CS KV2 and the maple top, however, trumps most PRS' I have ever seen.
                            Jackson has no intent of competing with PRS. They want to compete with ESP, Schecter, B.C. Rich, Dean and Ibanez. And those are the companies they are targeting.

PRS is a great guitar but that is comparing Apples and Oranges. You are comparing a versatile near boutique instrument with a guitar designed for shredders and metal heads in mind. A WHOLE different group of players.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post

I've played a PRS since 1992 and played quite a few others. A Jackson SLATQH shits all over any PRS anyday, in terms of playability, looks AND sound.. I recently sold my prefactory CE24. I had bought a PRS Singlecut too. What a waste of money. One of the shittiest sounding and nasal guitars I have ever played (wasn't pickups, sounded like that acoustically too); and it was unbalanced and wouldn't stay put when sitting down without it wanting to slide off ass-end. PRS is furniture. And what's up with that freaking heel nowadays. Ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant. :-) Had to get that off my chest after being let down by PRS.
                              Last edited by Animus; 09-01-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X